Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Screaming Eagle Pro Twin Cam 103 Heads  (Read 17424 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Screaming Eagle Pro Twin Cam 103 Heads
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »

I would not guarentee there would be no interference. Piston to valve, and spring pack clearances all need to be checked.
I would expect that grind to move the power up slightly on top and take a hit in the torque from off idle to 2,500rpm if nothing else changed.

RoadKing04

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »

The mechanic also said we could change the pistons from what i have inside now which are 10.1 comp ross pistons to getting matching screaming eagle that go with those heads which he said will make it run even better.

When i am riding with my club like yesterday she performs great but its when after riding hard and you come to a traffic light or any delay of idling more then 5 minutes when she starts to get hot and the rpm's begin to flutter alittle bit and i am just wondering with these changes will all of that stop?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »

Any modification that will alter the airflow will require the bike to be retuned. If that is done properly and the mechanical compression is not too high it will not be cool in traffic on the hot days but it will not require stopping to cool it off.

RoadKing04

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »

The specs of these heads show a compression of 10.5.1.Can these heads be reworked to handle 11.1 compression using a s/s 640 cam and what  is your opinion of that versus how it is now?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »

Advertised compression is just that, a big YMMV applies
Even at that compression in a 117" the 640 will be a little soft off idle to about 2,700. That said even if the springs are fixed and it will not coil bind and all the clearances are checked those heads are done with any appreciable gain in flow at about .530 lift IME until they are ported. I will post a flow chart if you want.

So gains from higher lift even when all the rest of the parts will go there will be minimal and as the duration climbs your low end torque will diminish without the expected kick on top. Same holds true for the S&S 625

The TW54 will be right at home if you are sticking to your original statement wanting low to mid range..

Check your compression you may be surprised at what you actually get.
report that and then a plan is easier to plot, assuming the bottom  end are not going to change.

RoadKing04

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »

The TW54 will be right at home if you are sticking to your original statement wanting low to mid range..

Can you tell what u mean by this in how my 54's can be right at home.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:55:27 PM by RoadKing04 »

dsmbagger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »

Mark, did you change back to stock heads? Last you posted, they were Hemi-heads screaming eagles with custom dome pistons?

RoadKing04

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

That was before i realized from my mechanic that the heads were never touched. The hemi is just part of the porting design they do to the heads but this was only realized later by my mechanic who put the bike back together that the heads were never in fact touched which he had nothing to do with.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:56:49 PM by RoadKing04 »

RoadKing04

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 05:38:29 PM »

Let me ask u guys this question.I was looking at another 117 axtel kit build[gmr] and the specs and what noticed about this build was the heads by R/R which showed 2.0/1.625,10.5.1 comp,55mmTB,TM662-2cam this makes 135HP/134TRQ.

My 117 build has stock heads 2.080/1.625,10.7.1 comp,52mm s/s TB,54cams,this makes 120HP/127TRQ.

In comparing the 2 builds are their any small changes i can make to get my numbers close?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »

1.Change cams
2.Properly measure all components and set the compression to an accurate value verified by fluid measurements and actual deck height
2.Port your heads
3.Get a larger throttle body
4.Get a good tune, assuming you have a very good pipe

Here are numbers for referance only of untouched 103+ heads VS Street Ported, same stock size valves
Only tested to .600 the ported heads are still climbing strong at .650 but as you can see not hurt at low lift

RoadKing04

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »

1.Change cams
2.Properly measure all components and set the compression to an accurate value verified by fluid measurements and actual deck height
2.Port your heads
3.Get a larger throttle body
4.Get a good tune, assuming you have a very good pipe

Here are numbers for referance only of untouched 103+ heads VS Street Ported, same stock size valves
Only tested to .600 the ported heads are still climbing strong at .650 but as you can see not hurt at low lift

1.If the stock 103+ heads i have are of the measure of the R/R heads why do i still need to get them ported? I am not trying to not take your advice i am just wondering from an expense should i have to take them to be ported if they are same.

2. what size TB i have the s/s 52mm an make?

3. should i go with the 662-2 or raise the comp to 10.8 - 11.1 and cam TM590 or TM625?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:57:42 AM by RoadKing04 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »

1.If the stock 103+ heads i have are of the measure of the R/R heads why do i still need to get the ported? I am not trying to not take your advice i am just wondering from an expense side that should i have to take in getting ported if they are same.

2. what size TB i have the s/s 52mm an make?

3. should i go with the 662-2 or raise the comp to 10.8 - 11.1 and cam TM590 or TM625?

Why not just call the man and sort it all in one quick phone call?  He's got a shop and, therefore, a shop phone. 

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 07:04:47 AM »

I had a good talk with my mechanic and he told me that if it was him he change the pistons from ross to the screaming eagle pistons adding 20* done by axtel to match those heads and put my s/s 640 cams back in the motor,he would then bump the compression up to 11.0.
Now she rides nice,pulls great with the 54's at 10.7.1 comp but he feels the 640's would rock if we did 11.0 comp and did SE Pistons with a 20* added.

Your mechainc is soaking wet on the compression needs of that .640 S&S cam.
11.5 is your target, with that cam, and it'll take more, and still be pump-gas friendly, but will not have the "hit" off the bottom, like a Wood 9B, or 9F.
The 20* dome is not some magical/mystical game changer at all, just another way to up the squeeze.
Been there, done that, here, many times even back in the Evo days, as we have had fixturing for that, for well over 15 years.
Forum member dsmbagger's 117"er, pushed out just about 138 hp/140 ft/lbs, SAE. Wood 9F equipped.
Scott

RoadKing04

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 09:44:58 AM »

Hillside thanks for your help in this i appreciate it.To be fair iwth my mechanic he did mention those numbers friday as you did but i asked him about the heat issue in going that high and he said "the higher you go the more it will generate"so i kind of erased that idea because as being one of my top choices to do.

Now again to be fair to him he did mention earlier in the week about the woods stuff it was either 9B or something but i thought reading from the forum that they were too noisy so i told him i wasn't interested in them but maybe its time to reconsider.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 02:02:48 PM »

Google James Watt and see the relationship between heat and HP
We have only so much octane and getting worse all the time! If you choose a cam that will work well when the overlap just starts to function and not cause reversion at low speeds (in the case of the 640 starts to work well about 3,200rpm) cylinder pressure increases and this is how the HP is made and that is in the form of heat energy. Truth be told most don't ride where a cam like this real happy. In a mid compression 124"+ the cam is fine however.
The S&S 124 comes stock with that cam and works well at the stock 10.5:1 compression. It is safe there and does not run hot but it is a purposely built motor with added cooling not just an overbored and stroked stock 88/96.
Yep I helped a guy go 150/150 with an S&S 124 with a 640 and that was a carbureted EVO. That sat at 11.2/1 IIRC. It was an FXR however and only used for shorter trips and street racing.
It is easy to get caught up in the HP challenge but with a big motor consider adding some octane sanity and cut the HP goal a little. The ride will be a lot less expensive and enjoyable.
What would that look like?
Well you said quiet is what you want. S&S cams have what I have heard refereed to as "marine or industrial engine" lobe lift rates, so they run quiet
That 117 with a 625 S&S cam and 10.5/1 compression and some only mild head work is very sensible and practical and will not break the bank or help subsidize the towing industry. Think it over before building for the big numbers
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.