Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Fender Trim Strips  (Read 19073 times)

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
    • CVO3: FLHXSE 2018 Dark Alloy/Black Denim
Fender Trim Strips
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:04:09 AM »

As I wait for delivery of my SG (1st March) in Hot Citrus to replace my '07 SERK, I'm looking at the various touring seat options. I will probably go for the Sundowner deep bucket seat (51630-09A), but was wondering if the removal of the fender trim strips is necessary? Been exchanging emails with NGH who did not need to remove his, but his seat is not a Sundowner. Any advice guys?

Sorry if this has been covered previously, but couldn't find anything to refer.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Fender Trim Strips
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »

As I wait for delivery of my SG (1st March) in Hot Citrus to replace my '07 SERK, I'm looking at the various touring seat options. I will probably go for the Sundowner deep bucket seat (51630-09A), but was wondering if the removal of the fender trim strips is necessary? Been exchanging emails with NGH who did not need to remove his, but his seat is not a Sundowner. Any advice guys?

Sorry if this has been covered previously, but couldn't find anything to refer.

I copied this from the MoCo's website....

51630-09A

Fits '08-later Touring and Trike models. Installation on '12 FLTRXSE and FLHXSE3 models requires removal of fender trim strips. Seat width: 16", passenger pillion width 14".

MSRP US $329.95

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »

I copied this from the MoCo's website....

51630-09A

Fits '08-later Touring and Trike models. Installation on '12 FLTRXSE and FLHXSE3 models requires removal of fender trim strips. Seat width: 16", passenger pillion width 14".

MSRP US $329.95

Yes, I know what the book says and thanks for that. I guess it wasn't clear in my first post, I was asking if it was actually necessary to remove the strips, as another member said he didn't need to.

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »

Ask him how he did it. that should answer your question, that is if it is a 2012 model

My question is, what is the fender strip.
From the installation photos I can't figure what it is.

dd
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:21:49 PM by dirtdobber »
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:39:10 PM »

Ask him how he did it. that should answer your question, that is if it is a 2012 model

My question is, what is the fender strip.
From the installation photos I can't figure what it is.

dd

There are two chrome and rubber strips that are on the rear fender.  They are so when you put the passenger pillion on, it won't be sitting on the fender.  Also, they look a lot better in the solo mode then having the clear plastic protector on the frame.
:devil:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:42:13 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »

They had to come off for the corbin to sit all the way down. Jim said they were two sided taped on.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:08:06 PM »

They had to come off for the corbin to sit all the way down. Jim said they were two sided taped on.

I just ordered the Corbin solo and p-pad and was going to try to get it to work with those strips. I orderd the strips for my '11 since I like the look and the fact that the pad won't touch the fender....hope it works :nixweiss:

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »

I have a Corbin SoloTour on my bike, and I did NOT have to remove the fender strips for it. It fits right over them, and the rear bracket sits right on top of the bolt hole in the fender. I also have a H-D Hammock seat for two-up riding, and it fits over the fender strips as well.

I can't comment on any other seats. Even though on the H-D site it says that you have to remove the fender strips to install the Hammock seat... you don't. I've had it on the bike over the fender strips, and it fits just fine.

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 04:22:27 AM »

I have a Corbin SoloTour on my bike, and I did NOT have to remove the fender strips for it. It fits right over them, and the rear bracket sits right on top of the bolt hole in the fender. I also have a H-D Hammock seat for two-up riding, and it fits over the fender strips as well.

I can't comment on any other seats. Even though on the H-D site it says that you have to remove the fender strips to install the Hammock seat... you don't. I've had it on the bike over the fender strips, and it fits just fine.

Hi Ken, thanks - I was beginning to doubt my sanity...no change there then :-\

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57:10 AM »

I just ordered the Corbin solo and p-pad and was going to try to get it to work with those strips. I orderd the strips for my '11 since I like the look and the fact that the pad won't touch the fender....hope it works

Let us know how that works out.  Looks like some of the one piece seats work fine as they use the stock rear mounting screw to attach.  Wondering how the P-pad will work using Corbins locking system.

JCZ:  if your reading looking at your seat do you think there is enough slack under the p-pad for this to work with the strips attached?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »

Let us know how that works out.  Looks like some of the one piece seats work fine as they use the stock rear mounting screw to attach.  Wondering how the P-pad will work using Corbins locking system.

JCZ:  if your reading looking at your seat do you think there is enough slack under the p-pad for this to work with the strips attached?

Corbin changed the mounting system for their passenger pads recently. I thought i was getting both seats with matching locks, but I got a call from hd-dude after I ordered telling me that they no longer offer the p-pad locking on to the rear fender. It seems the clearance problems with 2 up tour packs caused them to re-design the pad to mount exactly as the stock one does--using the rear fender screw. For the amount of time that I use it I was not concerned...as long as the solo seat still locks I'm happy.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »

The last classic solo I did on a 12 SESG the strips had to be removed as they held the seat off the frame bumpers. They can be reinstalled a bit further back to clear the seat pan.

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »

since I have never had my passenger seat off that is why I have not seen them, duh.

thanks for getting my head back on right.
dd
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »

they no longer offer the p-pad locking on to the rear fender

That sucks that's one of the main reasons I wanted the Corbin over the other brands. I guess when I'm ready I'll have to find a used p-pad and locking mount. bummer    There website still shows it as locking guess they haven't updated yet. post some pics when you get it please.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »

The last classic solo I did on a 12 SESG the strips had to be removed as they held the seat off the frame bumpers. They can be reinstalled a bit further back to clear the seat pan.

Then it's a good thing I decided that I would wait for my seat to arrive before putting those strips on
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.