Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide  (Read 45267 times)

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:15:36 PM »

Taking delivery of a 2012 SG this weekend and going to trailer it home on a 3 hour journey.

I plan on tying the front end down using the crash bars and not sure on the rear end, anybody trailered there street glide got some tips?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:22:02 PM by Aussie »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Trailer tie down points for 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »

Loop your tie down in through the frame below the engine guard and then up and out over the top of the engine guard. Cinch down about 1/2 of the front fork travel. For the rear you can loop a soft tie around the rear wheel to keep the rear down and or use the rear foot pegs mounts.

DO NOT USE THE HANDLEBARS for tie down points. They are prone to break.

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
Re: Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »

I use wheel dock, tie off handle bars, engine guards (which flex, not particularly strong or stable). In rear I use I bolt off the rear passenger foot pegs mounting hole which are removed on my bike. Also frame in front of tank is excellent place. Handle bars for stability but don't torque too much.
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »

I simply use 2 soft HD hog ties to the front forks just above where the fender is attached. I then use 2 pull straps around the rear tire. One goes to the left and one to the right frame of the trailer. The rear ties are just there to keep the rear tire from bouncing left and right. I've gone many miles tied like this. Bike's front tire has to be resting tightly in a wheel chock to be secure with this approach.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:05:02 AM »

Trailered my ultra in the same trailer 12 years ago but don't remember what I did to the rear end as I had a heap of furniture in the trailer at the time moving interstate.

Front tyre will be in chock and tie downs using engine bars the same way HD tie bikes down on shipping crate base, having front forks pulled down approx 2 inches to hold into place.
Then having rear secured into place using either rear foot pegs or chrome support bar in front of saddle bag. Only not sure on how strong this support bar is.
However I don't think a lot of torque would be required on the rear tie down like the front needs, plan is to tension tie down until rear suspension just starts to take load.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:01:32 AM »

I tow quite often (we do camping trips and take the bikes for day rides). For the front i do the same as HD-Dude, run a set of soft ties over the top of the engine guard, down through the frame. This keeps the tie downs close to the frame so the engine guard isn't stressed. In the rear I tie to the front part of the saddle bag supports. The bike is extremely stable!! I tow mine in the back of a 37' 5th wheel, can't see it, don't know what it is doing as I bounce down these crappy California highways, but it has never moved.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 04:54:06 AM »

If you use the rear passenger peg mounts and you have a long trip, check them often, if they're not good heavy duty straps, they will wear on the edges of the support.

I prefer to tie down the back wheel.  For the front, either a wheel chock bolted down, or soft straps around the frame near the crash bar.

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »

get a wheel dock.com

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »

I tow quite often (we do camping trips and take the bikes for day rides). For the front i do the same as HD-Dude, run a set of soft ties over the top of the engine guard, down through the frame. This keeps the tie downs close to the frame so the engine guard isn't stressed. In the rear I tie to the front part of the saddle bag supports. The bike is extremely stable!! I tow mine in the back of a 37' 5th wheel, can't see it, don't know what it is doing as I bounce down these crappy California highways, but it has never moved.
Got a link to hd dude so I can check it out.
Cheers

kravnut

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »

I simply use 2 soft HD hog ties to the front forks just above where the fender is attached. I then use 2 pull straps around the rear tire. One goes to the left and one to the right frame of the trailer. The rear ties are just there to keep the rear tire from bouncing left and right. I've gone many miles tied like this. Bike's front tire has to be resting tightly in a wheel chock to be secure with this approach.

X2
Keith

2012 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide
4" Rinehart Slip-ons
Kuryakyn Quick Adjust Tour-Pak Relocator

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »

kuryakin makes these tiedown points that bolt to the fork. simply place the hook on your strap thru the crook in the leg and cinch it down to the tension you desire. they don't look all that bad either

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »

kuryakin makes these tiedown points that bolt to the fork. simply place the hook on your strap thru the crook in the leg and cinch it down to the tension you desire. they don't look all that bad either
I have thought of getting them....I think I will now that i have heard of a satisfied owner.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »

I have thought of getting them....I think I will now that i have heard of a satisfied owner.

Harley offered these in the new catalogue for the front. A little pricey but definitely cheaper than some repair paint work.

Also, see if the dealer has any of the small rear wheel tie downs. I have a few that I use on occasion.

Regards

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:43:10 PM by CVOStreetglide »

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »

I just put these on my SESG. They fit snug under the turn signals, so they dont jump out as you look at the bike, and come with new hardware.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4136/Tie-Down-Brackets
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »

I would like to see a photo of this.... It doesn't rub any painted areas???
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.