Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: New Nolan N-104 review.....  (Read 48917 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: New Nolan N-104 review.....
« Reply #210 on: August 04, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »

So after some use, although not much lately due to the heat, some comments.

A bit noisy with the vents open
The Sound level can not be set high enough at speed. Something different between this and my Cardo. With my Cardo the speakers are directly over the ear canal. The 104 has the speakers in much larger pockets
The radio, although much better in the reception and sound quality over the Cardo constantly cuts out
The BT phone sounds better with the Cardo. Music is a no brainer though
I still haven't figured out a way to BT the radio output from the bike
The lower trim under the BT module pops out almost every time I put the helmet on (from pulling it outwards to slip over the noggin)

No rain test yet  :2vrolijk_21:

I will still be getting a 2nd one for the Deb though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:23:54 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #211 on: August 04, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »

So after some use, although not much lately due to the heat, some comments.

A bit noisy with the vents open
The Sound level can not be set high enough at speed. Something different between this and my Cardo. With my Cardo the speakers are directly over the ear canal. The 104 has the speakers in much larger pockets
The radio, although much better in the reception and sound quality over the Cardo constantly cuts out
The BT phone sounds better with the Cardo. Music is a no brainer though
I still haven't figured out a way to BT the radio output from the bike
The lower trim under the BT module pops out almost every time I put the helmet on (from pulling it outwards to slip over the noggin)

No rain test yet  :2vrolijk_21:

I will still be getting a 2nd one for the Deb though.

I have been using the same setup for a couple of months now.  Bought two helmets and BT sets at the same time.  Love the helmets, but the BT is junk.  The little ribbon cable pulled loose from both units straight away, but I repaired them myself so no further problem there.  Have the unit paired with my iphone and Zumo 660.  Work ok as long as they are all left on, but if all three are turned off they will not recognize each other when turned back on; have to go the the pairing process EVERY time they are turned back on.

Cannot adjust the sound level on the BT to where it is satisfactory level for Zumo, phone and passenger simultaneously.  Have tried every combination possible and if the sound level is set right for one it is either too loud or not loud enough for the others.  Extremely frustrating.

This helmet/BT combination is too damn expensive to be this frustrating to operate.  The Cardo wasn't perfect, but it beat this junk.  Maybe they will have a firmware update soon that will solve some of the inherent problems with these units.  I highly recommend NOT purchasing these units.  I wish that I hadn't.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »

I have been using the same setup for a couple of months now.  Bought two helmets and BT sets at the same time.  Love the helmets, but the BT is junk.  The little ribbon cable pulled loose from both units straight away, but I repaired them myself so no further problem there.  Have the unit paired with my iphone and Zumo 660.  Work ok as long as they are all left on, but if all three are turned off they will not recognize each other when turned back on; have to go the the pairing process EVERY time they are turned back on.

Cannot adjust the sound level on the BT to where it is satisfactory level for Zumo, phone and passenger simultaneously.  Have tried every combination possible and if the sound level is set right for one it is either too loud or not loud enough for the others.  Extremely frustrating.

This helmet/BT combination is too damn expensive to be this frustrating to operate.  The Cardo wasn't perfect, but it beat this junk.  Maybe they will have a firmware update soon that will solve some of the inherent problems with these units.  I highly recommend NOT purchasing these units.  I wish that I hadn't.

One of the locals got this kit about the same time that several here did.  Shortly after he let me borrow it for a weekend.  Found it be very quirky also.  You could make it work.  But it was annoying and required regular screwing with.  My old N102 and 2nd gen NCom was a lot less hassle and just keeps on working.  I saved the cash for beer and Road King parts.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »

3000 mile road test.

Well the first real test was to Maggie Valley.
After the first 150-200 miles it was hurting so much over my eyeglass temples I was ready to throw it away - but I didn't have another  helmet with me.

On the cheek pads I pulled some of the foam out along the top. This area was pushing so hard the frames were digging into my temples and really hurting.
Moving the foam seemed to help. First night at the hotel I got out the scissors and permanently removed the foam.
That worked for that issue.

Apparently though, the cheek pads were causing enough discomfort that I did not notice the helmet pressing on my ear, directly on the the eyeglass frame were it goes behind the ear. That was also painful.

Over the next several days I removed some foam, cut part of the cheek pad away and removed part of the inner liner where the seam rested on my ear.
When all of this didn't work I resorted to compressing the rigid foam that is used for the liner. Using a TV remove from the hotel, I managed to compress the foam by rolling the remote back and forth.
Did this several times between rides to no avail. Eventually I did find the area causing the problem. It was about an inch below where the helmet actually rested over my ear.

Using the TV remote English roller I did some additional compressing. That worked - although, I now felt the pressure over the other ear. A little more rolling and I seemed to have it "relieved" (read damaged) enough to not cause pain.

In driving rain, with the pin-loc inner shield, visibility was excellent, with no leakage around the visor and no fogging. Rain ran off the visor like a windshield treated with rain-X. Finally, a "vision system" I can actually use in the rain.

The trim piece that kept popping out - still pops out, but I finally broke off the tab so I would not have to keep trying to jam it back into place.

The speakers are not over the ear canal. I think this is detrimental to both perceived volume and tonal quality.

No Bluetooth music from radio :thumbsdown:

The helmet lets too much road and bike noise in. And the high pitch whine from tractor trailer tires as they pass by almost seems to be amplified and quite is annoying.

I did not use the lower snap in neck dam, maybe that would help.

Airflow through the vents was minimal and barely noticeable. Noise when the upper vent when in the "open scooped" position is just as noisy as other FF's I have.

I would suggest if you are interested in this helmet and wear glasses that you arrange for a test fitting where you can wear/use it at least for an hour.

MV 2013

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #214 on: October 05, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »

Good report.  I had the same earpiece issue on my N-102.  After a few hours riding, behind my ear would start hurting.  Otherwise, the helmet fit fine.  It is very difficult to know what shape your head is, and what shape the helmet is designed for.  Webikeworld does some pretty good reviews on helmet shape.  If you try and stick a long oval shaped head into an earth shaped hemet, there's going to be problems.  The problem is that you don't find these things out until you've worn the thing for a few hours, in addition to getting it "broken in".  My Shark Evoline 2 ST was giving me a hot spot on my upper forehead...I tried compressing the liner foam.  It helped, but no cigar.  I finally pulled the whole liner out and took a piece of sandpaper to the foam.  It didn't take much, and the problem was solved.  I probably removed 1/32nd of material from an area 1/2" wide by 2" long, just above my eyebrows.  I don't think that's enough to compromise the integrity of the helmet design.

The Shark has a softer foam liner where your eyeglass temples enter the helmet opening...that seems to help.  More manufacturers need to do that, IMO.  It's hard to make a helmet that fits everybody, even if the overall shape is right.  Our ears are not even, some sit higher, some sit lower, etc.  I talked to Pete about his N104 at length in MV and he loves it, and the sound system for the helmet.

The neck roll would probably help with noise entering the bottom of the helmet and bouncing around inside.  If you look at a Schuberth or Shoei Neotec, the neck roll is pretty snug.  My next helmet will probably be the Shoei Neotec, but I don't have $600 laying around right now.  Helmets are like windshields...seems like you have to try a couple before you get the one that's "just right".
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »

What I didn't like about the Schubert (besides price) was that the comms (Cardo) are in the neck dam. No dam for summer - no comms. The Schubert seems to really stick out when the chin bar is up, looks to be uncomfortable if riding that way.

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »

I swear it was the best helmet I ever put on my noggin......but then what do you expect coming from an egghead. :nixweiss:

I wear the RayBan Wayfarer sunglasses (with the wide ear pieces) and that was never an issue....not riding, putting it on or taking it off.  Just not an issue.

The bluetooth was a challenge at first but once we got that all figured out we were fine.  We put tens of thousands of miles on our bikes all over the west and we both loved them.  Terrie liked her Nolan Trilogy better, just because it was a bit lighter.

But if it was exceptionally cold or exceptionally hot out, the N-104 would win out over the lighter weight. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #217 on: October 05, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »

Duane, sorry you've had so many problems with your Nolan.  MV was my first long ride with the N-104 and I really liked it.  It was comfortable for my noggin and for the first time riding all day I wasn't exhausted when I got to my destination.  There was more noise than I'd expected for a full face (I had the neck roll, etc in place) but I could hear my music and received phone calls without issue so it's acceptable for my use.  Glad yours worked well in the rain, but glad I didn't have to test mine in MV this year for sure!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2012, 12:25:02 AM »

Duane,  wow, sorry to read this..  Almost sounds like you needed a size larger.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »

Duane, sorry you've had so many problems with your Nolan.  MV was my first long ride with the N-104 and I really liked it.  It was comfortable for my noggin and for the first time riding all day I wasn't exhausted when I got to my destination.  There was more noise than I'd expected for a full face (I had the neck roll, etc in place) but I could hear my music and received phone calls without issue so it's acceptable for my use.  Glad yours worked well in the rain, but glad I didn't have to test mine in MV this year for sure!

Pete - I didn't try the neck roll, figured it wouldn't be needed this trip. The worst thing about the discomfort is once it rears it's ugly head you keep thinking about it - kind of like the ear ringing thread some smart-azz had to start ...........

Do you have any issue with the black plastic trim popping out when you put the helmet on?
And that ribbon cable for the comms, I had to do some re-postioning to keep it from popping out.

Phone calls worked well, on both ends it seemed. Having used a Cardo for several years though, Cardo gets the nod on clarity and volume. As far as the perceived volume and music goes, I think it is more an issue of speaker placement over the ear canal.
Since it sounds great at a stop and gradually diminishes with speed it is two fold, noise in and placement.
You lucked out with the rain coming a day later.
I was just ahead of the rain most of the way home too.

Helmets don't come in too many sizes, it is the inners that are different. With the N-104 they now have 3 shell sizes. The next size up for me would be huge.
Most FF helmets use the cheek pads for sizing. With pads, the next size up from mine was a loose helmet.

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »

That's what I was thinking when I read Duane's report.  I know that my N-104 did fit much snugger (is that a word?) than my Nolan N-103.....but it was still bearable and eventually, it molded to my fit after it was broke in.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »

Pete - I didn't try the neck roll, figured it wouldn't be needed this trip. The worst thing about the discomfort is once it rears it's ugly head you keep thinking about it - kind of like the ear ringing thread some smart-azz had to start ...........

Do you have any issue with the black plastic trim popping out when you put the helmet on?
And that ribbon cable for the comms, I had to do some re-postioning to keep it from popping out.

Phone calls worked well, on both ends it seemed. Having used a Cardo for several years though, Cardo gets the nod on clarity and volume. As far as the perceived volume and music goes, I think it is more an issue of speaker placement over the ear canal.
Since it sounds great at a stop and gradually diminishes with speed it is two fold, noise in and placement.
You lucked out with the rain coming a day later.
I was just ahead of the rain most of the way home too.

Duane,

I had no issues whatsover with installing the BT, everything snapped in place and stayed there.  Got a chance to test the helmet in the rain this past weekend.  Rode through some showers on way home from weekend in Culpeper.  No issues in the rain either, stayed perfectly dry, no fogging and rain drops rolled right off the shield, no complaints.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #222 on: January 20, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »

Brought my helmet to the NYC bike show and talked to the Nolan folks about the issues I have.

Turns out I was talking to the owner of the only US importer of Nolan and my answer was good enough for me to order Deb's helmet.

MV 2013

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »

I really like mine.  No regrets.  Still without BT, I refuse to be interrupted while riding....
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »

I really like mine.  No regrets.  Still without BT, I refuse to be interrupted while riding....

I have no regrets with mine, just some issues. But, those are supposed to be taken care when I send it back for inspection. And Deb's helmet is on the UPS truck for delivery today.
Hers is BT equipped as well.

I don't look at the BT as an interrupter, My goal is to be able to comfortably hear music -  when I want - at highway speeds.

MV 2013

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 20 queries.