Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Cruise control inop  (Read 7999 times)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: Cruise control inop
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »

Deal  :2vrolijk_21:  That was our first time to Graceland and we enjoyed it a lot. There is quite a story around Elvis I wasn't aware of, and Beale Street is a have to destination for us again. Thanks for showing us around.  Lou and Terry
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:03:34 PM by grandpadoc »

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 06:35:06 PM »

My cc was acting up and not working a few months back.   I replaced the sworn on the bars and that didnt help. Then I unplugged one of the wires on the throttle cables and that fixed it.  Can't do that on TBW bikes now huh.  Maybe a sensor? :-\

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »

So the CC stopped working yesterday on the way to Cleveland to visit the R&R Hall of Fame.

DTC  P0577

Anyone know what the likely culprit could be?

This is a portion of the DTC P0577 description and diagnostic procedure from the 2010 HD Electrical Diagnostic Manual:

"DTC P0577 5.4
CRUISE CONTROL
The cruise control system in monitored and controlled through
the ECM. The set/coast and resume/accelerate switches are
inputs to the ECM. If the circuits between either one of the
switches and the ECM become shorted to voltage the ECM
will set DTC P0577 and disable the cruise control system."

HTH.

Carl

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »

This is a portion of the DTC P0577 description and diagnostic procedure from the 2010 HD Electrical Diagnostic Manual:

"DTC P0577 5.4
CRUISE CONTROL
The cruise control system in monitored and controlled through
the ECM. The set/coast and resume/accelerate switches are
inputs to the ECM. If the circuits between either one of the
switches and the ECM become shorted to voltage the ECM
will set DTC P0577 and disable the cruise control system."

HTH.

Carl

Thanks Carl.  :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 05:39:52 AM »

My cc was acting up and not working a few months back.   I replaced the sworn on the bars and that didnt help. Then I unplugged one of the wires on the throttle cables and that fixed it.  Can't do that on TBW bikes now huh.  Maybe a sensor? :-\

What wire did you unplugged, and did you let it unplugged or did you plug it back again?
What is the use of this wire?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »

What wire did you unplugged, and did you let it unplugged or did you plug it back again?
What is the use of this wire?

The old style cruise control (prior to the electronic throttle control introduced in 2008) had a roll-off switch incorporated into the throttle cable.  I assume that is the wire that he disconnected.  And this is a safety feature that shuts down the cruise control when you roll the throttle back toward idle; it's one of several ways to turn off the cruise (brake switches, roll off switch, main cruise switch on the dash). 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 09:59:13 AM »

Thank you Jerry! Is it the wire plugged on the cable on the frame in front on the tank? Because I also have problem with my CC the light signal turns orange but I can't activate it. Do you know if the system to control the switch (turn on the main contact while maintaining the switch then the small light signal turns green) works with the 3 positions, I mean increase speed/decrease speed and activate? ( I hope my question is understandable!) Because this system turns the light on green when I push the switch on left or right but not when I push in the central position.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »

Thank you Jerry! Is it the wire plugged on the cable on the frame in front on the tank? Because I also have problem with my CC the light signal turns orange but I can't activate it. Do you know if the system to control the switch (turn on the main contact while maintaining the switch then the small light signal turns green) works with the 3 positions, I mean increase speed/decrease speed and activate? ( I hope my question is understandable!) Because this system turns the light on green when I push the switch on left or right but not when I push in the central position.

Yes, the electrical connection to the idle cable is on the right side of the frame just below the front of the fuel tank.  If you look at the two throttle cables, you will notice a large plastic boot (cover) on one of the cables.  Slide that boot forward and you will expose the electrical connection, which is two spade connectors.

Disconnecting the roll off switch to verify it is the problem is OK, but I wouldn't recommend leaving it that way instead of fixing the real problem.  And often the problem is nothing more than improperly adjusted cables.

As for the handlebar switch, pushing straight in won't activate the system.  Push the switch to the right to set the cruise at your current speed.  If you touch the brakes or roll off the throttle, the cruise will disengage but it remembers your speed at the time.  If you push the switch to the left (resume/accel)and release it, the cruise will go back to your previous speed setting.  If you push it to the left and hold it, it will accelerate until you release the switch to set a new speed.  If you push the switch to the right and hold it, the bike will decelerate until you release it and will set that as the new speed.

Hope that made sense.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »

Thank you Jerry, you really are the wikipedia man of the Harley Davidson! Thank you to share your knowledge with me! :biggthumpup:

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »

I had cc probs and it turned out to be the rear brake stop switch. was an easy fix :bananarock:

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »

Made it home OK - 725 miles from Cleveland with no cruise.  I know it is not a necessity - well not until you have had one, then it is.  :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 10:31:06 PM »

Made it home OK - 725 miles from Cleveland with no cruise.  I know it is not a necessity - well not until you have had one, then it is.  :2vrolijk_21:
I totally agree.  I really miss not having cruise on my softtail.....never would have thought much about it but I got spoiled with the SEEG's cruise.  Let us know what it turns out to be, Jerry.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »

I totally agree.  I really miss not having cruise on my softtail.....never would have thought much about it but I got spoiled with the SEEG's cruise.  Let us know what it turns out to be, Jerry.  spyder
Will do.  Got an appointment for next Monday, June 20th.

IBA member # 45520

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »

Ok so let us know what was the problem when you get the bike back.  ;)

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »

Well, wouldn't you know it.  I took it in Monday and just for chits on the way to the shop I checked the CC and lo and behold it worked!  They did disassemble and check the wiring, etc, on the right handgrip side but found nothing.  So they cleared the code, road tested and could not duplicate.  Everything worked fine.  

Service mgr is ordering a new CC switch just in case so I bet I'll be back to have that replaced before long.  I hate intermittent electrical problems.

IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.