Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Installing J&M 500 W amp, and running out of room in batwing.  (Read 4392 times)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Installing J&M 500 W amp, and running out of room in batwing.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »

bluegoose, props to you for posting the picture and wiring diagram.

Did you use the foam J&M supplies with the speakers to line the inner fairing?

Congrats on the installation, and thanks, again.

Carl

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 08:57:23 PM »

Yes I did use the foam.  Since I posted the wiring picture I have moved my wiring a little more and have a better fit.  Just takes time to get everything in place.  Basically left the fairing on overnight, removed it this morning and looked for indentions in the foam - adjusted wires in these areas as best I could.  Fairing fits very well know.  I was concerned about possible heat from the amp so I had the system on for about 4 straight hours today - no issues - amp was just warm to the touch.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »

bluegoose, when I retrofitted the HK head unit, non-Ultra overlay harness, CB, Arc 125.2 amp, and other stuff on my '04 EG, I went through a series of rearranging the various harnesses and connectors each time the outer fairing was removed that ultimately resulted in the outer fairing going from tight/difficult to reinstall to the point where now the outer fairing goes on with virtually zero pressure to overcome any interference. 

If you have the outer fairing off again, please measure the distance between the bottom of the bracket the amp is mounted on, to the top of the HK radio.  I'm currently using a bracket from a member here (141_starlifter) that does essentially the same thing the J&M brackets do, and I'd like to know the referenced measurement to compare that to his bracket since I may decide to install the Arc 125.4 amp (very similar to J&M's 500W amp).

Carl     

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 09:56:35 PM »

Well,

Fuses are all good, none of them are blown.  I took the fairing off again, it looks like all the pins in the 35 pin connector are tight, nothing seems loose.  I let the stereo play for a while and I put my hand over the amp under the tour pack and it doesn't appear to be getting warm.  I still question if the amp is putting out the 140 watts as it supposed to, however I have no idea on what I should try to do next.  Volume isn't what it used to be, I don't think it's anything I did wrong during the install.  For those of you with the ipod interface, you did connect the red/blue & and black/blue as it instructs if you don't have the blue tooth for cell phone interface?  Also, the harness that comes with the interface has the one plug that you just cap off using the cap they provided right?  If I did those two things correctly I have no clue what the problem would be?  Maybe a bad amp, but it worked fine before i started this project?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  You can call me on my cell if you have any thoughts.  734 645 1335, right now I have it all torn apart waiting to hear some electronic genius?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »

I went through a series of rearranging the various harnesses and connectors each time the outer fairing was removed that ultimately resulted in the outer fairing going from tight/difficult to reinstall to the point where now the outer fairing goes on with virtually zero pressure to overcome any interference. 

Carl - This is exactly the process I went through.  I have everything back together with no current plans to remove the fairing.  The next time I take the fairing off I will try to remember to get this measurement for you.  Sorry

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »

bluegoose, no problem here.  I did as you suggested and PM'ed Motor1 and ultrafan.  If I hear from them, I'll post the information comparing the two brackets.

Carl

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 03:05:50 PM »

Would there be more room to install this amp, or the ARC 125.4 mini if an Alpine head unit was used? 
Thanks for any insight.
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 10:15:44 AM »

bluegoose, when I retrofitted the HK head unit, non-Ultra overlay harness, CB, Arc 125.2 amp, and other stuff on my '04 EG, I went through a series of rearranging the various harnesses and connectors each time the outer fairing was removed that ultimately resulted in the outer fairing going from tight/difficult to reinstall to the point where now the outer fairing goes on with virtually zero pressure to overcome any interference. 

If you have the outer fairing off again, please measure the distance between the bottom of the bracket the amp is mounted on, to the top of the HK radio.  I'm currently using a bracket from a member here (141_starlifter) that does essentially the same thing the J&M brackets do, and I'd like to know the referenced measurement to compare that to his bracket since I may decide to install the Arc 125.4 amp (very similar to J&M's 500W amp).

Carl     

Carl, my plan is too to install the ARC 125.4. However, it will sit on top of an Alpine head unit, which should give me about an inch more room for it to fit under the guages. Still working on the brackets to be used - and other details.
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 20 queries.