Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Road King too big  (Read 14611 times)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
Re: Road King too big
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »

The MSF courses are the best first step if you haven't ridden, even if you have been riding for a while the course is recommended, you will learn why you keep having the same problems and how to correct them. After the initial course and you have a few miles under you go for the advanced MSF course, more emphasis on low speed maneuvers in that one and you use your own bike. Get yourself a DVD copy of "Ride Like a Pro" and practice, practice, practice until you get the skills mastered and the fear conquered. The most basic advice is look where you want to go, not where the bike is headed and stay off the front brake in low speed maneuvers. I always use the rear brake only in slow maneuvers and work the clutch in the friction zone to keep just enough forward momentum to stay upright. Leave the front brake alone until the bike is upright/near vertical or it will nosedive and throw you off balance. Be safe whatever you do.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

PedroHarley

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 02:35:46 AM »

Thank u for the reply.

I am doing everything you guys tell me to. Look away from front wheel and do not use front brake to stop. But the bike still wants to fall.

Tomorrow I am taking the bike to the Harley shop to be looked at and repaired as needed under warranty. They were not sure why the bike would fall slow speed and not turn sharp but they agreed to look into it.

I asked my wife the controller of our finances to allow me to go to  another training class but she has informed me that my msf was enough and that I will not be allowed to until our tax refund around March 2011.

I'm sure once the dealer looks at the bike and repairs it so it will turn and stop better (I assume it's the same problem causing both symptoms?), I will feel more komfident on the bike.

Has anyone ever had a problem with there bike like I have? How long did the repair take? I asked about service loaner but they said they're all out. My wife wants the bike back by Thursday so we can ride up to lake Tahoe over a long week end.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 08:54:34 AM »

I get the feeling "Pedro" is having fun with this.    :P

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 09:12:59 AM »

Pedro, when you get the bike back, take off the mirrors, remove the windshield and bags, tape up the crash bars and go practice in a parking lot. Don't just ride it around, but make a point to work on specific techniques, like posture, a snapping head turn, head and eye placement, staying in the friction zone, and rear brake control. Regular parking lot practice is the difference between an average rider and and a very good rider.

Last Sunday I had a bunch of Goldwing riders in my afternoon class. They were ALL very good riders. They moved those HUGE bikes around like it was nothing. I came to find out that every one of them practices regularly and makes a point to taking a riding course once a year.

Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »

x2
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

daleg3556

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »

Either that or he is going to kill himself. :'(

2007 SERK
2008 FXDC 105th S/N 0001/2000
2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
IBA #47074

I'm working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect...Doug Sanders

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 10:05:59 AM »

Either that or he is going to kill himself.

I thought the same thing. If it is a jokester, then more power to him. If it's not, he should be encouraged to improve, for his safety, his family and everyone else on the street. I've seen riders with "Pedros" issue going wide on turns and it's a frightening thing.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »

Either that or he is going to kill himself. :'(
Pedro if you are for real, you need to listen to the great advice you have received. If you are this concerned about riding and the shop does not find any problems, maybe you should stay around the house.
 If you are truly looking for advice you are at the right place.  Hope you are not BS'ing with this. Good luck and pay attention.
 Ray
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »

Pedro if you are for real, you need to listen to the great advice you have received. If you are this concerned about riding and the shop does not find any problems, maybe you should stay around the house.
 If you are truly looking for advice you are at the right place.  Hope you are not BS'ing with this. Good luck and pay attention.
 Ray

X2

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 04:52:28 PM »

Well the wonderful loving wife won't let you take another course due to funding  AND she wants to ride on the back on an out of towner. :nervous: :D :huepfenlol2: LMK if this a joke cause I could really take this a way down road, :2vrolijk_21: King.

Not being able to make a turn is unacceptable, period. I see you are having the bike looked at and fixed, please do tell what was wrong with it.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »

X3...Pedro, if you're for real, there is nothing wrong with your bike.  You just can't ride, and have no business on the bike.  Get some lessons, read some books, practice, or SELL the bike.  Period.  I don't know how to say it any more plain than that...

If you are messing with us, find somewhere else to play games about advice concerning whether you live or die...this chit ain't funny.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »

I don't think he's joking.  His second post on the site ...

I have been riding for three months. At the age of 57 I took the MSF and got myself a Rebel 250. I didn't like that bike any longer and got a Road King. It is one big adjustment. I haven't been on any long tours. The longest ride I have done is 120 miles. I researched Angeles Crest and have determined it is not for me. I think it will be too challenging. Especially with the extra stress of being in a group.

Maybe I will stop by to say hello on Monday morning.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »

I asked my wife the controller of our finances to allow me to go to  another training class but she has informed me that my msf was enough and that I will not be allowed to until our tax refund around March 2011.

Has anyone ever had a problem with there bike like I have? How long did the repair take? I asked about service loaner but they said they're all out. My wife wants the bike back by Thursday so we can ride up to lake Tahoe over a long week end.

In Vermont, the basic MSF is $160.00.  If you drop your bike and do ANY damage, I can guarantee you it is going to cost more then that.

Is she trying to collect on your life insurance policy?  Does your wife have a death wish?  If so, then riding with you is away to fulfill it.

Do you have a motorcycle endorsement on your license?  From what you are describing there is no way you would get one in Vermont.

Do you mean March 2012?
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »

re. "I asked my wife the controller of our finances to allow me to go to  another training class but she has informed me that my msf was enough and that I will not be allowed to until our tax refund around March 2011. "

Pedro, Dude.  You have got to be kidding.  Grow some balls man.  Wife says your training is enough and you are dumping the bike and turning into oncoming traffic?  Do you work?  How much does she think it will cost if you get hurt or killed?  Get a frickin' divorce NOW!!!  Put the bike in the corner, go down to the Harley Dealership, tell them you are going to kill yourself if you don't get some instruction.

Now if you ARE kidding you are one sadistic, twisted, sick (and not in a good way), person.  Also funny.  Since this thread is making me laugh now.
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »

....only a few minutes ago I received an e-mail from my Wife....telling me about the advanced riders course being offered  in Chemanis this coming week-end....and she rarely rides on the back anymore since she has gotten her own Harley.....I think she does still love me!!!

I'm not attending though, for two reasons:#1 Season is really almost over, even here on the Island...and I'd rather take that course a week or two into a                               new          season.
                                                               #2 I would have to miss the last afternoon of it as I need to hit the highway to work Sunday afternoon.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.