Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2010 FLHXSE - Momentary electrical power losses  (Read 3287 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2010 FLHXSE - Momentary electrical power losses
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »

I find myself in a quandary now.  Hogtunes has certified my amp and wiring harness are fine.  But I would hate to reinstall the unit and the problem reappear. 

Actually.....  that's what I'd be interested in doing at this point.  Just to further isolate the cause.

If you reinstall and all stays fine you know it was something loose/dirty/whatever that got inadvertently corrected during other maintenance.  If you reinstall and problem comes back you know it's in the reinstalled parts.

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 11:35:46 AM »

The battery "shouldn't" be an issue, but anything is possible.  I live in Virginia and the battery is about 15 months old. 

YEP thats exactly what I thought!  I would have bet against the battery being bad and I turn wrench's for a living.  Thats why I wanted to swap batteries with my buddy so I could eliminate it as a possible cause. 
IMO I wouldnt feel all that bad about getting 15 months out of a motorcycle battery. 
Good Luck!

Ken1956

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum, Fullsac Stage 1, Klock Werks Windshield, Motorcycle Armor
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »

Actually.....  that's what I'd be interested in doing at this point.  Just to further isolate the cause.

If you reinstall and all stays fine you know it was something loose/dirty/whatever that got inadvertently corrected during other maintenance.  If you reinstall and problem comes back you know it's in the reinstalled parts.

Unless I find a few hours to reinstall, I may wait until winter to put the unit back in place.  I do most of my major work in the off-riding-season.

I'll report back if/when I put it back in.

Ken1956

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum, Fullsac Stage 1, Klock Werks Windshield, Motorcycle Armor
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »

FWIW, I spoke to the retailer that sold me the Hogtunes and installs these units.  They don't think the Hogtunes unit is at fault either.  Their best guess is a trouble code is being thrown everytime the power blips on and off.

They said have Harley check the code.  They're thinking it might be an ECM issue.  Otherwise, a fuse should have blown. 

But at this point, the trouble code may have been cleared by the number of ignition cycles I have had since.  (Or does that hold true on the newer models??)

We'll see... stay tuned.

Ken1956

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 07:52:23 AM »

FWIW, I spoke to the retailer that sold me the Hogtunes and installs these units.  They don't think the Hogtunes unit is at fault either.  Their best guess is a trouble code is being thrown everytime the power blips on and off.

They said have Harley check the code.  They're thinking it might be an ECM issue.  Otherwise, a fuse should have blown. 

But at this point, the trouble code may have been cleared by the number of ignition cycles I have had since.  (Or does that hold true on the newer models??)

We'll see... stay tuned.

Well, I know for sure it's not the Hogtunes unit. 

This past weekend, the power blipped twice on a long weekend trip.  Here were the characteristics:

First, the radio went blank.  This powered back up on it's own.  (like a PC reboot)

Then the entire bike's power blipped on and off.  The speedo's indicator made a sweeping move across the entire speed range and everything was back to "normal". 

Then a minute or two later, this entire sequence repeated itself.

I hope there was a code recorded so the Harley shop can pull something, to give a clue what's up with all this.

Anyone heard or seen this before?  I'll let you know if the shop finds anything.

Ken

Ken1956

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »

The shop found several codes.  Some not were not relevant.  None gave a clear indication on what has been going on.

Ground, connections and fuses checked.  On a side note, water collected in the turn signals (after long 2000 mile trip in alot of rain). 

It's back home now, so I'll have to see if the issue has been resolved.

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 08:18:59 AM »

Best of luck!

Ken1956

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »

Thanks man.  Hopefully this will clear it up.

Ken1956

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 06:21:33 AM »

So far so good.  I guess it might have been corrosion on the ground after all.

Keep you posted and thanks for all the help.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »

I would be concerned about a broken wire. But, that's really hard to trouble shoot.

I have had dealers run a diagnostic that not only ID'd a broken wire, but told the tech which wire was broken. Right at the connector, virtually impossible to see. Without the diagnostics, it would still be in the shop and that was years ago. If your current dealer isn't making you happy, hopefully there's another nearby. We have many dealers in the Denver metro area...it took me a while to find one I really liked.

Ken1956

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »

The dealership I'm working with now is doing a pretty good job.  But there is one further from home that I have had a good experience with too.  I'll have to see how it goes from here out.

Ken1956

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »

I have a followup.

I started experiencing the same electrical problems (ie. power blips, radio off/on, speedo sweep of the dial), that I experienced last year.  In addition, I started having a slow starter turn, at least on the first try.  I couldn't figure it out, so took it to the Harley shop. 

Initially, the problem did not show for the shop.  So I took it home and it was still doing the slow starter turn.  Back to the shop it went.

Now the shop thinks the entire problem was due to the battery bolts not tightened enough.  They told me Harley has increased the tightness to 60-90 inch pounds... more than you would expect.  (I was afraid to strip the battery threads frankly).

Anyway, the starter is back to normal.  I hope all is good now.  Hopefully this will help someone else.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 24 queries.