Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: '12 SEUC Making primary noises when clutch is out  (Read 4894 times)

mlbraptor

• Full CVO Member
Re: '12 SEUC Making primary noises when clutch is out
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »

Mine does the same thing..

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 12:21:37 AM »

Mine too,,,   Nice and quiet wth the clutch engaged,, Then it gets noisey when I let it out, while stopped..Gonna have the dealer have a whack at it..  If I am lucky it will go away soon.,..  Only have 800 mils so far..  But that never happens :nixweiss:

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »

mines pretty noisey when hot. is this what they call neutral rattle? theres a service bulletin m1304. havnt read it yet though

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »

Here it is.  I have it on my '11 SEURG.  Haven't experienced it yet on the '12 SESG3

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Rickasha

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »

Well it seems the MoCo has issued Service Bulletin M-1304 dated August 31, 2011. They call it "Big Twin Neutral Rattle", caused by necessary backlash within the first gear pair. Backlash is a combination of gear tooth pitch,relative location of the support bearings to each other, along with many other factors. Dealers are encouraged to share this info with customers who have reported the problem, and advise them that it is normal.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »

As for the noise being normal, once again we are dealing with the MoCo calling stuff "normal" just because the parts fit within their looser and looser tolerances.  If it was truly normal, they should all exhibit the same noise.  They don't.  The question really should be, is the noise "acceptable" to consumers?  Companies that actually give a chit about customer's would determine from all the complaints that this isn't acceptable and attempt to improve the situation.  Harley, however, just trots out the ubiquitous "it's normal" statement and expects the customer's to live with it.  Perhaps a good set of isolating ear plugs should be standard equipment with the purchase of a late model Harley.

In all seriousness, some of the stuff folks complain about in terms of noises really isn't worth worrying about, even though Harley could fix them if they really cared to do so.  The trick, in my opinion, is in getting them to honestly evaluate each situation to determine if it's truly OK, versus the dealers just blowing everyone off because Harley puts out all these "normal" bulletins.  There have been a lot of situations where dealers have told people their complaint was baseless and the situation was "normal", only to be proved wrong when it failed completely once the warranty had expired or when they were out on a trip somewhere.  When a company is always playing the "normal" card to avoid fixing stuff, it is a little difficult to keep believing them.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »

I realize this is for a different problem , but would the proceedure below adjust the chain to the correct tension..

Here's a trick to reduce the constant engine noise that sounds like valve train noises on the newer 96 Cu In. bikes that have the auto adjusting primary chain tensioners and no inspection port.
I tried this on my RKC and can notice a definite improvement. The problem seems to be coming from the primary chain and not really the valve train at all.

Here's what you do. Accelerate from a stop in first gear rather hard to about 30 MPH and then brake rather hard using only the rear brake without locking up the wheel and don't pull in the clutch until the bike slows enough.
Do this 2-3 times in succession and you'll notice that the noise that you thought was the valve train is almost completely gone now. Low speed riding is a bit smoother also due to less play in the chain.

By doing this, the automatic primary chain will ratchet up a bit tighter if it was loose before this. The acceleration and braking causes slack in the lower strand of the chain and will ratchet it up tighter if it needed an adjustment.

If it wasn't loose there will be no noted difference.
That is most likely the noise that was heard and not the valve train at all.

Sounds strange but try it!

I got this from another forum but did give it a try and worked for me.

Be careful with this.  If you get the chain to whip hard enough, you can get the adjuster to tighten up a click too much which results in wear of shoe and sometimes bearing.  If it whines when hot, it over adjusted.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

mlbraptor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »

Mine was doing it also. Just had the 1000 mile service done and it's not doing it anymore.  I hope it stays that way.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »

One thing I notice the OP stated is that "when the clutch is engaged the noise goes away". With that said your noise would be coming from the transmission or clutch basket area. I had the same thing on my 2011 103 RG and after bitching at the dealer they opened up the transmission to find the hard surface of a bearing race going out. Along the way of bitching and taking the bike back to them I also noticed it was getting harder and harder to get the bike in neutral on mine. Once fixed everything has been fine but haven't driven it as much since then either.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 05:59:52 PM »

I am approaching 1000 miles and I don't seem to notice it ant longer.  Maybe it went away by itself or I am just getting used to hearing it.   I'll check next time out.  :P

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 10:38:29 PM »

I am approaching 1000 miles and I don't seem to notice it ant longer.  Maybe it went away by itself or I am just getting used to hearing it.   I'll check next time out.  :P

So CVOstu where are you with the noise now. Just brought home a 12 cvo street glide and it has the same noise. After my past experiences with the cvo road king I am very concerned.
Thanks
RETIRED! :fireman:

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 11:23:09 PM »

It's still a bit noisy.   I haven't had the 1000 mile service yet.   Bike is smooth and no issues.    I'll try to see what's up with it next week.  :nixweiss:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »

Syn 3 noise amplifier oil.   :D

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 01:25:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.