Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Audio Redux Done ... RF300/4 (x2) ... 8 channels ... damn impressive  (Read 14388 times)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Audio Redux Done ... RF300/4 (x2) ... 8 channels ... damn impressive
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

I'm sure you will have one heck of a kick a$$ system when it's all done.  Looks great!  lots of stuff to make room for. I really like it. Trying to make room for all the equipment is a huge talent.  :2vrolijk_21:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »

WOW!  Great job and post.

JW

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »

Great job Rich...that inner fairing wiring looks better than mine did straight from Harley.....

I will leave tomorrow and head over your way with some Pappy van Winkle so you can do my install :huepfenlol2:

Mike

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »

All I can say is WOW! Very impressive. And you would acquire all of the necessary parts and install them on someone else's bike for how much?

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »

All I can say is WOW! Very impressive. And you would acquire all of the necessary parts and install them on someone else's bike for how much?

As the old saying goes -

"if ya gotta ask  .... "  ;)

I've got quite a bit tied up in the speakers ... dunno how much I've got in the entire system.
Gotta say ... I'm now a HUGE fan of Hybrid Audio speakers ... some of the best I have heard (including Focal Utopia's).
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 11:47:25 AM »

Love the detail and how tight/tidy is the installation.  That is a very very impressive installation.  Congratulations on a beautiful job very well done.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 02:12:55 PM »

Way to go Rich.......good job. :bananarock:

rrussow

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »

Nice work TIF2, I am updating my sound system as well.  Complete J&M Rokker system, can't wait.  Wish I had the time/skill to do it myself and save a couple bucks.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »

Rich's (TIF2's) posts in this thread are ground-breaking--noone else  (on the Harley forums that I regularly participate on) has mounted two RF PBR300X4 amps on top of the HK head unit (yielding 8 channels and 700+W of audio power through eight channels)--and mounted XM and Ipod modules on this '11 CVO SG or other Harley model.  Imagine, fairing speakers, fairing lowers speakers, HD saddlebag lid speakers and Tour Pak pod speaker--all driven by 75+ watts of audio power.  And Rich did it all by himself--props to Rich.

In addition to the "break throughs" by Rich  to mount two of these amps on top of the HK radio, add to the list:  (1) modifying the commercially available 6.5" fairing speaker adapters to the 7.1" HAT fairing speakers; (2) modifying the CDT tour pak pod speakers to accept a "braxial arm" to mount the tweeters; (3) removing the tweeter bridges from the HD saddlebag lid speakers to adapt them to the JL 5x7 speakers and tweeters; (4) installing the aftermarket tweeters in HD 2.5" cups to create a "factory look"; and, (5) wiring everything to look "factory."

Better, Rich is very generous in sharing his information on his install specifically, and audio knowledge generally, since he and I have been engaged in very similar projects as my project to install two of the RF 300X4 amps on top of the HK head unit to drive the previously installed 6.5" fairing and fairing lower speakers, and newly added 6x8" speakers to HD's saddlebag lids, and 6.5" speakers to tour pak speaker pods and is about a month behind Rich's project.

In my case, being able to drive 8 separate 6.5" or larger speakers w/o sacrificing tour pak or saddlebag space to install amps is a big plus; and to ride w/o the tour pak and still have the fairing, fairing lowers, and saddlebag lid speakers is another plus.

Thanks to Rich for blazing the trail.

Carl

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »

Great job Rich...that inner fairing wiring looks better than mine did straight from Harley.....
I will leave tomorrow and head over your way with some Pappy van Winkle so you can do my install :huepfenlol2:

Mike

That bottle will get you through tear-down ... install and build-up may need to be "negotiated" (lol)
The inner fairing floats right on. Had a minor clearance issue initially with the depth of the Legatia drivers, but it was an easy fix. I'm going through final tweaking now - and with every nuance of adjustment it just keeps getting more and more unbelievable with sound quality. The ability to adjust gains for each set of speakers (lids, fairing, pods, lowers) individually realy makes the effort to get it in worthwhile!

When you come over for the install, I'll pull the fairing - after a few discussions with Pappy - maybe you both can enlighten me on how to get an Audison "Bit One" in the fairing.  ;)

If you and Pappy can figure it out ... I'll have crimper in hand!
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »

Rich's (TIF2's) posts in this thread are ground-breaking-- ....

Well ... I don't know about all that, but I certainly appreciate the comment. It is a FANTASTIC sounding setup - it really does defy belief that it is a motorcyce! If I could figure out a way to instruct others on a "how to" I would. Unfortunatley, there is simply too much risk involved for ruining drivers to get these exact speakers mounted (for now anyway ... hint - hint). If you ARE industrious enough to attempt, glad to help if I can ... just PM me.

Better, Rich is very generous in sharing his information on his install specifically, and audio knowledge generally, since he and I have been engaged in very similar projects  .....  and is about a month behind Rich's project.

It's been my distinct pleasure to work with you on this Carl. You are a treasured asset to the HD forums you visit and the fact that I was able to help ... well ... consider it my way of pay-back for all you have done for others.

Rock On! - but of course, do it very, VERY, well.  :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:31:36 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:02 PM »

do you have the cb module in there somewhere? is the xm through the gps or is it a harley xm somewhere hidden in there? usually its OBVIOUS where stuff has been added but the wiring is so neat and clean that its just invisible.

did you remove all the stock audio wiring from the entire bike harness and then put it all in new to suit?

what wire did you use and from where?

just plain cool - i never use the speakers on my bike just the intercom unit but i really appreciate a really good wiring job.

to

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »

do you have the cb module in there somewhere? is the xm through the gps or is it a harley xm somewhere hidden in there? usually its OBVIOUS where stuff has been added but the wiring is so neat and clean that its just invisible.

I don't have the CB module installed (athough I could add the wiring easily). I thought about this a lot while I was wiring everything up and decided that I would never use it. I'm just not one to use a CB while on the bike. Both the H-D XM module and the H-D iPod module are mounted on a bracket that fits below the radio. It is a VERY slick setup that will probably be in production soon. I wanted to use the Road Tech 665 XM capability but decided it was worth the purchase of the Harley XM module for my install.

did you remove all the stock audio wiring from the entire bike harness and then put it all in new to suit?

Well ... kind of.
The SESG2/3 platform is unique in the factory wiring so I removed all of the stock wiring unique to the SESG2/3 audio setup and started from scratch for audio. Removing the stock setup was easy (I was familiar) ... designing a new system based on installing the 2 RF amps was challenging in that the wiring had to be planned out in advance. This was, of course, after the "proof of concept" was completed that the 2 RF amps could physically fit (and the outer fairing could go on).

I used a combination of H-D wiring and a 9-wire bundle from Streetwires. I went through about 75ft of the bundle from "Streetwires" mostly to keep the color-codes in tact. I stripped the Streetwires bundle down to individual wires prior to install. Remember - when wiring up component speakers, it requires 3x the number of wires (per speaker) of a "regular" coax speaker.

I appreciate the fact that you use phones on the road ... I've tried it ... just didn't care for it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:10:23 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 02:18:39 AM »

Well that's an install you should be proud of. Very nice work.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »

just plain cool - i never use the speakers on my bike just the intercom unit but i really appreciate a really good wiring job.

to

An absolutely immaculate wiring job, especially considering Rich removed and redid all of the factory audio wiring, as well as adding significantly more wiring for additional amp and four rear component speakers in the lids and tour pak.

I'm doing a very similar project as Rich (two RF 4-channel amps on top of the HK radio; mounting the CB module and Ipod module below the radio; installing HD saddlebag speaker lids w/ aftermarket speakers; and, speaker pods on a detachable Ultra tour pak), and in doing so he's become a friend after many, many phone conversations over the past 6 months (has it really been that long?).  As neat as I think my wiring is, it's "sloppy" compared to what Rich has accomplished.

Also, he custom fabricated the tweeter mounts for the tour pak and saddlebag lid speakers; modified the JL saddlebag speakers to fit; modified the shape of the saddlebag speaker lid opening to provide a better seal using JB Stik; and, etc.

A great feature of what Rich has done is that he has 8 separately powered audio channels providing 75+W of power w/o sacrificing significant storage space.  In my project, since I'm using coax speakers, the only storage space I lose is the modest space used by the speakers in the lids.  Rich, using components, has the crossovers to deal with in the lids and tour pak.  But considering the audio quality and power, the installation of the crossovers is a modest trade off for Rich.

Again, props to Rich for an outstanding, and ground-breaking project.

Carl
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.