Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Tail of the Dragon claims buddy's bike.  (Read 13034 times)

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Re: Tail of the Dragon claims buddy's bike.
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »

Glad your buddy is ok can always get or repair the bike good "buddies" harder to replace. Noticed the beverage container in the pic was damaged also could that have been involved? Just asking.

I know, that little red box in the pic doesn't help the matter and I wasn't on this trip to say if it was or wasn't a factor so I'll just stick with him being okay. I'm sure "pops" and riding are a bone of contention in every aspect of riding (I prefer Gatorade or Pepsi) but I think that's left for another thread, thanks though for your concerns. :2vrolijk_21:   
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »

Well we sure made that Dragon a puppy. :huepfenlol2:

I am very sure that there are many roads that better but this one is famous. How many other roads have five photographers making a living on the route? :P I am coming out west this summer to Simon's area and will look to see if those other roads are close.

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »

Just playing with you. I prefer water most of the time but surely am not in a position to judge anyone I did not get this many miles on myself without a few bumps.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 04:35:09 PM »

Awwwwww come on dude, I was up there on my RG just three weeks ago. Topanga Canyon's the only one that comes close to the Dragon. The rest of those roads are for LA wannebe crotch rocket riders. Which YOU are not, so I expect better of you  :D :D :D :D

B B

LOL, Tail of the Dragon? Give me a break, I grew up there and spent the first 25 years of my life on those roads. I have done all those roads on BSAs and a Norton before anyone could afford a Harley. To me it is boring and I left more than a few mufflers along that streach in the late 60's and early 70's. I guess anything gets boring if you ride it enought times.

Topanga Canyon is nothing. There are plenty of seldom travelled roads between the 101 and the 1 that are spectacular. If you watch older Vrod adds, and some of the old hotrod bike shows, or alot of fast car commercials, a lot of them were filmed in that area. Start out with the Rockstore and spend some time with the local riders hanging out there. They can show you the best roads around. I lived there in TO for 20 years and have travelled most of this country, some of the best roads are still in the hills between Thousand Oaks and Malibu Beach (with possibly the roads in the Black Hills here as an exception.). One of those backroad routes has a reputation because of the number of accidents caused by turns so tight and the roads so narrow, that head-ons are frequent. Like I said; (and I stand by it), the best roads are hidden up in those hills. Again, Topanga Canyon is a tourist route with not that much to inspire in my humble opinion...

Plenty of my friends there can hang with the Sport bike guys riding their Harleys. They ride Harleys hard in those hills, just like the sport bike boys. Some good roads there are Encinal canyon, Latigo Canyon Rd, Piuma Rd, Cold Canyon Rd, Stunt Rd, Saddle Peak Rd, Tuna Canyon rd, just to name a few. For beautiful leasurely ride do all of Mulholland Rd to the Ocean and explore all the side roads along the way. Plus nothing beats California for weather and it rains everyday in Georgia (usually between noon and five, LOL - remember, I was born there..). Plus, in Georgia you have to put up with Rednecks like me, LOL.. :)

jb

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 07:43:49 PM »

YeeHaw, we got ourselves a real discussion goin on here folks !

B B

PS
    How's the guy this thread was started about doing ? How'd he make out with his insurance ? You know on topic stuff    :huepfenjump3:

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »

He has replacement value on his bike so what he gets next I don't know, he is looking at a SESG but he might wait until the 2012s come out to see if "maybe" a 120R comes out in any of the CVOs, I did put him on to this site to join and the wealth of information regarding performance upgrades as he went 113 right out of the box from 110 and it didn't really run right. All in all luckily, just the pride took a hit, I said he could "buff" it out, :oops:
Randy D

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »

For any members new to the SoCal area and anyone else finding themselves in San Diego County - - - -The following is what you get if you Google Palomar Mountain Road Motorcycles

" Don't take this route for the scenery ... you'll need to keep your eyes on the road! Take it for the challenge as it "is the most technical road in Southern California." The scenery is great though as you'll be climbing mountains and have great vistas of the surrounding areas and you'll be traveling through some lush forests. Overall it is much more than just a technical route as it offers some of the best scenery in Southern California! The route is perched up high in a secluded mountain peak in the Cleveland National Forest. In fact it passes right by the Palomar Mountain Observatory (space telescope). And, you know if the government selected a site in southern California for a high powered telescope that they chose an area that not only has exceptional elevation but also is far removed from civilization and resulting light pollution … so you know this area has to be pristine … and it is!.     
      Rock solid 5 in the motorcycle road quality category. Multiple decreasing radius turns thrown in to back to back hairpin turns, add a few smooth snake turns and a few long sweepers and you have yourself a darn good ride. "

B B

We were on Mt. Palomar on May 1st. What a ride!!  And if you're there on a weekend you can get a pic of yourself from rickclemsonphotgraphy.com.

2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »

Hey big dog!!, it's Steve. Glad to see you on here!! I was with you know who when he wrecked, wasn't really on the dragon, about 5 miles south actually. When you commin' to Dead Rear?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:20:57 PM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 11:05:45 AM »

We were on Mt. Palomar on May 1st. What a ride!!  And if you're there on a weekend you can get a pic of yourself from rickclemsonphotgraphy.com.

That's a sweet Road Glide. Love the paint. Welcome to the site

B B

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »

Nice ride up to Palomar...and then wherever they took me afterwards was nice too...Lake Hessesaw? Julian? Nice n cool, beauty pavement, ahhh Cali..

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 06:31:22 PM »

Steve-O!! Yea, I kind of thought it was a little ways from where I was told it happened but now it's all cleared up but rec'd some nice road information from all those that posted. Waiting for a new C&C seat from Cali and looking to order some Works coil over shocks to get rid of my air suspension, next will be J&M amp and speakers, frig the cc is taking a hit since I came to this site and I love my new US box number! lol. Looking to maybe riding up this summer, if I can afford it, say hi to B for me! :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D

grinner

• Happy Idiot
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: No CVO's At Present
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 11:47:08 AM »

I put a brand new Lindby crash bar up in the tree back in August of 2009 - dang thing just fell off my new Capt. Morgan SESG for no reason whatsoever..........

That Lindby now has another whole group of parts hanging from it!  Ridden the Dragon probably 15 times since then - no additional contributions have been offered to the tree......

Can everyone say "Lesson Learned"?

Grinner John
1988 Honda Hurricane
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
2008 Aprilia RSVr (track)
2008 Honda GL1800
2009 Aprilia Tuono 1000R (track)
2009 Aprilia RSVR
2011 BMW G650GS (dual)
2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC (Screamer)
2012 HD XR1200x Sportster

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »

I put a brand new Lindby crash bar up in the tree back in August of 2009 - dang thing just fell off my new Capt. Morgan SESG for no reason whatsoever..........

That Lindby now has another whole group of parts hanging from it!  Ridden the Dragon probably 15 times since then - no additional contributions have been offered to the tree......

Can everyone say "Lesson Learned"?

Grinner John
Hey John, or as Hubbard would say: 'There endth the lesson'.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 08:38:34 AM »

Frank & Dr D are correct!!! Many, many roads in East TN & West NC that put the Dragon to shame......don't really understand how it got so popular.

The internet and some dude trying to make money on t shirts ruined it .

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »

Funny. The single most popular spot for a CVO get together is now a beginners ride, so blasé.

Fact is, it is a short stretch of road with a lot of turns and some are challenging. Not everyone who goes there has ridden the 24 of Daytona.

As much as I like 129, I find 28 to be a more pleasurable ride, less stress swinging an 800 pound bike around.
There are roads that are better, more challenging perhaps, and some not very far from 129.

But the mystique is with the "Dragon" and because of it has the greatest number of CVO riders joining up.

My brother was in the airborne in the late 70's early 80's in NC. That was the first time I rode the dragon, wasn't the dragon then, just an obscure road with limited access that you were lucky enough to maybe get some gas for the ride back.

Its fun in a truck too. After the 06 rally, I happened to be there during the overnight storm that closed 441 and the Foothills Parkway. Next morning I had a damp, debris covered road to myself. Put the truck in 4wd and went up and down a total of 5 times at speeds I could never do on a bike, now that was fun.

Am I to understand that cvoharley has get togethers around Pigeon Forge on a regular basis?

I'm not all that far from there.  In fact the wife and I are headed that way next week.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.