Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Whats the best way to fix this?  (Read 2240 times)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Whats the best way to fix this?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »

I think i remember reading a thread somewhere stating that Harley has a repair kit to fix exactly this problem. I might be wrong so don't take my word on it, but might be worth checking your HD parts center

I went out and did a search and found the HD repair kir part number 16585-96
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:59:01 PM by cvobiker »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 04:26:23 PM »

I think i remember reading a thread somewhere stating that Harley has a repair kit to fix exactly this problem. I might be wrong so don't take my word on it, but might be worth checking your HD parts center

I went out and did a search and found the HD repair kir part number 16585-96

That's the replacement insert that screws into the fairing mount. In this instance the whole fairing mount broke off the fairing.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »

That's very encouraging to hear. Now I hope I can use it according to instructions.

...no brainer, equal parts, mix well. I do it on a paper plate with a plastic knife and throw it away when I'm done (not the fairing).  Doc

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »

any good ABS plastic glue will work. loctite brand is good
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »

Well the JB Weld seems to be working.

I say seems because I feel just like I did after shoulder surgery. I know it will never be the same again, so I baby it and worry. It must be the HD ABS material because my old '01 with fiberglass parts never had these problems.

So I super glued the mount back onto the fairing to hold it in place. Then I bought a stick of the JB Weld putty and worked a small piece of it around the base. I let it harden for two hours and trimmed off the excess with a razor blade. Everything lined up and I just reinstalled the fairing. I didn't tighten down the screws as much as I would like to have because I didn't want it to break off again. I'll let it harden a couple more hours and take it for a spin to see if vibration and wind against the windshield will crack it off again.

I wonder if a smaller and lower windshield will reduce the amount of force on the bolts thus alleviating pressure on the mount.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 08:39:04 PM »

JB Weld Putty, now that's a new item for me to try. I've used SuperGlue PlasticFusion on my boat like that before and it worked well. Its amazing what the polymer wizards come up with these days. Good luck with your fix.  Doc
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:40:47 PM by grandpadoc »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 24 queries.