Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Battery of Choice  (Read 4846 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Battery of Choice
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 08:35:30 PM »

Odyssey Batteries work for me. The only glitch is they recommend their charger which is $100+.  They say a regular charger will not work if you let the battery go below 10V. Someone has to explain that to me sometime.  Doc

That's a lot like how Harley highly recommends you only use their replacement parts.  I'm sure the Odyssey folks have made a ton of money selling those $100 and up "special" battery chargers, but their claim is pretty misleading.  Under normal conditions your regular Battery Tender is more than sufficient.  If the battery voltage is allowed to drop well below the normal operating range, it's no different than other AGM/maintenance free batteries.  It takes a different charging technique to get the charging process started than it did for the old style batteries, but it doesn't take a special charger to do so.  Basically it takes a short period of higher current charging to fire off the chemical process, so your Battery Tender may not ever be able to charge a seriously discharged battery (same is true for the Harley AGM).  So you just haul out your automotive charger to apply the higher amperage initial charge rate.  As best I can tell, the Odyssey folks just put it all into one charger.  If you already have a Battery Tender and a 10 to 30 amp automotive charger in the garage, you don't need theirs.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »

Thanks Jerry, I knew someone here would know what the deal with these AGM's was. I heard another technique is to hook the AGM to a fully charged automotive battery with charger and it would charge the AGM. I bought the Odyssey charger and use it for my other toys also.  Doc

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 09:58:15 PM »

Read all the post and appreciate the comments.  I was going to buy an aftermarket battery but the dealership told me mine was fully covered under my warranty-to my surprise.  Therefore I have the HD OEM batt (a new one) on the Tequila Sunrise.  When that one craps I'll look in another direction like I'm doing with more and more parts for my bikes.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 02:23:44 AM »

That's a lot like how Harley highly recommends you only use their replacement parts.  I'm sure the Odyssey folks have made a ton of money selling those $100 and up "special" battery chargers, but their claim is pretty misleading.  Under normal conditions your regular Battery Tender is more than sufficient.  If the battery voltage is allowed to drop well below the normal operating range, it's no different than other AGM/maintenance free batteries.  It takes a different charging technique to get the charging process started than it did for the old style batteries, but it doesn't take a special charger to do so.  Basically it takes a short period of higher current charging to fire off the chemical process, so your Battery Tender may not ever be able to charge a seriously discharged battery (same is true for the Harley AGM).  So you just haul out your automotive charger to apply the higher amperage initial charge rate.  As best I can tell, the Odyssey folks just put it all into one charger.  If you already have a Battery Tender and a 10 to 30 amp automotive charger in the garage, you don't need theirs.

Jerry

Schumacher makes a digital charger that does all of that.... never used it for the bikes, but I use it for the cars.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »

You'll want the Deka # ETX30L.  Here's the eBay link to the offering selling for $95 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280776802998

New info gathered from my purchase of a DEKA ETX30L today. The distributer here in the Phoenix, AZ area handed me the NEW Limited Battery Warranty sheet. He said the change is due to an action against Interstate regarding ProRated Warranty. The NEW REPLACEMENT warranty for the DEKA ETX30L is only 6 months free. Period! No extended anymore. Just like the price of the battery, everything has gone up. If you are needing and are seeing $95.00 free shipping online, GRAB IT! :soapbox:
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 24 queries.