Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike goes dead  (Read 1101 times)

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
Bike goes dead
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:37:17 PM »

My wife's 2011 SE Convertible was going dead everytime the rpms fell below 1000 on deceleration.  Pull up to a red light you would have to keep it throttled up or it would go dead.(Dangerous situation) We were traveling when this started and pulled in the first Harley dealership we came to and they took us right in and got on it.  They contacted Harley and they said they were aware of it and it would be a download out soon to take care of that.  The odd thing is when I got back on the bike it has not done it again since the scan tool had been hooked up to the bike.  Contacted the dealer and and they stated they had not done anything except scan for a code that may have been set.  Glad it's running right again but was wondering if anyone else have had the same problem of going dead?

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
Re: Bike goes dead
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:21:24 AM »

Happened to me once on a foggy morning on way to work
started to stall going to a stop
turned around after getting it going and headed back home stumbling a low rpm 1000 when it just cleared up never did it again
Mike

millmutt

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
    • CVO2: 2007 FXDSE
    • CVO3: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:57:54 AM »

Hello,
 Sounds like it may be something with the throttle by wire? I have had two instances when a TBW bike have gone into the limp mode, would run but nothing
beyond an idle. Happened 2 years ago on an 08 Street Glide while going down Spearfish Canyon and a few weeks ago with an 11 Convertible in Ely, NV. Both times
after wiggling the connections at the throttle body the bikes then ran fine and never suffered any further problems.
 I don't really see a great benefit to the TBW from the rider's standpoint, beside it might be less costly to manufacture and assemble and thus hold the price point down
but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Millmutt

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:52:47 AM »

Did this bike have the BCM recall done? If not, this could cause the bike to stall also.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 01:57:43 PM »

Did this bike have the BCM recall done? If not, this could cause the bike to stall also.
No recall has been done.  Dealer should have known if a recall was needed when they ran the VIN of the bike.  Said a new download was going to be available for it.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 24 queries.