Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raise up rear of Street Glide  (Read 7624 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Raise up rear of Street Glide
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:10:22 PM »

Has  anyone ever put the 13 inch shocks on the street glide. The ride is harsh  with the 12 inch shocks   Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Dave H

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 ( SESG ) Orange/Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red ( Sadly Sold )
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE3 Black
Re: Raise up rear of Street Glide
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:53:13 AM »

Yep.
I just fitted standard  height ( Still adjustable ) premium HD shocks rear and New twin cartridge premium up front .
Huge improvement in ride quality and takes harshness out . Doesn't look as good at the rear - but that's cos You lose slammed look.
I did this because the quality of Roads in QLD is disgusting - Govt should be ashamed really .
Just going on 6000km trip to MotoGp , will let you know how it goes when we return .
Dave

rodgersd

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 03:36:21 AM »

dave, how did your suspension mods go? i find at high speed the rear shocks quite good but a little harsh at low speeds, i was thinking of doing the same mods as you but not sure if the longer rear spring is softer then standard or not, also convential forks vs cartridge forks have advantages over each other for fast and slow damping. dean

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:07:33 AM »

dave, how did your suspension mods go? i find at high speed the rear shocks quite good but a little harsh at low speeds, i was thinking of doing the same mods as you but not sure if the longer rear spring is softer then standard or not, also convential forks vs cartridge forks have advantages over each other for fast and slow damping. dean

The short shocks is what gives it the harsh ride, Take a look at Progressive 940's, From what i understand 12" shock with the travel (ride) of a 13", Thats the next project for my Road King.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »

Has  anyone ever put the 13 inch shocks on the street glide. The ride is harsh  with the 12 inch shocks   Thanks Billy

Another option is looking at Works Performance shocks. I changed to 13" on my SERG and their option has ride height adjustability. They custom build them to your riding style, load, etc and offer a discount to forum members. Once I set them up correctly, I found them to be a very nice shock. Just giving you another alternative, good luck. :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

Dave H

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 ( SESG ) Orange/Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red ( Sadly Sold )
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE3 Black
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 01:44:15 AM »

Hey guys
Sorry I haven't been back on this particular post earlier.
Just did a trip  from Central Queensland down to MotoGP at Phillip Island and return - just under 5000km round trip.
Ive gotta say the longer  rear suspension worked a treat. I did not bottom out at all and I had a fair bit of luggage loaded up for 14 days away.
The front cartridges worked really well too. I did get a bit of wallowing on one section of twisty road that was a bit of a goat track when I was pushing fairly hard to stay ahead of some rain a day behind us.
But overall I am very happy with the ride now.
I will post a photo later on of the bikes loaded up when we left to give you an idea ( just have to download from camera first)
Cheers
Dave

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 03:05:19 AM »

A lot of riders like the Ohlins too. Anyone tried those yet?

I like the idea of the Progressive 940s. How do you get 13" of travel out of a 12" shock?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:50 AM »

A lot of riders like the Ohlins too. Anyone tried those yet?

I like the idea of the Progressive 940s. How do you get 13" of travel out of a 12" shock?
From Progressive's web site...

Specifically designed to deliver a comfortable ride at a 1" lowered stance. Built around our "Best in Class" IAS technology, The Ultra Touring shocks utilize all the suspension travel provided by these 13" eye to eye units, but provide a 1" lowered ride height. The unique Ultra Touring spring combination not only delivers a lowered ride height while its being ridden, but also while its on the side stand.

Just had them installed on my bike and can say they are a lot better than the stock air shocks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 08:08:01 AM »

Interesting.  While many on this forum are trying to get them even lower (so they're flat footed when stopped).....a few are trying to get them higher (due to the "harsh" ride).  Reminds me of the days of hardtails and rigid frames and I'm really grateful for the ride I have on my SESG! :2vrolijk_21:  And fortunately, for me, at 6'4" I don't have the other problem, either. :2vrolijk_21:

Heading out today for a 500-600 mile ride up in the mountains and some beautiful contryside and really looking forward to it.  ;)
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 09:16:54 AM »

JC,

Last Saturday was Karens first ride on The Eagle. She commented that it rode much rougher than my old '01 Ultra, especially over bumps where she thought her spine was being crunched. Since the frame is essentially the same, I attribute it to the lower StreetGlide shocks. So I am prepared to either raise the bike back up to OEM height, or look for some better shocks. While it is nice for a short guy like me to be able to flat foot, I am scraping that bike in almost every corner and turn. I removed the floorboard spacers and raised the boards to the highest settings. Now I scrape the kickstand (I tore off the spring last month) and the frame.

Enjoy your ride today.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 09:40:50 AM »

Where you headed.....Legends? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 10:19:37 AM »

JC,

I'll probably go with Progressive, Werks or Ohlins. I'm not a big fan of those air powered ride height systems. I know a lot of riders like them but I'll stick with shocks. Maybe pick up a pair at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show.

Mark

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 04:12:22 PM »

Well I'm going with stock shocks. I found a member on another forum with shocks off his '09 with 3K on them. He wants to lower his bike so we are swapping shocks. I've heard positive results from riders who have done the same.

I'll see how it rides, and maybe down the road (literally) I'll see about reinstalling the longer factory springs up front. When I eventually get the bike back to OEM height, I'll install a center stand. Plus I won't be dragging in the turns and corners anymore.

Mark

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 20 queries.