Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Saddle Bag Thefts...  (Read 14671 times)

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
Re: Saddle Bag Thefts...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »

Don't forget to use tamper proof torx bolts like the Brukus kit does......

I could but, if I did leave the bags unlocked ( NOT ) a small pair of Vise grips could get a hold of those bolts regardless if they are standard or tamper proof... I do believe...  :nixweiss: 

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »

I could but, if I did leave the bags unlocked ( NOT ) a small pair of Vise grips could get a hold of those bolts regardless if they are standard or tamper proof... I do believe...  :nixweiss: 

If the bolts don't stick out too far from the clips, they will be very hard to grab with a vise grips.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »

It is very difficult to grab the head of a button head type bolt with a pair of vice grips, and even if you could, it would take some time to get the bolts off.  Thieves are generally not going to fool with things that take too long to steal.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

If the bolts don't stick out too far from the clips, they will be very hard to grab with a vise grips.

I think the only difference between the bolts is the pin in the center of the Torx hole right, and I have small Vise grips that I know I can get a hold of those bolts if i had to ( like a thief ).

Just always trying to save a buck or two and it is always rewarding when I see how much I can save. 

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 02:02:37 PM »

It is very difficult to grab the head of a button head type bolt with a pair of vice grips, and even if you could, it would take some time to get the bolts off.  Thieves are generally not going to fool with things that take too long to steal.

This is why my bags would always be locked!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »

I think the only difference between the bolts is the pin in the center of the Torx hole right, and I have small Vise grips that I know I can get a hold of those bolts if i had to ( like a thief ).

Just always trying to save a buck or two and it is always rewarding when I see how much I can save. 

The only difference with the tamper proof is the button on the center of the head...but that would be inside the bag. What I was describing would be trying to grab the other end of the bolt that is threaded into the clip outside on the back of the bag. If you could that, it would take some time to get the bolt out.

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »

The only difference with the tamper proof is the button on the center of the head...but that would be inside the bag. What I was describing would be trying to grab the other end of the bolt that is threaded into the clip outside on the back of the bag. If you could that, it would take some time to get the bolt out.

I agree, just have to make sure they are the correct length! 

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »

I'm not sure about how many "bikers" actually punched people in the face in the past, or how many are doing it now.  Unless you stay out in the parking lot with your bike, you can't possibly keep an eye on it 100% of the time.  I always attempt to keep my bike in view when in a place to eat, and try to stay in motels that either have secure parking, will allow me to park the bike in view of the front desk, or outside my motel room door.  But that can't always happen.  It only takes a minute for someone to steal something like bags, and less than that to just do damage to your bike for the hell of it.  These people who are stealing bags are not just your average person deciding to mess with bikes...they are thieves intent on a specific purpose, and have a market for their goods.  Walking up to one of them to punch them in the face is likely to get a gun pulled in your face.  Even if they are unarmed, and you are armed, shooting someone in defense of your motorcycle is likely to land you in jail, and getting into a gunfight in a parking lot over saddlebags, or someone sitting on your bike without permission, is probably not a real good idea either.

I think that was a fly by.

The thought was that when there were less bikers and most people hated us and many feared us that people were less likely to mess with a bike for fear of getting killed. Its all just an extension of whats happening with the "I don't desipline my kid" generation. No respect, fear or compasion for anybody else. Just give  me what I think I deserve and I'll take the rest.  :soapbox: Sorry rant!!!!! Sorry I hijacked the thread! I Digress!

2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »

I purchased the brukus kit and feel its a cheap piece of mind. Made my mind up when one of the forum members lost a  doing 60mph! That was a $1200 saddle bag.

X2 :2vrolijk_21:

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »

Walking up to one of them to punch them in the face is likely to get a gun pulled in your face.  Even if they are unarmed, and you are armed, shooting someone in defense of your motorcycle is likely to land you in jail, and getting into a gunfight in a parking lot over saddlebags, or someone sitting on your bike without permission, is probably not a real good idea either.

I don't know, . . . I kinda like the punch'em in the face idea.
Jesus is Lord

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »

Walking up to one of them to punch them in the face is likely to get a gun pulled in your face.  Even if they are unarmed, and you are armed, shooting someone in defense of your motorcycle is likely to land you in jail, and getting into a gunfight in a parking lot over saddlebags, or someone sitting on your bike without permission, is probably not a real good idea either.

I don't know, . . . I kinda like the punch'em in the face idea.

Upside the head with a 2X4 would be better, but that would go over like a Baby Ruth in the Punchbowl too...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • Brukus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »

Just received this email yesterday from a customer in AZ - so it's not just in California.

"Today I went on a ride with some friends,we stoped to have lunch and were inside for a while when this guy comes in and tells the manager that someone was messing with our bikes. he came over and told us needless to say there was a stamped out the door. There they are two guys and one in a truck taking the bags off our bikes. they got four sets off plus trying to get mine off but they would not come off. Brukus you did it again saved my bags only had locks on for a week yes they do work thanks, all the other bags we got back with some damage and the goof balls are now in jail we hit them so hard and fast they were thinking what the hell was going on, nothing like show and tell. You should be getting some new orders soon. thanks again for such a good product."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:18:42 PM by Brukus »
The Big Brukus   ~   Big + Ruckus = Brukus
Navy Vet

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »

and the goof balls are now in jail we hit them so hard and fast they were thinking what the hell was going on, nothing like show and tell.

I appreciate what you guys did to help those poor fellas understand what is involved if they get caught stealing. Good job.  My hat's off to you!
Jesus is Lord

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • Brukus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 10:59:13 PM »

and the goof balls are now in jail we hit them so hard and fast they were thinking what the hell was going on, nothing like show and tell.

I appreciate what you guys did to help those poor fellas understand what is involved if they get caught stealing. Good job.  My hat's off to you!

LOL! Exactly! I'll pass your appreciation on to our customer.
The Big Brukus   ~   Big + Ruckus = Brukus
Navy Vet

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 09:17:12 AM »

IMHO, based on the ageold "fear " of Harley bikers, anyone that may be witnessing a bag theft will be intimidated to ask "is this your bike?"  We are constantly going out to get stuff out of bags.  I've never been questioned by anyone or even another biker.  I guess if your using tools it might look more suspicious.  Heck nobody questioned me at a rally trying to get a guys disc lock off when he mangled it trying to drive away.
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.