Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Whos Has The Best Front Suspension Out There  (Read 11352 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Whos Has The Best Front Suspension Out There
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 05:34:05 PM »

But I gotta say that these potential problems give me pause.

Of course, it's like anything else, you only hear about the issues, generally.  I have not really looked into the Progressive system much, but did not realize they were gas charged.  There is certainly nothing wrong with a gas charged cartridge...in fact, Traxxion makes a gas charged, but if I'm not mistaken, it's application is more for racing, not street.  Probably because the gas remains relatively stable regardless of conditions.  But, if they leak, you're screwed.  The AK-20's depend on the right amount, and weight, of fork oil to make them function properly, so in that sense there is less to potentially fail.  It's also interesting to know that the life expectancy is 40-50K, which is no big deal for 90% of HD riders 'cause they'll never put that many miles on the bike either from lack of use, or trading it for a new one.

When I was over there last Spring getting the AK's put on the SERGU, I was talking with Max and a couple of their techs that actually build the cartridges...they are servicing enough of them now to know if anything is wearing out at the 50K mark, due to the huge GW market they have captured...when they service the forks, they check the cartridges for any signs of wear or abnormalities in the components.  Some Wing riders put a LOT of miles on their bikes.  Basically, no wear of the cartridge assembly itself, just the usual seals and fork oil that's seen it's better days.  There's something to be said for in-house QC on parts that are spit out from a machine you're standing next to.

I really do wonder, just for curiousity, who makes both the Progressive Monotubes and also the new HD cartridges...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »

I really do wonder, just for curiousity, who makes both the Progressive Monotubes and also the new HD cartridges...
Terry, I point blank asked and Progressive said they do not make the H-D cartridges.  Said the design was similar but their's was better, of course.  But like I said, some of the potential problems give me pause and if I do anything it most likely will be Traxxion.  Have them on my '07 and know how good they are.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »

Conversation with Traxxion confirmed that if I make a change to the front suspension on my cuse7 it will be Traxxion's AK-20s like I have on my '07.  Of course Traxxion thinks their system is best but they were not disparaging of Progressive at all.  But the gas charged cartridges (with oil in the same chamber) will eventually leak and have to be replaced.  So if they did last 50k that would still be fairly economical but I don't think I am willing to gamble that they might not fail much earlier.  With Traxxion I have confidence I would have no problem, period.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:43 AM »

Terry, I point blank asked and Progressive said they do not make the H-D cartridges.  Said the design was similar but their's was better, of course.  But like I said, some of the potential problems give me pause and if I do anything it most likely will be Traxxion.  Have them on my '07 and know how good they are.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the premium front suspension that Harley has introduced which by the way is very much like the dreaded single cartridge system that was in the earlier 03-05 FLHTs was manufacture by Showa...
With this said the primary reason for the members to want to remove the cartridge was simply due to the fluid changes being made easier...
There was nothing wrong with the cartridge per say...
Perhaps if Harley offered it in both of the forks rather then just the one fork it would be standard in all FLH's to date

Progressives system is gas charged where as Harley's is not charged...Two totally different systems to weight out the options on...

Ride safe

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »

I have Traxxion on my 09 SERG and love them.  I went with Traxxion as they were widely acclaimed on this site (and these guys are right most of the time), had a reputation for quality & R&D, and I found an installer local here in So Cal.

If it keeps you from putting clothes on your kids or dinner on the table, don't buy the most expensive.  However, if it doesn't break the bank, then it's just money and, heaven knows, with a CVO you've spent a lot of unnecessary $$$$ if you want basic bike transportation anyway.  You may not go wrong with the others, but I believe that Traxxion has done the research, has earned the reputation and provides a quality product.  I went with the given vs the "relatively unknown" 2 years ago and have no regrets.  The money's gone and I can't (or don't want to) remember my total outlay for this project.  Of course, I also don't try to rationalize why the hand painted Eagle on the tour pak was necessary ;D ;D

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »

THE BEST ! Traxxion AK-20's for front end, Legend air suspension for rear, this set-up is made in USA, expensive & will spoil you.   :smash:  :soapbox:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »

THE BEST ! Traxxion AK-20's for front end, Legend air suspension for rear, this set-up is made in USA, expensive & will spoil you.   :smash:  :soapbox:

The Legend air system for the rear certainly adds some functinality for height control that isn't available in any standard shock.  And it's a good rear suspension; much better than stock.  But there's no way it's a better rear suspension tool than the Bitubos or a few other of the really good shocks that are options.  As a rear suspension Legend is good.  But it's not that good.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »

The Legend air system for the rear certainly adds some functinality for height control that isn't available in any standard shock.  And it's a good rear suspension; much better than stock.  But there's no way it's a better rear suspension tool than the Bitubos or a few other of the really good shocks that are options.  As a rear suspension Legend is good.  But it's not that good.

Will absolutely agree with you on this, Don.  While it is nice to have the "on the fly" adjustability of the Legends on any bike, and the ability to "slam" the bike for a "cool" factor is nice, if I didn't need them for the height issue, I'd go with a Bitubo shock...they take some fiddling to get set up correctly for a couple of different scenarios (single, two up, and loaded), but once you've got those settings figured out, they are repeatable, and the ride quality is outstanding.  My Vrod with the Bitubos and the Traxxion acturally rode better than the SEUC when just tooling around two up or one up.  The Legends, from my experience, actually like it better when you've got the bike loaded up for touring...the extra weight seems to make them function better.  The air pressure/height for just riding around is a bit more finicky to get dialed in...seems to be best lowered a little bit from full height for those times.

TTS Mastertune

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »

I talked to Traxxion today and got several questions answered...
first off they will build the front end to what ever you want...Mike indicated that there wasn't really any difference between the settings for riding solo 75% and 2 up 25% vs. riding solo 25% of the time and 2 up 75% of the time...
he felt like I was getting something between the Cadillac ride and the sports car ride
We discussed the option of having compression in one side and rebound in the other...Both the forks would have its own adjustments independently of each other but work in harmoney together...
I liked what I heard so I figure before long the bullet will finally be bitten and I don't ever intend to look back...

One thing he wasn't able to answer completely was since I like wrenching on my bike he didn't know the exact volume of fluid I would need so when the forks were to be over hauled I could do this my self...I could get close by draining all the fluid out and measuring it vs using there kit to set up the forks and rock on...FFT

Hopefully that when the time comes someone has since figured that little volume thing and we'll all know what the magic numbers are...
Now its another delema as to the Ohlins built for me by Motorcycle Metal or the Bitubo

Anyway I want to that all that has added there support and helped lead me in the right direction...THANK YOU
paul
Ride safe

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »

TD is too far for me to ride over and I am not that mechanically capable as to take the fork down and ship them. So I am stuck literally with the "stock" japanese front suspension. SUCKS!!!!!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

TD is too far for me to ride over and I am not that mechanically capable as to take the fork down and ship them. So I am stuck literally with the "stock" japanese front suspension. SUCKS!!!!!

You're kidding, right? :confused5:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »

You're kidding, right? :confused5:

Took the red bike there for the work as their (Traxxion Dynamic's) guinea pig.  About 800 miles and a nice day's ride.  Since it was their first exercise on Harleys it took them longer to do the job than it took me to ride there the day before ??? .

They're much quicker now.

Was a much longer trip coming home though.  TC bought me dinner in Birmingham and the Memphis crew fed me down on Beale St.  That occupied a couple of nights.  Weird how food happens...

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 01:30:39 PM »

Only took them about 4 hours to do my RG last Spring.  Got there at 9AM (I lose an hour) and was outa there on the way back home by 2:00 and I shot the chit for a while after they got done.  They even let me take their tricked out GW out for lunch.

You could always come up to Maggie Valley this September for the GTG and just lay over a night near their shop, then head to MV the next day after they finish.

Just food for thought...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

Took the red bike there for the work as their (Traxxion Dynamic's) guinea pig.  About 800 miles and a nice day's ride.  Since it was their first exercise on Harleys it took them longer to do the job than it took me to ride there the day before ??? .

They're much quicker now.

Was a much longer trip coming home though.  TC bought me dinner in Birmingham and the Memphis crew fed me down on Beale St.  That occupied a couple of nights.  Weird how food happens...

That's when Don got on Toby's bad side... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :drink:

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »

That's when Don got on Toby's bad side... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :drink:

That monster still haunts my dreams TC.  That was a fun trip though.  Really enjoyed the trip out to that 29 Dreams place.  Didn't you or someone mention awhile back the property was opening again?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.