Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: LOSING MY DAD  (Read 7763 times)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
LOSING MY DAD
« on: May 09, 2006, 05:22:46 AM »

IM ONLY POSTING  THIS BECAUSE OF ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE THAT ARE MEMBERS OF THIS SITE AND HOW THEY CARE AND REACH OUT TO HELP OTHERS IN A TIME OF NEED.
I WAS INFORMED THIS PAST FRIDAY MY FATHER IS TERMINALY ILL WITH LUNG CANCER AND HAS ONLY A SHORT TIME LEFT WITH US. IM WAITING FOR HIS RELEASE FROM THE HOSPITAL SO I CAN GO SPEND SOME TIME WITH HIM BEFORE HE PASSES. HE'S ONLY 69 AND HE STILL RIDES & LOVES TO GOFAST. I HAD THE TIME TO GO SPEND SOME TIME WITH HIM THIS PAST SUMMER FOR SOME GOOD QUALITY TIME OF RIDING,FISHING,& A COUPLE COLD BEERS. AS MOST OF KNOW OUR FATHERS TAUGHT US MOST OF THE THINGS THAT WE ENJOY DOING TODAY, SUCH AS MOTORCYCLES,HUNTING,FISHING,AND MOST IMPORTANT FAMILY MORALS. MY DAD & I ARE BROTHERS NAD EVEN THOUGH WE LIVE 1200 MILES APART WE ALWAYS CALL EACH OTHER ON THE WEEKENDS FOR A CHAT. THIS IS THE PART THAT WE'LL MISS!!!I GLAD I GOT THE CHANCE TO SHARE THIS WITH ALL YOU THAT READ THIS AND IF YOUR PARENTS ARE STILL WITH YOU,JUST CALL THEM AND TELL THEM TOU LOVE THEM, BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN GOD CAN CALL THEM HOME.

GOD BLESS   DAVE
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
Re: LOSING MY DAD
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 06:28:13 AM »

Gettinold,
Sorry to hear your news bro, I hope that his time left is relatively painfree. Try to give him a few laughs and all the love you can.
 You just being there for him will be a hugh gift to him I'm sure..
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:06:57 AM »

I lost my Dad in 1995 and my Mom in 2002.  Be glad that you had those fine old folks for as long as you did.  That's the way I look at it, anyway.

It sounds wonderful that you've kept in touch through adulthood and still talk regularly.  I'd say to spend as much good time with him as possible in the near future.  I still remember the last few visits I had with my Dad, sitting on his front porch, just chewing the fat about stuff.  Funny how great a simple conversation seems, now.

When I was a teenager, I dreaded the idea that I might one day be like my Dad.  Now, I'd be honored.  Sounds like you are, too.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:24:57 AM »

Dave I am truly sorry about the news of your dad. I myself am real close to my dad.We talk all the time and he is now 61 ,will be 62 in a few months. I don't even want to venture a guess on how you feel right now but just be glad that you have the time to sit with him and tell him exactly how you feel and thank him for being your dad. My heart and prayers go out to you and your pop. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 09:14:29 AM »

Dave sorry to here about your dad,  I have a simmilar issue with my father who has been battling cancer for about a year and has now been given 6 months.  They aren't here forever so spend as much time with them as you can while they are here.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 09:21:09 AM »

Losing my dad to cancer in 1983, al I can say is be there for him, make him comfortable, and have some fun with him quickly before he goes downhill.  Magoo, I'm really sorry.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 10:15:27 AM »

Gettinold,
So very sorry to hear about your Dad, I to have lost both my Parents and just have to say just like all the rest spend as much time as you can with him. It's very hard but it's something you will never forget.

Don

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 10:21:46 AM »

I was saddened to read your post about your father's illness.  Thank you for posting.  Our thoughts are with you.

I was close to my Dad as it sounds like you are.  He passed on St. Patrick's Day 1999 of a heart attack in the night.

I have no regrets as we too spoke on the phone frequently and rode until he couldn't any longer as well as hunted every year.  Those of us that are close to our parents are very fortunate and those of us who are not or for some reason are not talking with them currently should take notice and patch up what you can, you can never go back once they're gone.

My wife was sick with a really bad cold and the night before my Dad passed away he and my Mom drove 120 mile round trip to drop off some home made stew on our porch.  They didn't want to bother Cindy if she was sleeping or didn't want company so they called when they were a block away on the way home.  Go figure, just the way he was.  Fortunately I had bought him lunch the day before and we had sat and talked for an hour or so.

Only good thoughts. My prayers are with you and your Dad.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:25:36 AM by Rjob749 »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 10:31:09 AM »

Gettinold/mr_magoo,
Sorry to hear about both your Dad's I will keep you both in my prayers. Spend as much time as you can with them, and cherish each moment.

I went through a similar circumstance w/a sister (colon cancer) and was thankful for the time we had together during her illness. As we had gotten older we weren't as close as we had/should have been. With the remaining time we had after she found out about her illness we were able to restore our relationship and I'm really thankful of that.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:31:41 AM »

This is a tough post for me. I reconciled with my Dad last year after 8 years of not speaking. Now I wish I had those 8 years back. Enjoy what time you have left and if there's a silver lining, it's that in knowing the end is in sight, you can be sure not to leave anything unsaid. My heart goes out to you and your family.

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 01:08:54 PM »

I am sorry to hear about your father. My father passed away years ago and at the time we were not talking to each other. It made it very hard. Take the time and enjoy it. Yes it will be hard. I watched my Grand Father die of terminal cancer as a teen ager, but I charised the time I had with him before he passed. God Bless.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 01:32:11 PM »

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost mine, as well as a younger brother, last year and it's  never easy. Hopefully he will not be in any pain and can pass on in familiar surroundings. Our thoughts are with you in this time of pain.

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »

Dave,
It's tough to lose your Dad. I know, my Dad died in 1999 and I held his hand as he took his last breath. It was strange but wonderful at same time because at the very moment he passed, I felt the most at peace that I have ever felt before or since. Try to remember that life is a circle. Your Dad is at the point where he is completing his circle and dying is as much a part of life as being born. You are fortunate to have this time to spend with your Dad ... a stroke took my Dad and I never got to tell him goodbye.
It's gonna be tough, try to enjoy the time you have left.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »

Dave, my thoughts and prayers to your dad and your family. And Magoo, and all others who face similar circumstances.  Life is really kinda short, ain't it.
God bless,
Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 02:09:06 PM »

Gettinold,  Sorry to hear your Dad is ill.  Prayers out to you and your family at this time.  Just spend as much time as you can with him now and consider the fact that you will have this time a blessing.  I lost my Dad in 1977 as result of a car wreck.  Even though he lived for a few days before he passed and we all were there at the hospital until he died I never got the opportunity to speak with him and to say all the things that needed to be said.  I really wish I would have had the opportunity to do that.  I lost my Mom last year to Cancer.  I had a few months to visit with her before she passed and to say all the things that needed to be said to her and was so thankful to have that opportunity to do that with her since I had not been able to with my Dad.

Life is short and we never know how long we have.  Best to live each day like it may be the last.  I try to tell my wife and kids how I feel for them as often as I can just in case something were to happen because you never know when your time will be up.
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 20 queries.