Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Not everyone should ride a motorcycle...  (Read 11464 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Not everyone should ride a motorcycle...
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »

Agreed.  On I-90 inbetween Winona and St. Charles, I had three retarded Harley riders loaded down and assumingly on their way to Sturgis pass me on the shoulder in a single lane construction zone at what had to be 80mph or a slightly greater speed.  It took everything I had not to run them off the road.  If I didn't have a car full of kids, they would've tested an H-D's ability to go off road.  With stupid riding like that, they are on their way to becoming a statistic.

That comment about has me speechless.  And coming from someone who rides.    :nixweiss:

Riding 80mph on the shoulder in single lane construction is dangerous and foolish - but for someone who rides to even think of intentionally running a motorcyclist going 80mph off the road into the grass is almost beyond belief.  Someone who rides should know the consequences of that idiotic move is potentially deadly.  Not your finest moment, Hank...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2011, 09:09:04 PM »

That comment about has me speechless.  And coming from someone who rides.    :nixweiss:

I'm not speechless.  It was a stupid thing to say and a sentiment that doesn't belong.  Not just doesn't belong coming from a rider but doesn't belong; period.  No better than the gentlepeople (that's how you show sarcasm when you're writing) in their cages that do make it dangerous for us on purpose.

I don't even have the same take on the accidents that many of the crowd here seem to.  Neither seemed to me to come from extreme nor zealous over-riding relative to the conditions and machines.  First guy blew a tire and went down.  It happens.  Could to any one of us at any time.

Second guy was coming around a corner and, unexpectedly, saw a police car.  He saw the cop at a time when he had other things to do.  But that's when he saw the cop.  And the cop is what he then reacted to, rather than the pavement he was navigating.  His mistake was that he focused on the cop.  So in to the cop is exactly where he rode.

It was a mistake.  But it was a mistake of focus (or lack thereof) caused by the unexpected cop causing an unplanned change of reaction at just the wrong time.  It wasn't some testostone fueled wheelie induced crotch rocket crash.  The poor guy just screwed up.  Just like any one of us could do if we lost focus of where we were going through a busy curve at just the wrong time.

That's all separate and apart from wishing ill to another rider.  That just can't happen.  There are too few of us out there.  We're too badly outnumbered to be worried about our own.  I've seen idiot riders on the road.  I don't wish them harm.  I may wish them tickets from the local law and might have even made a phone call to help make that happen.  As much for their good as my own.  But to wish another rider harm is one of the more dipchit things a rider can do.

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »

Interesting comment coming from someone who rides.... sure hope no one has to tell your kids one day that daddy got run of the road by somebody that was pissed off at the way he was riding his motorcycle. :(

Not that I agree w/the way those rider's were riding or do I agree with a lot of the other stupid things people do on bikes but to take a vehicle and run them off the road is not anyway to handle the situation. :no:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

well said   :2vrolijk_21:    you can not out run KARMA  :coolblue:

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2011, 03:53:06 AM »

...  Poker runs, drunken rallies, and retarded riders give motorcyclists a bad name.  ...

Hmmm, I'm afraid I belong to those who give motorcyclists a bad name  ::)

Traffic regulations are made for the most stupid and unaware driver in the most inadequate vehicle ::)

"Lane splitting" is strictly illegal over here as are many other typical motorcycle practices, road blocking for instance or passing by the stopped cars at red lights. But many riders - including myself - have those habits and it's normaly tolerated both by car drivers and police as long as nobody gets endangered by doing so. Also I usually ride - and drive - 20 km/h above speed limits (that's the "affordable" range over here). With the "mods" on my bike I actually break the law the very minute I hit the public road  ;)

So you may say I'm a habitual offender  ;D

That's even right I'm afraid - and I'm perfectly aware some other people every day take offense by my riding - and driving - style - and some of my other habits too  8) But I usually know what I do and only once caused an accident  - "misinterpreted" right of way in a dark night on an unknown road over 20 years and about a million miles ago:-X

...  I've never done anything stupid on a motorcycle ...

Oh I did and still do, quite often actually - but I try to keep it as rare and as safe as possible  ;)

I won't change any more in my old ages I'm afraid  ;D

Certainly you may say I'm not "political correct" nor even a "good citizen" - and I would have to answer that's actually not even intended  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »

I've never done anything stupid on a motorcycle...ever...

Thank God (and Moses with that whole "first stone" thing) that you're perfect on the bike Hank.  Because with sentiments like the following in your head there's enough "stupid" running around up there for the rest of the time.

It took everything I had not to run them off the road.  If I didn't have a car full of kids, they would've tested an H-D's ability to go off road.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »

So................ he pulled all his posts and dropped his membership?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »

So................ he pulled all his posts and dropped his membership?

Guess when you've never made a mistake you need a better grade of friends than we offer.  And when you can run someone else off the (digital) road you have to make the hard right on your own.

That's cool.  Don't think we've had anyone MFG himself since, well, MFG :huepfenlol2: .

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »

I though the exit was at stage left?

Miss a day or two and lose out on all kinds of conversations  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

PASN YU

• Ride Hard
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Mako Shark
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »

I guess you guys pissed Hank off.  :sauer005:
Trust, but verify.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »

I guess you guys pissed Hank off.  :sauer005:

We're better off without him. He seemed like a pompous arse to me anyway... good riddance to people like that!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »

I feel sorry for each and anybody we loose - but it's the internet phenomenon. If you meet in person you may have a dispute but the expirience of riding together will knit a companionship that survives even a harsh dispute. Log in or logout is just ever so easy ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »

everyone wants to quote there rights, well on the other foot I also have the pursuit of Happiness and that means being able to ride my motorcycle down the road without fear of some idiot that has not a clue from running over me, When the Constitution and The Bill of Rights were written, I really don't think riding motorcycles were a part of it. Anyway no one has the right to to put anyone else's life in jeopardy. In this state if you let some one ride a motorcycle without endorsement they come after that person

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »

I feel sorry for each and anybody we loose - but it's the internet phenomenon. If you meet in person you may have a dispute but the expirience of riding together will knit a companionship that survives even a harsh dispute. Log in or logout is just ever so easy ...

True and your first post was even more pointed.

Of course not all should ride motorcycles. The trouble starts when you tell another what to do and not do.

AZ Sparky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 in Kryptonite/Black
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »

True and your first post was even more pointed.

Of course not all should ride motorcycles. The trouble starts when you tell another what to do and not do.
VERY true - who decides who does and doesn't ride?

I know we have liscensing requirements.

We have safety courses available - required for some of us.

But neither of those measure a persons maturity/sense and THAT, IMHO, is the root of the problem - an individual's maturity/sense.
Sparky

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »

As mentioned earlier...a person needs to know their limitations.  I have exceeded mine a few times in life, and hopefully learned a few things in the process.  I guess you could call that "maturity", or the "School of Hard Knocks"...but 99.9% of those things did not put other lives in danger, only my own.  Most, in hindsight, were stupid, and I paid a price for some of them...

I've also SAID some stupid things in my life, but mostly had sense enough to realize they were stupid shortly after leaving my mouth.  It's a shame Hank left, but we all put on our big boy britches every day, and if you say something, you'd better be able to back it up, apologize, or shut the f@#$ up.  Or all three...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.