Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Tail of the Dragon claims buddy's bike.  (Read 12989 times)

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Tail of the Dragon claims buddy's bike.
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »

Got word yesterday a friend of mine put his 09 SERG over a cliff on or near the Dragon. He saw it was going to go so he just let 'er go, said it looked like a pretzel, they call him Cliff now, don't know if he was marked up or not but I think he's fine. He's been on it before so I wonder if it was just a mistake or took it a bit fast? I've never been on it but I think it deserves a lot of respect. Anyone else have mishaps on this road, if so hope everything turned out okay. :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Tail of the Dragon claims buddy's bike.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:33:36 PM »

We were back there a few years ago.....didn't notice many Harley parts in that tree of shame.  But I don't think he's the first CVO.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »

Just talked to my buddy, guess everything was going good, not speeding but went to make a curve, kickstand kind of dug in somehow, slid out from under him and away it went. Asked if he put anything on the tree, he said no, lol. :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »

Glad he's ok.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »

Good to hear he is alright. I think the road is way over rated and I can find you more challenging roads than that one. There are no first gear or pull in the clutch turns and very little elevation changes in the corners. The traffic can be the biggest hazard that I will concede.

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »

Always encouraging to hear about new roads, I'm sure there are alot in other threads, I'll have to read on, thanks all. :huepfenjump3:
Randy D

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »

Always encouraging to hear about new roads, I'm sure there are alot in other threads, I'll have to read on, thanks all. :huepfenjump3:

Hey Big Dog I was "training" my wife as a new rider to go down and do the Dragon on some local curvy roads in Claiborne, Hancock and Greene counties of east TN. When we went to the Dragon it was a let down as the "trainer" roads were more difficult.  She did crash in the gravel at the bottom in one of the parking lots. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

frankshd

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5-BLK 2010 452 of 999
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »

421 the snake is a lot more of a challange   startes in boone to almost to bristol 
D&D 2-1 a/c tts master tune corbin seat,

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:01:06 AM »

Frank & Dr D are correct!!! Many, many roads in East TN & West NC that put the Dragon to shame......don't really understand how it got so popular.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »

Frank & Dr D are correct!!! Many, many roads in East TN & West NC that put the Dragon to shame......don't really understand how it got so popular.

Many roads all over the west and here in Nor Cal that fit that bill.  We were also wondering what the big deal was....seems pretty tame by most standards.  Having thought about it, I think it's because if you're from that area where it's relatively flat (they have hills that vary in elevation 2,500-3,000 ft. and call them mountains) then the Dragon would be exciting.  It's all relevant. :2vrolijk_21:

I remember when we flew into Florida and Jorge picked us up at the airport he took us to the hills and twisties........the first freeway on/off ramps. :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »

:huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :orange:

Ride "the Coronado Trail"  (also called 191) from Alpine, AZ to Clifton, AZ.  The best one day ride I have ever ridden.  (PAC 1 is the best three day ride).

Or 152 in New Mexico is awesome.

And 78 in AZ.

Can ride all three in one day.  Absolutely awesome.  BTW don't go in the summer.  It's there monsoon season.

Great roads, great curves, huge elevation changes,  hairpins, long fast sweepers etc.

Bear tooth and million dollar don't compare.

IMHO

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Apehanger

• Beer, It's whats for dinner...

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »

Got word yesterday a friend of mine put his 09 SERG over a cliff on or near the Dragon. He saw it was going to go so he just let 'er go, said it looked like a pretzel, they call him Cliff now, don't know if he was marked up or not but I think he's fine. He's been on it before so I wonder if it was just a mistake or took it a bit fast? I've never been on it but I think it deserves a lot of respect. Anyone else have mishaps on this road, if so hope everything turned out okay. :2vrolijk_21:
Interesting, my buddy was just down there with guys from all over Alberta and had the same story about the same bike... Small world?

Apehanger

• Beer, It's whats for dinner...

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »

Here is the pic of the bike that I was talking about in my last post...  Glad the guy is alright, too bad about the bike... I heard he didn't even make it to the Tail of the Dragon....

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »

Sorry to hear about the H-D, Glad the rider is ok. As to difficult roads, I think anyone who attended the Western GTF in San Diego would tell you that the Palomar Mtn Rd can hold it's own on the difficulty scale with any you'll find in the USA.

B B

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »

Calif. sure has more than it's fair share of motorcycle roads.  Take a look at the photos in this guys ride report.....  http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29250

Some of us on this forum will be riding these same roads in Nor Cal next month. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 24 queries.