Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Excessive Valve/Lifter Noise  (Read 29666 times)

Beavskis

Excessive Valve/Lifter Noise
« on: June 19, 2011, 08:10:58 AM »

I am getting a really loud rattle/knocking noise from the top end of the engine between 2400-2800 rpms. The hotter the engine, the louder it is. I have taken it back to the dealer twice now and they are telling me there is nothing they can do about it, as they cant seem to find anything wrong, yet they acknowledge there is a noise. I think they do not know why its doing it and do not want to tear into the motor to try and figure it out. I am going to take it to another dealer, but would like to ask if anyone out there has had this experience. I also rode another Street Glide with the 110 and it does not do this. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

pweber6

Re: Excessive Valve/Lifter Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »

Well for what is worth, mine does the exact same thing at the same RPM.   My dealer joking told me to turn up the stereo or get loader pipes...ha.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »

Mine is doing the same thing?????   Dealer said not to worry????Think  will buy the exteneded warrenty

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »

Sounds like all you guys need to find better dealerships, or perhaps you really don't have a problem.  Very hard to tell since we can't actually hear what you are complaining about, and some amount of mechanical noise is in fact normal.  Why not ask those smart azzes with the quick answers at your dealerships to prove your bike is representative of all the others by letting you ride a few randomly chosen similar bikes.  If they don't make the same noise, then obviously yours isn't "normal" and they need to talk to H-D and do some real diagnostic work.

As for buying the ESP, that is a personal choice of course but it's pretty sad IMHO that customers feel they have to hand the dealers and H-D fat extra profits to make up for lousy quality and lousy service on a $30k plus motorcycle.  I'd be more inclined to get all such problems fully documented early and often before the warranty expires, and then if it fails let my attorney handle it.  Problems reported to and ignored by the company during the warranty aren't just something they can legally blow off because the two year warranty period finally expires.  The key is getting everything fully documented, and that doesn't include BS verbal statements by some lazy clown in a dealership.  Get it all in writing, and contact H-D directly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »

Mine is fairly noisey between those RPM's as well.......documented by the dealer as "normal" so when it blows up my butt is covered....and I have the extended warranty anyway.....

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »

Try Changing to Amsoil 20/50 in the motor and Primary and Amsoil 75/140 Severe gear oil in the tranny.  I just did my 1000 mile service (myself) as I have done on all my bikes and all my buddies bikes, and it quiets it down significantly.  BUT, in really hot weather, on a 110, you will get that top end tapping, no matter what you use.  Nothing you can do about it.  This is an inherent genetic noise that comes with the 110 motor.  Everyone I know with a CVO has it.....I do too!

Glenn

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »

Just a FYI

2011 SESG
Installed a TTS Mastertune, Jackpot header, Fulsac 2.25 baffles, K&N air filter and had dyno tuned at Docs Performance in FL, (what a great guy to work with, really knows his sh!t).
I did have the Night Rider Xi-eds (resisters in O2 sensor harness to fool ECM into making AFR richer)  installed from the time the bike was new, the plugs were a nice light caramel color so they did work good to richen it up but after riding with the new header they did nothing to reduce the heat. I also went to Redline 20-60 engine oil, it didnt do anything for the noise but did increase the hot idle oil pressure.
 I have about 500 miles on the bike since tune and have a noticeable reduction in engine noise, that annoying rattle/ticking at approx 2100-2600rpm. I am very pleased about that, not to mention the reduction of right side heat and how great the bike runs/idles.  The handle bar/mirror shake has all but dissapeared.  As a career mechanic I cant explain this reduction of noise and can only conclude it is a result of the TTS and good tune balancing the cylinders (it is definitely almost gone). I will say the bike runs so much better and is a total joy to ride.  I don't want to get you guys started but it should come out of the box like this!
 I also wasn't happy with the sound of the baffles with the stock cat pipe, Steve at Fulsac did say wait till you change the header before you make any changes, he was correct the sound is just a notch louder and richer, when you twist it up it is pretty loud without being annoying.
I was very hesitant to do the tuner and header because of the warranty concerns but now I don't care because of how much better the bike runs!
Oh and I think the gas mileage is better but I have a hard time staying out of the throttle!!!  I will explore the mileage issue on my trip to Sturgis.

Just my 2 cents
Wayne

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 10:34:53 AM »

Try Changing to Amsoil 20/50 in the motor and Primary and Amsoil 75/140 Severe gear oil in the tranny.  I just did my 1000 mile service (myself) as I have done on all my bikes and all my buddies bikes, and it quiets it down significantly.  BUT, in really hot weather, on a 110, you will get that top end tapping, no matter what you use.  Nothing you can do about it.  This is an inherent genetic noise that comes with the 110 motor.  Everyone I know with a CVO has it.....I do too!

Glenn

Slotbike

Good looking bike there!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »

Welcome to the Twin Cam HD world. Some are worse than others,

General
My personal theory is lifter to bore clearance is one possibility and a loose allowable tolerance. The 110 additional noise(s) can usually be attrbuted to the short narrow skirt forged pistons and clearance there (factory tolerance or distortion after the motor is cycled??) and or lifter bleed. Don't forget these motors have big valves (heavy) and 175# valve springs to control those. Not there or needed with the stock 96", another factor. Also compression is very high with these motors. They have a tendancy to ping or the Delphi pulls a lot of timing and prevents that. Both build heat, big time. Heat is the enemy and everything done to eliminate that helps motor life and reduces noise, explained below

Oil
More heat = more viscosity loss = lifter bleed = valvetrain clearance = noise
The better of the oils have a higher VI and hold their viscosity better at higher temps. This is not a Syn VS Dino oil phenomonom it is simply which oil has a more stable base oil and better additive package. It can be syn or dino.
Aerated oil, another issue, the hotter the oil the more potential to entrain air. Further issues with valvetrain clearance. Read the product data sheets and compare that way. Oh BTW HD does not publish their oil data sheets.

Tune
A proper tune lowers heat and thus less potential lifter bleed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:26:15 PM by Deweysheads »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 06:54:56 AM »

I am getting a really loud rattle/knocking noise from the top end of the engine between 2400-2800 rpms. The hotter the engine, the louder it is. I have taken it back to the dealer twice now and they are telling me there is nothing they can do about it, as they cant seem to find anything wrong, yet they acknowledge there is a noise. I think they do not know why its doing it and do not want to tear into the motor to try and figure it out. I am going to take it to another dealer, but would like to ask if anyone out there has had this experience. I also rode another Street Glide with the 110 and it does not do this. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

We hear the same complaint here too.
Probably lifter bleed at temp.
With a fixed pushrod, no way to load the lifter more.
Just for the hell of it, try some Torco 50W next oil change. :)
Scott

Jim Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:21:44 AM »

Ask Dealer to do a "leak-down" test.

Appears they all make noise somewhere between 2,500-3,100 rpm - however when my CVO [2008] got real hot in stop and go traffic it would make so much noise that folks walking down the sidewalk would glance over at me 2 lanes of traffic away.

Leak-down test on my bike revealed 28% leakdown front cylinder [piston in middle position] and 35% leak-down rear cylinder [piston also dead center].

Warranty came good for new pistons, rings, cylinders and labour.

FLHTCUSE3 Erling

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Wife
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »

I got the same after approx 8.000 miles on my 2009 FLHTCUSE4. At 10.000 they ended up changing the pistons and cylinders since they found scratches in them. MoCo even considered changing the entire engine, so my advise is to take this seriously and put pressure on your dealer and request they open up and check. I will colkect the bike when I am back home in two weeks and hope everything is ok.
Ride safe!

2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey Fade (Sold May 2021)
2017 FLHTKSE (Sold Apr 2021)
2014 FLSTNSE (Sold Sep 2018)
2014 FLHTKSE (Sold Apr 2018)
2012 FLHTCUSE7 (Sold Jul 2014)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 (Sold Mar 2020)
2008 FLHTCUSE3 (Sold Jul 2011)
2003 FLHTCUI (Sold Apr 2008)
2003 FLHRCI (Sold Feb 2007)
1998 FLSTS (Sold Sep 2005)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »

Thanks

My dealer had similar comments, now the jugs and pistons are being replaced due to piston slap and warped jugs

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

fatboi1959

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all good!
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »

Just for the hell of it, try some Torco 50W next oil change.
Scott
Scott just to be clear your talking straight 50 wt correct?
2007 FLHTCUSE2
I'm spending my retirement one mod at a time

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.