Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Best camera for *on the go* picture taking  (Read 6165 times)

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
Re: Best camera for *on the go* picture taking
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »

Hey everybody,

I'm looking for suggestions for the best camera for taking quality pictures while riding. One that can be hung around your neck and available for use at the spur of the moment.

The small camera that I have now takes too long to turn on and has a huge lag from the time of pushing the button to actually taking the picture. No way to captur a picture while riding.

Looking for suggestions with backup info.

Thanks, Rick
Great question Rick have been wondering about what everyone was using while riding. Had thought about a Nikon Coolpix, but the one Don uses takes some good pics...Hmmmm
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:08:46 AM »

Thanks everybody for the excellent suggestions. Now a little more research and make a decision. I saw Dons at MV but didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. It surely takes good pics.

Thanks again,
Rick
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

PASN YU

• Ride Hard
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Mako Shark
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:24:29 AM »

GoPro Hero 2. 11 megapixel camera. 1080p video. Can do 10 shot bursts per second. Waterproof case. You can mount it anywhere.  :2vrolijk_21:
Trust, but verify.

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 03:08:17 AM »

GoPro Hero 2. 11 megapixel camera. 1080p video. Can do 10 shot bursts per second. Waterproof case. You can mount it anywhere.  :2vrolijk_21:

Want to thank you for this particular post in this thread.  Just picked a GoPro Hero 38 days ago and a 2nd a few days later.

When I read your post a few days back I was like 10 shots?  Double take, Hero 2?   :soapbox:

Guess they released it about 2-3 weeks after I bought the 1st cam.  Luckily, I was able to exchange the two today for the new Hero 2s with no extra cost.  Gotta love having a 45 day return policy with no questions asked.

Again, thanks for making me aware of the new cam.  :2vrolijk_21:  Oh, and that 10 shot burst is flipping nuts.
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »

We have a small Canon that is great. Fast recovery and easy to use one handed. Looked at the Nikon ?model, and didn't like the way the flash popped up on top. It would get in the way while taking pics, as the left hand index finger rests there.  Harley makes a magnetized camera case for small cameras. It has magnets in the case and it sits on your gas tank for easy access. One of my great accessories, I love it.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »

With the mirrorless cameras coming out, a lot of stuff is about to change.

Terry,

I ended up getting Anne the Nikon J1 in RED to use on the back of the bike.  I really liked the fast focus with little noticable lag...but of course I was stationary rotating around to test!   :stars:  While ordering, I added a new weapon in my Arsenal, the Nikon 24mm f/1.4G  ... Amazingly fast.  I just need to get better...by accident, I left my D700 in DX mode while using it, Doh!

Also just ordered the FT-1 Adapter so I can put my 70-200 on it!  With the 2.7 Crop, that is a 189-540mm f/2.8 lens!  I can only dream about the Nikon 200 f/2.0 but being a DINK has it's advantages so maube someday!

Also, have you seen this: XUME.  Makes putting my ND and Polarizer filters on and off a breeze.  Pretty strong magnets...but would NOT trust it riding of course.  I have broken a "protection" filter when I was in hawaii last Feb. so I do like using them in certain instances.  This allows me to take them off right quick.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:48:36 PM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »

Using a Nikon D5000....

While it isnt a "point and shoot" camera.. it can do rapid fire.. a nice feature to have for the BSR.

I do note that it is better not using the lens view feature when on the fly.

Very good DSLR but it is heavy and bulky.. the D90 seems to work well for a friend who does a lot of BSR taken pics in the group....  following the link in my sig will take you there.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

PierceEye

• Living The Life In Florida
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8-ANV
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »

Want to thank you for this particular post in this thread.  Just picked a GoPro Hero 38 days ago and a 2nd a few days later.

When I read your post a few days back I was like 10 shots?  Double take, Hero 2?   :soapbox:

Guess they released it about 2-3 weeks after I bought the 1st cam.  Luckily, I was able to exchange the two today for the new Hero 2s with no extra cost.  Gotta love having a 45 day return policy with no questions asked.

Again, thanks for making me aware of the new cam.  :2vrolijk_21:  Oh, and that 10 shot burst is flipping nuts.

I am seriously thinking about buying one of these......does anyone have any video of one on a ride?
FLHTCUSE8-Anv w/ Vance & Hines true dual Ovals
88.85hp & 109.33tq tuned with the SE Pro Super Tuner

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »

I am seriously thinking about buying one of these......does anyone have any video of one on a ride?

There are several posted.  Do a search on this forum "go pro, gopro, etc."  There's a lot of gopro videos on the Pashnit forum.

Since I don't have a BSR, all my pictures were taken with the Nikon D-60.....the best camera out there for the FSR (Front Seat Rider)  :huepfenlol2:

The most recent (but it'll change this weekend)....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=69501.0 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:42:35 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »

Terry,

I ended up getting Anne the Nikon J1 in RED to use on the back of the bike.  I really liked the fast focus with little noticable lag...but of course I was stationary rotating around to test!   :stars:  While ordering, I added a new weapon in my Arsenal, the Nikon 24mm f/1.4G  ... Amazingly fast.  I just need to get better...by accident, I left my D700 in DX mode while using it, Doh!

Also just ordered the FT-1 Adapter so I can put my 70-200 on it!  With the 2.7 Crop, that is a 189-540mm f/2.8 lens!  I can only dream about the Nikon 200 f/2.0 but being a DINK has it's advantages so maube someday!

Also, have you seen this: XUME.  Makes putting my ND and Polarizer filters on and off a breeze.  Pretty strong magnets...but would NOT trust it riding of course.  I have broken a "protection" filter when I was in hawaii last Feb. so I do like using them in certain instances.  This allows me to take them off right quick.

Bill

24 1.4...Geez, I can only dream!!  From all reviews, that is a fantastic lens.  Great lens for a FX camera though.  The new format is very interesting though, and from your report, sounds even more interesting.  Me...I'm still using the G10 and my old trusty D300.  Waiting for the D400 or the D400s (inevitable).  My "serious" stuff is still on a tripod.  I've added a bunch of new Galleries:  www.terrycrain.imagekind.com   Not all are great, but some of them blow some people's skirt up.   :huepfenlol2:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »

I can't find the upwardly blown skirts..............

iPhone using Tapatalk
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »

iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry...my photos are family friendly... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »

iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick.....they're still hanging on the clothes line! ;D
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »

Lots of good info here. I like Canon having several of them from pocket size to interchangeable lense bodys. Look for a camera that will take several photos in rapid succession when you hold down the shoot button. Also you need the feature that auto adjusts for any camera motion. I can't hold a camera still so I shoot 3-4 times in rapid succession. At least one of those pictures comes out clearly focused even when the camera is in motion. Nothing worse than a great photo that comes out blurry and not crisp. I use the sport action setting on everything for that reason.

jb

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »

24 1.4...Geez, I can only dream!!  From all reviews, that is a fantastic lens.  Great lens for a FX camera though.  The new format is very interesting though, and from your report, sounds even more interesting.  Me...I'm still using the G10 and my old trusty D300.  Waiting for the D400 or the D400s (inevitable).  My "serious" stuff is still on a tripod.  I've added a bunch of new Galleries:  www.terrycrain.imagekind.com   Not all are great, but some of them blow some people's skirt up.   :huepfenlol2:

Yeah, B&H loves me...that $50 gift card i got for Christmas does not go far...we'll see if I can spend it  ::) when I stop in on Sunday after going to the NY MC Show at the Javits Center on Saturday in a few weeks.

BTW, beatuiful stuff on your site!

Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 20 queries.