Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: New Nolan N-104 review.....  (Read 49070 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: New Nolan N-104 review.....
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »

FRS family radio service. Those inexpensive walkie talkies you find everywhere. There apparently are a few that will intergrate with the n-comm

I understand even less now.  So if we have a pack of say ten bikes and we all want to be paired together, you're saying that we all need to buy this cheap walkie-talkie radio and then we'll be able to communicate via the intercom in our helmets?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »

OK Duane, you know the rules........... :worthless:   I don't have a clue what you're talking about "ribbon connector".

Here ya go!

This picture shows the ribbon coming from the button module on the outside.
The black retainer it is running through supports the inside connector and wiring. It just snaps onto the helmet where you see, it it moves around a little.

And I don't spread my helmet to get it over my noggin........I bought an XL so hopefully it'll fit like my two previous Nolan modular helmets. :nixweiss: 

I have to spread the bottom a bit to get it on.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:32:21 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »

This picture shows the ribbon wrapping around and going into the connector on the inside.

Where you see the ribbon plugged in is where it is dislodging. Not all the way, but enough to break control of the buttons.
The double stick tape is under the ribbon from the outside to just over and past the hump

I am really surprised there is not some type of lock on this connector. All of our marine radios and GPS/LORAN units that use ribbons, have some sort of locking device to hold he cable in. Either a small lever or a wedge.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:15:26 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2012, 02:00:21 AM »

JC....spreading the helmet out a bit helps those who wear glasses all the time put the helmet on without having to remove the glasses and then feed the earpiece back over your ear.  On mine, if you don't spread it just a tad, the cheek pads will try and put the arms on your glasses down and off your ear.  My N-102 was the same way as the new Shark I have, except the Shark pads are much thicker and have a softer foam where the arms of the glasses go into the helmet.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »

JC....spreading the helmet out a bit helps those who wear glasses all the time put the helmet on without having to remove the glasses and then feed the earpiece back over your ear.  On mine, if you don't spread it just a tad, the cheek pads will try and put the arms on your glasses down and off your ear.  My N-102 was the same way as the new Shark I have, except the Shark pads are much thicker and have a softer foam where the arms of the glasses go into the helmet.

Terry - tried once putting the glasses on after - ain't happening unless you have straight temples.

So - I mentioned above about he A2DP protocol and the iPhone.

Must have been the ribbon causing that issue. I tried it again and it really sounds good. I can't wait for a trip now where I will actually be able to hear the music.

Not to sure about the remote protocol yet. When you tap the "pause" control button comb the music indeed stops - in the headset, but continues to play on the phone.

Next step will be to see if it will connect with the Sony in the bike. Wireless would be great, then I have full access from the bars. If not, plan B will be to use the rear speaker output and hard-wire to the helmet. Not the best solution, but certainly a workable work around.

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2012, 08:47:31 AM »

Thanks Duane and Terry....much clearer now.  Duane the "ribbon connector" is what I was suspecting but didn't know that's what they call it and not being on the previous Nolan helmets, wasn't sure.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I'm equally surprised that the ribbon connector doesn't "lock" in to place....that seems really odd.

Terry, wearing glasses is a "yet" for me.  As in.......I don't wear glasses....."YET". :nixweiss:   So right now, for me, it's just one of those things that I'm not aware of because I haven't experienced it.....yet. :huepfenlol2:

Just talking about it Duane, you've got me really anxious to get our helmets.  They're supposed to be here on Mon.   Then, of course, I'll be really anxious to get the B4 bluetooths.  Last week I had to take my current Nolan to a stereo repair shop to have the microphone re-soldered.  That guy is an artist.....pin point precision work, kind of like a pin stripper.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »

Given my work schedule and the forecast - you may be trying yours out before me.............

MV 2013

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »

JC...at this point in your life you may be good to go.  As we grow older, the eye loses some of it's elasticity, which changes the focal point on the retina after light passes through the lens.  Most need at least "reading glasses" at some point in time, but you may be one of the lucky ones.  I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 years old...just for reading when I was a kid in school, but in my early 20's I became dependent on them all the time.  And besides, wire framed glasses added to the whole "hippie" look thing.  Now, the best they can do with my right eye (there's a medical issue that can't be fixed with present technology) is 20/60, but the left is 20/15.  The problem is I used to be right eye dominant, and now am forced to be left eye dominant.  I had to adjust my shooting both with the camera, and with a gun.

I am anxious to hear about the new helmets though, particularly how they act when in the airstream, etc.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »

JC...at this point in your life you may be good to go.  As we grow older, the eye loses some of it's elasticity, which changes the focal point on the retina after light passes through the lens.  Most need at least "reading glasses" at some point in time, but you may be one of the lucky ones.  I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 years old...just for reading when I was a kid in school, but in my early 20's I became dependent on them all the time.  And besides, wire framed glasses added to the whole "hippie" look thing.  Now, the best they can do with my right eye (there's a medical issue that can't be fixed with present technology) is 20/60, but the left is 20/15.  The problem is I used to be right eye dominant, and now am forced to be left eye dominant.  I had to adjust my shooting both with the camera, and with a gun.

I am anxious to hear about the new helmets though, particularly how they act when in the airstream, etc.

I do wear reading glasses....but I try not to read with my helmet on. :huepfenlol2:

Don't worry Terry, for some reason I don't think you'd look quite right without glasses. :2vrolijk_21:  Can't even imagine you without them.

The new helmets in the airstream.....could be totally different for us.....batwing vs. goldwing fairings.  I mean SG fairings. :)

West Coast GTG   

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »

Thank you for the photos!

I am too surprised to see that there is nothing securing the ribbon in place. There is usually a locking/pressing clip....

I suggest you send an email to Nolan with those photos...there has to be a small clip missing.

Other than that, how is the fit and the rest of the features, weight, size?
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »

Rode about 100 miles with the new helmet and I'm pretty happy thus far.  Since this is my first full face, took a little time to adjust but once I got used to it I was liking it more and more.  Excellent visibility, fit is very good and comfortable.  The vents work very well and would probably be better if riding a bike without a windscreen.  Really like the retractable sunshade and the quiet.  Now just waiting on the B4!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2012, 08:09:32 PM »

I am too surprised to see that there is nothing securing the ribbon in place. There is usually a locking/pressing clip....
I suggest you send an email to Nolan with those photos...there has to be a small clip missing.

I discussed this in detail with the tech guy from CIMA, Nolan's USA importer.

He agrees with me and supposedly has made his concerns known.
Last I tried I removed the outside controls and repostioned everything. One thing I found was a piece of plastic from the B4 was keeping the clip from latching completely. I fixed that and now am just waiting for a chance to ride.

There should be a retaine though.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2012, 08:15:17 PM »

So my iPod sounds great in the helmet which was a goal for me.
Unfortunately my Sony DSX-300 connects but will not play music. Phone only.
Surprisingly,  my iPhone will BT to both the helmet and the radio at the same time.

And equally odd is that I can't port music from the radio to helmet, I can listen to the iPhone and change tracks through the handlebar control. I cannot change the volume.

MV 2013

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »

I ordered mine from extreme N104 + NCOM B4 = $679.98

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »

We got our helmets today.

Just trying them on here in the house I notice several improvements over my two previous Nolan Helmets, the most recent being the N-103.

Immediatly, I noticed more room for my chin!  That's a huge plus.  Secondly, I noticed how much smoother all the actions are.....opening and closing the chin bar, the face shield, the sun visor, etc.  Just a lot smoother and more fluid action.

I also notice the spring loaded sun visor......push the button and it retracts completly.

Also, the face shield snaps into the closed position rather than just kind of fall down against the chin bar frame.  So if you need just a small bit of air, just don't snap it down......should allow enough air in to keep from fogging the face shield when starting out on those really cold mornings.

Finally, the air vents.  It opens up kind of like a hood scoop and if you push it back to the second position, it also opens two more vents lower down, just above the eyebrows........and it all vents out the back of the helmet.  I also notice that the liner is kind of webbed so that the air can flow through the helmet and across the top of your head.

Just look to be big improvements over the N-103 and I haven't even rode with it yet!   Can hardly wait for B4 bluetooth to get here. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 26 queries.