Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Quiet top end  (Read 8447 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Quiet top end
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:51:42 PM »

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has figured out how to loose the top end noise between 2200-2800. My bike is a 09SEUC and other than that I am happy with the stage one Fulsac Kit performance wise, and the bike in general.I have only about 13,000 miles. I want to keep my stock cams because I like the low end grunt. Anyways sorry to rehash this question but, has anyone gotten rid of the top end noise without changing camshafts, and if so what did you do. I think I have read other posts on this but I would like to hear from someone who has done this without changing cams if possible. Thanks in advance. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Quiet top end
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:38 PM »

The valve springs are not the quietest design. You could run a 160# beehive
Other than that if the noise has gotten worse over time there is a possibility of a bad lifter(s)
Third and less likely piston slap.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:22:36 AM »

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has figured out how to loose the top end noise between 2200-2800. My bike is a 09SEUC and other than that I am happy with the stage one Fulsac Kit performance wise, and the bike in general.I have only about 13,000 miles. I want to keep my stock cams because I like the low end grunt. Anyways sorry to rehash this question but, has anyone gotten rid of the top end noise without changing camshafts, and if so what did you do. I think I have read other posts on this but I would like to hear from someone who has done this without changing cams if possible. Thanks in advance. CAHDBIKER
By design they all clatter somewhat, Some much worse then others, I had a club member try to fix the noise by throwing on parts, Lifters, roller rockers, Camshaft, Pushrods and an assortment of internal parts, and to my ears the clatter got worse just changed frequencey.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:10:25 AM by dartman »

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 05:59:21 AM »

If its not piston slap, S+S lifters with travel limiters, and adjustable pushrods, setup as per the S+S web site following the Note "engine builders often like to shorten the pushrods an extra half a turn, this seems to allow the pumping operation of the lifter to work better".

It worked for me.
WHUFC   COYI

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »

CompCams 875-1 Lifters, Made in USA travel limited forged steel body, Jegs $14
Smiths push rods or SE 18404-08
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:20:00 AM by Deweysheads »

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »

Amsoil worked for my bike. 
Not mine; Amsoil was no quieter on my 110.  I went back to Syn3 and honestly believe it sounds better.
T

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 02:26:02 AM »

There is s switch just left of the throttle that will make the top end completely silent for you!

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 07:08:42 AM »

52-5800 RPM is the suggested range.  RINEHART or D&D is the suggested exhaust.  Top-end noise; GONE!  There endeth the lesson.  ;) Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »

52-5800 RPM is the suggested range.  RINEHART or D&D is the suggested exhaust.  Top-end noise; GONE!  There endeth the lesson.  ;) Later--HUBBARD 

Good one Hubbard.......................... :coolblue:.........................Fuzznuts
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »

What I hear from everyone at the MoCo, a silent top end would not be "normal".  Does that mean something is wrong?
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »

murphy, I already tried that and it only works when you hit 100MPH. Thanks for a little humor. Since I am also from Canada I would like to tell you that I was out riding at 11:pm two nights ago and it was still 80 degrees. A lot better than Winnipeg where I used to live. By the way do the mosquitos have to get a pilot's license? Just a little kidding around.CAHDBIKER

There is s switch just left of the throttle that will make the top end completely silent for you!

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »

Thanks again for your imput. Noise is a little less than new since I run either redline or Amsoil in the engine. I guess if I had really loud exhaust it wouldn't even be an issue, because overall I am happy with the bike. The 1.75 Fulsacs aren't that loud, but I like them. Thanks again. CAHDBIKER

The valve springs are not the quietest design. You could run a 160# beehive
Other than that if the noise has gotten worse over time there is a possibility of a bad lifter(s)
Third and less likely piston slap.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 01:59:36 AM »

I have a 09 serg and i found that turning up the radio helped. But that only worked for a while.Then I changed cams,oil pump,bearings, lifters, push rods,cam plate, now its quiet. Cant leave this simple stuff up to the moco they might screw it up.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »

digga25, what amazes me the most is that HD quality control would actually let these engines, as noisy as a lot of the guys on the site  say they are including myself plus the winny 5th gear in the 09s, go out to the consumer. You would think the guys that test ride the prototypes would tell quality control that the valve train noise was too loud,. and 5th gear was too noisy  and to fix it before they start selling them. I mean this is their top of the line product. I never test rode mine before I bought it, but if I had I would have gotten my deposit back and looked for something else. On one occasion I was parked at a place called "the rock store " a biker hangout in the Santa Monica Mountains. A guy pulls up next to me on a softtail nighttrain with stock exhaust and you couldn't even hear his valve train. If they can make a 96 incher run quiet they should be able to make a 110 run quiet. after all they have been making motorcycles for a long friggen time. Sorry for the long post, but every time  I hear the lifters rattle between 2200-2800 I get pissed. CAHDBIKER

I have a 09 serg and i found that turning up the radio helped. But that only worked for a while.Then I changed cams,oil pump,bearings, lifters, push rods,cam plate, now its quiet. Cant leave this simple stuff up to the moco they might screw it up.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »

digga25, what amazes me the most is that HD quality control would actually let these engines, as noisy as a lot of the guys on the site  say they are including myself plus the winny 5th gear in the 09s, go out to the consumer. You would think the guys that test ride the prototypes would tell quality control that the valve train noise was too loud,. and 5th gear was too noisy  and to fix it before they start selling them. I mean this is their top of the line product. I never test rode mine before I bought it, but if I had I would have gotten my deposit back and looked for something else. On one occasion I was parked at a place called "the rock store " a biker hangout in the Santa Monica Mountains. A guy pulls up next to me on a softtail nighttrain with stock exhaust and you couldn't even hear his valve train. If they can make a 96 incher run quiet they should be able to make a 110 run quiet. after all they have been making motorcycles for a long friggen time. Sorry for the long post, but every time  I hear the lifters rattle between 2200-2800 I get pissed. CAHDBIKER

I agree 100%!!  Why do we have to put money into a motor to get it to sound right when it should have been right on day 1.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 21 queries.