Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Six Speed Tranny  (Read 2239 times)

cvoman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Six Speed Tranny
« on: May 06, 2006, 01:33:03 PM »

I recently bought the FLSTFSE2 in purple/copper color.  Love the bike.  Put on V/H bigshots with Screaming Eagle race tuner.  Dyno'd at 105 torque and 103 horse.

Anyone out there with a similar config that has a six speed?  I am wondering if it is worth the money (screaming eagle kit around $2500).  I do some highway riding.  If worth it, any suggestions on options?

Thanks

CVOMan
cvoman

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
Re: Six Speed Tranny
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 08:52:38 PM »

I recently bought the FLSTFSE2 in purple/copper color.  Love the bike.  Put on V/H bigshots with Screaming Eagle race tuner.  Dyno'd at 105 torque and 103 horse.

Anyone out there with a similar config that has a six speed?  I am wondering if it is worth the money (screaming eagle kit around $2500).  I do some highway riding.  If worth it, any suggestions on options?

Thanks

CVOMan

Cvoman, wow those sound like some great #'s, did you get a copy of it, I would like to see what your chart looks like. I just turned my 1000mi, (all stock setup) and I am bringing mine in next friday for the same exact install, SERT & V&H bigshot staggered and K&N filter, I will be very happy if I get similar results. I am going to have them do a baseline pull with the current stock setup, and then have them install everything and tweak it in. I will post my results to compair.

as far as the 6 speed, It depends on how much high 2 and 3 digit highway miles you tend to ride, it lowers your final about 300 rpm, but if you dont take it over 75 you wont even use it, these motors dont like to be lugged, i keep the rpm above 2500 too keep her happy. there a few other threads on the very topic, here is one that talks about the pros and cons in depth http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1141947080/0, read up on it before you decide, there's some talk about it robbing some ponies from you!
good luck
[size=18]EAGLE1[/size]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 08:53:09 PM by EAGLE1 »
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

cvoman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 11:26:28 AM »

Eagle1
I have the charts but need to scan them.  Will do so and post in the next day or so.  They look awesome.  Thanks for the leads on the six speed.  I usually ride 60-70MPH.  At 70, I am about 3000 RPM in 5th.  Sounds like the is not worth the upgrade but will continue to read up.

CVOMan
cvoman

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 06:02:17 PM »

I installed the SE 6sp kit and while I had it apart installed a chrome inner primary and primary cam chain tensioner.  My dealer gives me 20% on parts and since it was all apart for the tranny install anyway, the chrome inner and tensioner was no cost [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I would estimate I'm getting a 500-600rpm drop in top gear at 70mph. Is it worth it?  Well if you're doing a lot of highway moles then the answer is yes.  If you have a bagger the answer is hell yes.  On my FB, with the bulk of my driving in 3rd, 4th and 5th due to the great twisty roads I have to choose from around here 8-), it's probably not worth so much ::)

rhallman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 09:56:33 PM »

Fatboyse2

Did you install the SE Gearset upgrade in the original casting....or go with a full Tranny?  Im in the middle of deciding on a Baker...or going with just the SE upgrade gearset. Here in Nevada there's a bunch of highway driving, and think having the overdrive is a good thing. Currently have the Freedom Pipes...PCIII....Gear Drive Cam upgrade all from Brad at Freedom Cycle (Plus his special custom dyno map).  

The Baker is a bit spendy.....but if its not much of an improvement over the SE Kit...Ill go that direction.

Thanks..Rich  Reno NV

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 10:52:46 PM »

I had my dealer install a HD speed before I picked up my new 06 cuse.
I left the stock sprockets on. To tell you the truth I don't use 6'th gear under 80 mph. It drops me down to low in the rpm's below 80. I am having freedom install their performance package & cam tomorow, perhaps with the torque curve comming on arounf 2k rpm it may make a difference.

The really bad news: I just had my 1k service and they found pieces of gears and a lot of steel and aluminum chips in the tranny pan. OUCH :'( :'(.
So off to my dealer on Tuesday for a replacement gear set and a lot of explaing on the dealers part. Sounds like a really poor installation to me. In case you don't know if you use your old trany case the dealer has to modify the case with a grinder. I guess they did not flush out the case after the grinding.

SanJoseDuke
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 09:10:50 AM »

I've only had the Bakers DD6 in for about 400 miles. Without a doubt I'm glad I installed the gear set. If your not a highway guy or a 75 MPH plus rider than save your money. I pretty much idle at 70 so it is well worth it for me. I've only run two tanks of fuel through the bike since the install and I noticed the mileage increase immediately.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 06:16:44 PM »

Fatboyse2

Did you install the SE Gearset upgrade in the original casting....or go with a full Tranny?  Im in the middle of deciding on a Baker...or going with just the SE upgrade gearset. Here in Nevada there's a bunch of highway driving, and think having the overdrive is a good thing. Currently have the Freedom Pipes...PCIII....Gear Drive Cam upgrade all from Brad at Freedom Cycle (Plus his special custom dyno map).  

The Baker is a bit spendy.....but if its not much of an improvement over the SE Kit...Ill go that direction.

Thanks..Rich  Reno NV

I installed the gears in my existing case, you will also need a new cover plate for the 6 speed.

FB

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 06:58:09 PM »

Fatboyse2

Thanks..Rich  Reno NV

Rich,

I would have Brad at Freedom Cycles, hook you up with the Baker 6 Speed
When I was back getting my Gear Drive Cams, I asked Brad the same question you are asking here.
Brad leaned towards the Baker 6 Speed, I didn't get it done as I was transferred to Iowa the next month.
However, if I make it to Street Vibrations I will have Brad do a Baker 6 Speed cause with his setup there is a need for a 6 speed...IMHO

jeffj

rhallman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 10:44:29 AM »

Jeffj...

Brad mentioned the same thing when he finished up his gear drive cam upgrade on my bike.  Later this summer after Street Vibrations...Im going to have him do my heads as well as install his new exhaust he is working on.  He seems to have had great results from the Baker system and so far he has been right on for my bike.  By far one of the best guys to deal with!!  The whole team there (Freedom Cycles) has been fantastic...Best part is that they are 1 block from where I work....or maybe thats not such a good deal!  ;)

Rich

Hotrodracer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 06:48:57 PM »

I had the HD complete 6 speed (case & greas) installed on my 05 FBSE. I love it. Can cruse at 70 mph at 23 to 2500 rpm. 80mph is around 3000 rpm. I also left the stock sprockets on.

Anyone want a complete 5 speed I have one for sale.
Let's Ride

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.