Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problem with windshield screw?  (Read 1223 times)

Jstcruzn

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide
problem with windshield screw?
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:09:19 AM »

2011 fhlxse2 Installed new freedom shield works great but the middle screw just does not want to line up straight - sort of angled downward -any suggestions?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: problem with windshield screw?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »

2011 fhlxse2 Installed new freedom shield works great but the middle screw just does not want to line up straight - sort of angled downward -any suggestions?

Yes, I have a suggestion for what I "think" you say your problem is.

When the rubber blind nuts are tightened down they sometimes tend to go off center behind the fairing.  When the screw is released from the rubber blind nut, the rubber memory will cause the nut to be angled relative to the screw you're trying to thread in and it won't start.

What a lot of guys here are complaining about is losing the blind nuts inside their fairings.  I think part of this is because of your alignment issue and they just push harder to get the screw started in the blind nut.

What I've done and some others here agree, take out all the blind nuts from the fairing and PRE start them on the screws through the windshield.  This allows you to hold the nut end of the rubber blind nut and align it with the screw.  Once the screws are all threaded in a couple turns, just start in the center hole and push in the first blind nut.  Thighten is a little, but not all the way.  Now start to each side and push in the next outwar blind nut into the hole.  Slightly tighten each as you go.  You will probably have to angle the last outward blind nuts just a bit to "push" them in to the holes, but they do go in quite easily.

Now go back and while holding in on the windshield, snug up each one starting from the center outward on each side.

This will take care of your screw not starting into the blind nuts and you'll NEVER lose one inside the fairing.

Good luck with your new windshield.

Have a very happy and safe 4th of July...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 20 queries.