Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Bike is here!! YEEEEhAAAAA! Thanks to all for the help.  (Read 7083 times)

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
Bike is here!! YEEEEhAAAAA! Thanks to all for the help.
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:51:27 PM »

After many days/nights of searching I found my CVO in Kenosha Wisconsin!  2011 SEUC blk ember/rio red.  660 miles.  Bub7 TDX, PC-V, Autotuner, extended warranty, 2k worth of other stuff.  Way less than retail.  Woohoo!

Need someone to be my eyes for an inspection and assist me with watching the packup by the shipper.  I have zero experience with long distance buying so any help and advice regarding who to use for shipping, best way to get it done, advice on how much it will cost, etc. is really appreciated.  I am a real newbie at sight unseen purchasing so I'm really nervous and somewhat worried about it, but with help from you guys I'm sure everything will work out fine.  

You guys in this forum have been a priceless asset and I intend to return the favor many times over.

Can't wait to post the pics when I get the bike.

Sledge
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:00:48 PM by Sledge »
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

A number of members on this forum have bought bikes site unseen.....several ways to go about it.

Have a member of this forum go look at it.
Have the selling party tell you who their local dealership is and have them look at it for you (they probably already know the bike and may even know the service history).

Shipping.....there are several but I think the majority here have used Keyboard Motorcycle shippers  http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/

Or you could fly up on a Friday and ride it back home! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member

I bought my SEUC from a distance as well, and I love the advice about having the guy bring it to a local HD dealer for an inspection.

Mine was from a forum member, so I had the ability to search out past posts to see if there were any mention of issues, and to track/validate mods, etc. Once I was committed, the follow allowed me a couple of day hold without a deposit, and a flew out there. Bike looked great, so I rode it home.  Was a great experience.

In this situation, seeing how low the miles are, I think a HD dealer inspection would be sufficient. I think riding home is a great experience and gives you a chance to get a good feel for the bike, but if that's out of the cards, you might have to ship. I hate shipping simply because the high incident of issues, but that's your call.

If all else falls through, I am about 50 to 60 miles away, and might be able to help. Better yet, get me a one way ticket home, and cover my expenses, and I'll ride it to you!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

I found out a lot about the owner and I am a lot more comfortable now.  He is president of a medical instrument manufacturing company.  They hold at least a dozen patents.  He said an over the phone handshake is good enough for him to keep the bike off the market 'till I can get it.

I agree about the dealer inspection.  It should be enough to satisfy me.

I have heard from someone else here about Keyboard transit but I haven't heard about a high incidence of problems.  Can you give me more info on that?  I guess something might get scuffed or scratched but how often does that happen?  If it is damaged what do you have to do to get it taken care of?

What's the best way to transfer the funds so everybody can feel comfortable with it?  Can/will the dealer help with the title or funds transfer or any shipping details?

Thanks
Arlo Guthrie

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member

I found out a lot about the owner and I am a lot more comfortable now.  He is president of a medical instrument manufacturing company.  They hold at least a dozen patents.  He said an over the phone handshake is good enough for him to keep the bike off the market 'till I can get it.

I agree about the dealer inspection.  It should be enough to satisfy me.

I have heard from someone else here about Keyboard transit but I haven't heard about a high incidence of problems.  Can you give me more info on that?  I guess something might get scuffed or scratched but how often does that happen?  If it is damaged what do you have to do to get it taken care of?

What's the best way to transfer the funds so everybody can feel comfortable with it?  Can/will the dealer help with the title or funds transfer or any shipping details?

Thanks

I wasn't remarking about Keyboard at all, just my impression of shippers in general. I think overall they probably do a pretty good job, but those few incidents you probably hear alot about so, it's hard to know what the real incident rate is.  I would suspect that if there is an issue, the outcome could be widely vary unless you photograph every square inch upon pickup, and do a close inspection when it arrives. As with anything, little scratches and stuff can be hard to prove. Certainly, if the entire bike gets trashed, that's an open and shut kind of a thing, but it's the little stuff you got to worry about.

Regarding payment, again I really, really recommend you fly out and ride the bike back. Then you get to inspect and test ride the bike first, and you can bring a cashiers check. Worse thing is, if it doesn't look right, you book a flight home to avoid a lemon, and no harm done.  If you ask the dealer to handle the transaction, they probably will, but will want a fee to get involved. There might be tax implications as well - I know in Illinois, if a dealer is involved on a used bike you pay full sales tax! On a private party sale, you pay less something like $50. You got to factor all that in.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:32:15 PM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

Anything can happen, but Keystone has been good for many members here.  Recourse, if damaged, would be through them...they will record any defects or problems before loading, and you can inspect upon receipt.

I'm sure the dealer could help, for a fee.  If the Title is clear (no liens) the process is pretty straightforward.  Each state is different with regards to titles, but generally, he would just sign it over to you, then you transfer, along with the Bill of Sale, at your local DMV in Mississippi.  In Alabama, you'd pay sales tax at that point, in addition to any other fees involved in licensing, etc., but Miss may be different.  There is a certain degree of trust involved in a transaction like this, on both sides, but if I were the seller, I'd want a Certified Bank Check, sent Federal Express overnight.  Same on your end with the Title and BOS.  If the title is not clear, then the check is made out to both the seller and whoever holds the title.

Basically, you have to go by "vibes" you get from the selling party as to the amount of trust you have in them.  I've done this kind of thing on several occasions over my lifetime, even when the title was not clear, and everything works out fine.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010

There is a certain degree of trust involved in a transaction like this, on both sides, but if I were the seller, I'd want a Certified Bank Check, sent Federal Express overnight.  Same on your end with the Title and BOS.  If the title is not clear, then the check is made out to both the seller and whoever holds the title.

Basically, you have to go by "vibes" you get from the selling party as to the amount of trust you have in them.  I've done this kind of thing on several occasions over my lifetime, even when the title was not clear, and everything works out fine.

X2-well said.

www.haulbikes.com     I believe they are out of Wisconsin.

www.eagleoneexpress.com   I have used them.

Both of these just ride your bike into their tariler and tie them down.   Other shippers put them on a skid and secure them that way.   All the two mentioned companies do is transport bikes.

Good luck and post pictures when you get it.

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

Great info guys,

As far as the inspection I've talked to the dealer there and they will do it for 45 bux.  I will request a test ride be part of it if it's not in the inspection list.  I have a good feeling about the seller though and really don't anticipate any problems on his end with condition.

Think I will go with Keyboard for the shipping.  They seem to have a good system to secure and ship and they tout big name builders as their customers in their video.

If I get the dealer to do the transaction could I use a credit card instead of fedexing the check?  Seems easier.

How about PayPal?

Thanks

Ps. I can taste the bugs already, yum.

Hey Magloo..  re.  If all else falls through, I am about 50 to 60 miles away, and might be able to help. Better yet, get me a one way ticket home, and cover my expenses, and I'll ride it to you!

:)Thanks for the offer guy but if anyone puts that many miles on it, it's gonna be me lol.   1,000 miles!  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:28:08 PM by Sledge »
Arlo Guthrie

hogasm

fed x the check or do a direct deposit

paypal costs 4%

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010

Most people don't want to take a credit card on that amount of money when the card charges the person 2-3% of the amount for accepting the card.   I would overnite him a bank check if you were fully satisfied with the dealer's inspection.  Also have the seller fax you a copy of the title-now.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

I don't know about all CC or all the "rules" about charging something like this on a card, but I know at the Toyota dealership I worked at, there was a limit on how much could be charged at one time.  In addition, somebody has got to pay the CC fees charged by the CC company for the use of the card.  On a purchase like this, those charges would be relatively significant.

If the seller agreed, you could use Paypal (unless there's limit on amounts through Paypal), but on his end, there would be fees involved in "withdrawing" the money from the Paypal account...again, fairly significant charges and a delay in transferring funds.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Great info guys,

As far as the inspection I've talked to the dealer there and they will do it for 45 bux.  I will request a test ride be part of it if it's not in the inspection list.  I have a good feeling about the seller though and really don't anticipate any problems on his end with condition.

Think I will go with Keyboard for the shipping.  They seem to have a good system to secure and ship and they tout big name builders as their customers in their video.

If I get the dealer to do the transaction could I use a credit card instead of fedexing the check?  Seems easier.

How about PayPal?

Thanks

Ps. I can taste the bugs already, yum.

Hey Magloo..  re.  If all else falls through, I am about 50 to 60 miles away, and might be able to help. Better yet, get me a one way ticket home, and cover my expenses, and I'll ride it to you!

:)Thanks for the offer guy but if anyone puts that many miles on it, it's gonna be me lol.   1,000 miles!  

It'll be what ever form of payment the seller is willing to accept.

1,000 miles......can be done in a day but an easy two day ride. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4

The dealer in Kenosha, Uke's Harley Davidson is one of the better ones.  They will handle whichever part of the transaction you pay them to handle.

I've used Keyboard twice with great results.  Keyboard will pick up and drop off at a residence.  It doesn't have to be a business, as with some transport companies.  It sounds like you have some confidence in the seller.  I'd do a bit of research of him and his company.  If he is the President of a Medical Instruments company, odds are in your favor that he's not going to do anything to jeopardize his name and position.  Realistically, 2011 and 660 miles....how much could be wrong?  I would send him a certified check or wire him the money, whichever is acceptable to him.  And I'd ask him to Fed Ex or UPS the title to me.  There has to be some trust on both sides - if not you may as well get a plane ticket.  If he's willing to have Keyboard pick up the bike at his residence, I'd do that.  If he's not able to accomodate Keyboard, then I'd make arrangements for Uke's HD to handle the pickup by Keyboard - for a fee of course.  I've both bought and sold bikes over the internet and never had a bad experience.  I suppose there are those that have had issues, but I'd bet the vast majority are problem free...

Here is some photos of a bike I bought being delivered by Keyboard...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

Keyboard...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

Keyboard...

The driver handled the unloading completely....
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.