Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Paint flaw on 2009 CVO Fat Bob bought new in Nov. 2010  (Read 4081 times)

2 Dogs

Re: Paint flaw on 2009 CVO Fat Bob bought new in Nov. 2010
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:46 PM »

Thought I'd give a little more info because a few members have asked...

The issue isn't resolved yet. It's complicated. I was hit by a car on my other bike, a 2010 Fat Boy Lo, 2 months ago. $6,000 physical damage before we even get to the part where they check out the engine/mechanicals. The same dealer is repairing my Fat Boy Lo, so I don't want to ruffle their feathers too much until that bike is fixed, I have it back, and there aren't any issues with it.

I wasn't seriously injured in the accident, just bruised, banged up, and swollen. The car owner's insurance is paying to fix my Fat Boy Lo.  

In the meantime, still nothing from the dealer on replacing the obviously flawed CVO Fat Bob fender. I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place, here.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:13:04 AM by 2 Dogs »

Invisible68

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 12:56:07 AM »

Thought I'd give a little more info because a few members have asked...

The issue isn't resolved yet. It's complicated. I was hit by a car on my other bike, a 2010 Fat Boy Lo, 2 months ago. $6,000 physical damage before we even get to the part where they check out the engine/mechanicals. The same dealer is repairing my Fat Boy Lo, so I don't want to ruffle their feathers too much until that bike is fixed, I have it back, and there aren't any issues with it.

I wasn't seriously injured in the accident, just bruised, banged up, and swollen. The car owner's insurance is paying to fix my Fat Boy Lo.  

In the meantime, still nothing from the dealer on replacing the obviously flawed CVO Fat Bob fender. I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place, here.

Just tell the insurance guy you were caring the other fender on your bike to take to the dealer and let the insurance cover the cost of the fender...

2 Dogs

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:23 AM »

Just tell the insurance guy you were caring the other fender on your bike to take to the dealer and let the insurance cover the cost of the fender...
Yeah right... when the car hit me, the accident caused the paint flaws in the other bike's fender.  ::)
Don't think the insurance adjustor will buy that.

If that was a joke, I really don't find the humor in making fun of an accident that caused extensive damage to my other bike. It was extraordinarily lucky that I wasn't severely injured. Even the cops that responded were amazed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:30:27 AM by 2 Dogs »

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »

Your only "stuck" if you don't go to the dealer and raise a little hell.  Damn, they are not your family are they?  Would it matter?  Get off your butt and demand it be fixed.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

2 Dogs

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »

Your only "stuck" if you don't go to the dealer and raise a little hell.  Damn, they are not your family are they?  Would it matter?  Get off your butt and demand it be fixed.
I'll put more pressure on 'em after I get my other bike back in safely full-functioning condition. I don't want them to f*ck it up since I'll actually be riding it and all.

Sucks that you have to tip toe around the service dept's attitude, but this dealer is the least worst at that around here.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »

Tip toe, my ass.  Bullsh*t.  It was your money for your Harley.  Put your tiptoes up their A$$!!!!!  They depend on buyers like you for business.  They are a business, not your friends.  Damn, quit stalling and demand your rights.  Or keep wasting your time posting about your mean dealer.  I am not even drinking yet, that's why I am being so polite.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

2 Dogs

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »

Tip toe, my ass.  Bullsh*t.  It was your money for your Harley.  Put your tiptoes up their A$$!!!!!  They depend on buyers like you for business.  They are a business, not your friends.  Damn, quit stalling and demand your rights.  Or keep wasting your time posting about your mean dealer.  I am not even drinking yet, that's why I am being so polite.
Let's say I do that. Will you accept liability if they get angry and f*ck up and I'm injured on my not fixed quite right Fat Boy Lo?

mark

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 06:36:51 PM »

Buddy bought two-tone root beer Street Glide.  After several months he noticed on his tank small white "bubbles" showing up under the clear coat.  Brought it to dealer's attention and they ordered a new tank under warranty.  It was almost like air bubbles were trapped under the clear coat and as the paint aged, the bubbles turned white.  His bubbles were not as noticeable as yours. 

2Dog...my buddy that I referenced above is now a member of this site...he is Rock N Roll.  Why don't you send him a PM to find out how he handled getting a new tank.  

Invisible68

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 11:59:15 PM »

Think of it this way.... if you let them walk all over you with the fender issue.... think of how they will short change you on the repair of your other bike.... stand up and let them know you will not accept subpare work.... unless of course you like whining about it....

2 Dogs

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »

Update:

Picked up my Fat Boy Lo. Still some minor issues... front brake cylinder leaks and there may be some minor paint damage from that, and there's no trim ring on the replaced air cleaner cover like there's supposed to be.

Asked again about the CVO fender, and was told that the regional H-D rep said no - it wouldn't be replaced under warranty because according to H-D white paint bubbles in the paint aren't a flaw. I brought the photo I posted in this thread, showed the service manager how blatantly obvious the white bubbles were in the paint, told him I get asked about them all the time, and told him I've had to tell everyone that they refuse to fix it even though the bike's still under warranty. He knows there's a problem but claims his hands are tied by the H-D rep's decision. He's had similar problems with H-D on other CVOs, mostly with respect to the white hazy looking paint jobs. The dealer hates this because it obviously strains the relationship with the customers (and their buddies in their riding groups, etc.).

The service manager agreed to go ahead and order the replacement fender, but said he's going to have to eat the cost to replace it. H-D won't warranty it. The manager's not happy, and I'm not happy having to scorch what should be a good working relationship with the only halfway decent service dept. around here.

WTF is with H-D shipping crappy product, and then forcing either the buyer or the dealer to eat the cost to make it right? Is that how they make their profits, or what?

By the way, the H-D rep who said no to replacing the fender under warranty is no longer in the Chicago area and is now in the Kansas City area. Watch out for that a**hole.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »

Haven't read back over every post in this thread but if you haven't already give H-D Customer Service a call at 414-343-4056. Explain everything to them and how you are not satisfied w/the factory reps response(s). Remember "sugar gets more then salt" (at least start off that way ;)) and even if they (H-D) will not replace it they may authorize the dealership to use some of their "Goodwill" money to replace it. Good luck.

Oh, and don't worry about pissing somebody off at the dealership by calling customer service it could end up helping them since in your last post it sounds like they are going to replace it... if CS agrees to replace it or allow the dealership to use the "Goodwill" money the dealership will be happy.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 12:14:52 PM »

I would do as Fired00d mentioned and go ahead and call the HD customer service number.  It can't possibly do any harm at this point, and may actually help both you and the dealer in the long run.  If you will do some research here on the site about the paint problems back in '06 on the SEUC, you will discover that it took some time to get parts replaced.  Many of the regional reps denied replacement of painted parts on those bikes (there were a LOT of them) until the issue was escalated by forum members to the highest level possible with the MOCO.  The issue with the paint (on two different color schemes) was cloudy/milky clear coat...that may be what your dealer was referring to when he mentioned he'd "had problems before".  I think everyone here on the forum got their painted parts replaced with factory new eventually.  The sad thing is that there are probably hundreds of bikes from that year out there that either the owner didn't realize they had bad paint jobs, or got refused by the dealer/regional rep and simply gave up fighting.

Bubbles in paint is clearly unacceptable in this case.  Call the MOCO.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
  • Ride Hard Or Stay Home!
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTS
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »

I had air bubbles under the clear coat on the gas tank of my 2007 FLHX.  Certainly not as visible as yours.  Brought it back to H-D Baton Rouge.  They took a couple of photos of the milkly white spots and forwarded them to the MoCo.  HDBR called me about a week later to say the MoCo was sending a new tank to replace mine.  All was done within just a few weeks.  H-D paid for everything including the labor to exchange the tank at the dealer.  I just recently bought my fourth bike from them and will continue to buy at HDBR because of their service.  I think you need to contact the MoCo directly if you can't get your dealer to follow through.  Have photos available that you can forward to Customer Service when you call.  Good Luck!   
Remember, you have to care where you are to be lost.  Enjoy the ride!

2 Dogs

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 02:45:15 AM »

Update:
Had someone from H-D come through for me and authorize a replacement!   :bananarock:

The fender has been replaced under warranty, and the new one looks great!

Happy ending, here!

Can hardly wait for next Spring!   ;D

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 03:17:54 AM »

Great that it worked out for you!   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.