Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Something went terribly wrong after 30T install  (Read 15556 times)

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Something went terribly wrong after 30T install
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »

I  hate it for ya. Everyone one makes mistakes. Only difference is some of us admit them, some don't. Good luck. If it is any constellation, you will love the sprocket once you get the bike fixed.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »

Can someone with a service manual confirm that the sprocket nut is a LH thread ? The mechanic called me and provided these images from his manual which clearly says it's a RH thread.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »

Sprocket nut is a right hand thread for 2010. as per the service manual.
Sometimes there are on VERY tight, but, I use an impact tool and locking device, and they WILL come off.
JMHO
 8)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:44:46 AM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »

The older bikes, including my 2005, have a left hand thread on the sprocket nut.  When Harley changed to the Cruise Drive trans on the '06 Dyna, the nut and shaft were changed to a right hand thread.  If someone who last worked on a five speed were to assume the nut was still a left hand thread, I could see how they might beat the snot out of the trans trying to further tighten the nut before they finally figured out they were going the wrong way. 

The bike was running fine with no trans issues before the guy worked on it.  He admitted there was something wrong after his work when he called you before you picked it up.  I don't see where there is any question as to who has liability here. 

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »

The older bikes, including my 2005, have a left hand thread on the sprocket nut.  When Harley changed to the Cruise Drive trans on the '06 Dyna, the nut and shaft were changed to a right hand thread.  If someone who last worked on a five speed were to assume the nut was still a left hand thread, I could see how they might beat the snot out of the trans trying to further tighten the nut before they finally figured out they were going the wrong way. 

The bike was running fine with no trans issues before the guy worked on it.  He admitted there was something wrong after his work when he called you before you picked it up.  I don't see where there is any question as to who has liability here. 

Good luck.

Jerry

Jerry's statement is the bottom line, regardless of right hand vs. left hand thread.   :nixweiss:

(Your's is right hand, as Jerry has pointed out).
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »

The mechanic called me back this morning and assured me that he would accept all of the responsibility and will take care of all of the financial obligations that may arise. He continues to apologize and asked if he could come an take a look at the damage after the trans is torn apart so he can try to understand what he did wrong. He even offered to pay for a rental bike but I declined.

The bike was picked up this morning (see pic) and I'm hoping they can take a look at it sometime tomorrow or Monday.

Just out of pure curiosity, how much could this ultimately cost ? I cannot find the prices for newer transmissions or gearsets in my parts catalog.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »

Try this web site to check parts prices:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/hdm_oem/hdmc.asp

Complete Trans is roughly $1400, the case alone is approximately $400, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 03:50:31 PM »

Good news that the mechanic is stepping up to the plate, less of a heart ache for you. We all make mistakes and it sounds like he wants to learn from his.   :2vrolijk_21:  MAT

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »

Update:

The mechanic I took my bike to was referred to me by 7 other friends who have used him for everything from basic exhaust / tune / and high flow filter installs to engine rebuilds. I thought he would be more than qualified to work on my machine and he never led me to believe he did not have the expertise to perform the work requested. I am very mechanically inclined but decided to use a qualified mechanic (at least I thought he was qualified) rather than tackle the job myself since he quoted me 4 hrs @ 42.00 per hour (even though he charged me for 5 hours since he was probably trying to get the sprocket nut off the wrong way  :o ) and I would have paid more than that for a service manual and the tools. I should have just done it myself, I am seriously kicking myself now  >:(

The bike is being picked up tomorrow by a local dealer and they will tear it apart on Sunday or Monday to inspect what happened. Every tech I spoke with today (including Steve from Fullsac) verified that the mechanic is absolutely responsible for what occurred and should step up to the plate like a reputable businessman. I already tried to call him today without a return call and will give it one more attempt after the bike is torn apart and the damage can be photographed (for legal reasons) and the estimate can be put together. My dealer cannot submit this for warranty since the damage is most likely not a common failure of the components. They did assure me that they would attempt to work the warranty issue if it looked as though the damage was NOT caused by the sprocket install but they are 99% sure it was due to negligence and/or lack of knowledge.

If he chooses not to step up like he should, might find a good attorney to send him a nice letter to help him with his amnesia.
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 05:37:22 PM »

Just a note.  As an aircraft maintenance technician, if I screw it up, I pay to have it repaired.  Otherwise, I would never have repeat customers.  We can all make mistakes, its how we respond to those mistakes that separates the professionals from the amateurs.
Jesus is Lord

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »

Just a note.  As an aircraft maintenance technician, if I screw it up, I pay to have it repaired.  Otherwise, I would never have repeat customers.  We can all make mistakes, its how we respond to those mistakes that separates the professionals from the amateurs.
:2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »

Ok, dealer called and said that all or part of the trans cap dipstick came loose and fell into the trans. They said it would be covered under warranty with a $50.00 deductible. Is this something that others have had happen ? It seems awful coincidental that this happened at the same time I had the sprocket changed. As for the exact parts being replaced, I should know that tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 09:04:05 PM »

Wow, good news for the Mechanic!! Hope they just put a new tranny in and call it a wash.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 10:09:19 PM »

Wow, good news for the Mechanic!! Hope they just put a new tranny in and call it a wash.

All they said was I needed $800.00 worth of parts and that the extended warranty was going to cover it. I judt hope that it's all done before the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 10:55:53 PM »

I'm sure it will be fine, but a brand new bike deserves a brand new tranny- call it a piece of mind for the Owner. I hope all goes well.  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.