Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: HOG MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS SHRINKING EVERY YEAR  (Read 8558 times)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: HOG MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS SHRINKING EVERY YEAR
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »

Jerry.. just pointing out that one must ba a national HOG to join a local chapter.. not the other way around... expiration of national also cancels local membership.

Like I said.. youre talking about a social goup..  and not everyone gets along in a social group for whatever reason

If they stay true to the "ride and have fun" mantra.. it can be... but some of us have different views of what fun is.

You're correct.  But you don't have to join a local HOG if you don't want to.

I also agree that the social and shopping components of a local ride turn me off completely. That's like the "I just need to stop and get gas" statement when everybody is ready to go. 

So like you I prefer to ride alone or with very few friends where we all know how each other ride and are ready to go when we meet up.

Regards

Jerry

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »

I think the life membership is part of what hurts them revenue-wise... once a lifer pays the life fee, revenue from that member stops.... unlike the newbies that pay for the first 3 or so years.. but at some point there will simply be too many disgruntled HOGs that wont re-up for another year.

There are a couple of perks for being a State Rally Staff member.... not a whole lot... but some.

For me its more about the folks we meet and friendships we build upon.

Count me as one of those. I dropped my membership last year. I see absolutely no value any longer as the magazine seems like nothing more than one large advertisement that I pay a subscription fee to recieve. It was time to move on for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:39:51 AM by Heatwave »

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 01:55:25 AM »

You're correct.  But you don't have to join a local HOG if you don't want to.

I also agree that the social and shopping components of a local ride turn me off completely. That's like the "I just need to stop and get gas" statement when everybody is ready to go. 

So like you I prefer to ride alone or with very few friends where we all know how each other ride and are ready to go when we meet up.

Regards

Jerry

That hit the nail on the head..... Got a couple of friends that are chapter members... but if we get an invite from friends that just want to ride (and eat somewhere with good food)The phone rings with a date time and destination and we're there....

Just because you belong to a chapter does not mean you need to ride with them every weekend...

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 07:14:29 AM »

I really enjoy our local chapter.  My wife has been Secretary one year and Treasure two years.  We have both been road captains.

Most people I ride with are Chapter members, however most our rides together are not chapter rides.

We do lots of meet and rides with the chapter, often times it breaks into two or three groups depending on riding style.

I enjoy the chapter meetings, the monthly dinner ride and such, I know most those are social events, not real riding events.  Chapter rides are rarely 100 plus miles. 

Yet many of the rides I do with chapter members are a 250 miles ride, or more.

When I want to ride, I ride with members who want to ride.  When I want to socialize, I do chapter rides. :)
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »

We are fortunate to have a great local HOG chapter and a great dealer who pretty much let's us manage it and gives us great support.  My wife and I have held numerous positions over the past 12 years and have both served as chapter director (today is her last day as director for 2011).  We have met many great folks and formed lasting friendships over the years due to our shared enthusiasm for riding and having fun.

Some events are short rides and social - an excuse to get together and eat (of course).  But we also have numerous long rides - many 300 plus miles and several overnighters (or even three day events) each year.  I am planning a posse ride for next May for our chapter to ride the entire Natchez Trace Parkway - a Thur, Fri, Sat event returning home on Sun.

So like anything else in this life it is what you make it.  I understand and respect that some folks don't want or have the time to get involved in chapter leadership/planning functions and that is fine.  It is nice when a group of good folks do have that desire and time.  It makes it really nice for all.  :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »

I see little to no value being a member. Every three years I buy a new bike and get a year free. That is about what it's worth.
Bill

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »

Muddypaws, Man that seems pretty steep! Buying a new bike every three years just so you can get a free HOG membership. That's hardcore!  :pepper:
Jesus is Lord

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:31 AM »

When they hit 50,000 miles I get a new one.
Bill

chromeaphobe

• Chrome Aphobe
  • Ride and Have Fun

• CVO1: 2011 Ultra Classic Road Glide - Grey and Black
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited - Red
    • My site
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »

I think (and could be very short sighted) that HOG suffers from membership retention. Many members do not renew because some chapters have become a charitable social club rather than a group that rides their Harleys. As an active member of a chapter and in this economy we need to get back to basics.  I remember the days when there were no charities, we rode to dinner, ice cream, over night trips, etc.  Now it seems we support various charities like MDA, food drives, homeless, etc. more than riding.

Perhaps if we stopped reaching into everyone's pocket the membership would grown again.  IMO

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2012, 06:18:45 AM »

Our chapter limits it to Two Charities we support.

I think the Stuff we do for the charities is one of the good things.  Figure if your fortunate enough to be able to afford a Harley, then helping some one with a disability or handicap, or a child at Christmas is the least we can do.  I notice most members, not all in our chapter have a bike that is five years old or less, Many have two bikes, some have CVO's.

We did limit to two so it was for those that need it due to no fault of their own.  Also so the chapter is not in your pocket all the time.  But also so the two we picked we could give full support.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »

I just got my package and threw most of it away right off. I just don't see much for me there. I do read the magazine and that;s about it for me. We quit doing the Best Western thing when I found out I could get better discounts with the AARP card at better motels.  The Maps suck but it is nice to see where all the dealers are.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »

lets think positive:

What would be on your wishlist for HOG membership benefits?

In Germany there would be very few things as our Automobilists Club ADAC already covers almost all needs for any vehicle you may be driving be it national or abroad for really small money. They will bring you or any member of your family home in case of an accident or failure, pay any doctors expenses and so on worldwide -  for just some 75 $/year.

H-D Road Assistance is just a joke compaired to this. I remember very well when I had a battery failure 2002 at a saturday evening and Road Assistance told me the next dealer would be just some 30 m away - but be opended next monday. 30 Minutes later ADAC was there and supplied power to start the bike, 1 hour later a fresh - non OEM but fitting - battery was delivered by ADAC.

As I have the ADAC coverage anyway for our cars and they do cover any bike for no additional fee I don't see any benefit from a HOG membership as far as road assistance is concerned.

ADAC, Amex, German Lawyers Associaton and so on offer more bonuses for quarters or other services as I may ever may need - no reason to wait for HOG's Best Western quarters I would not seriously consider anyway.

The only really appreciated benefit I could imagine would be a 24 hours parts delivery and dealer service - 7 days a week and worldwide of course.

But I suppose I'm dreaming - Mercedes-Benz does such things, Harley probably never will ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.