Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Primary Bearing  (Read 7123 times)

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
Primary Bearing
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »

I need to replace my transmittion shaft bearing that are in the inner primary...Seems that they are gritty feeling and sounding
The book calls out for 9231 bearing for this job
I was curious if there was a better bearing out there on the market
2nd question is since this bearing is subject to the clutch wearing particules should I be overly concerned with it feeling kinda gritty when I roll them around with my fingers? I know that there should be no gritty feelings in bearing but with this senario is it applicable?
The race doesn't look bad but if I did decide to replace it is there a home made tool or forum method in which to replace it and re-install another new one? Is there a specific dimension I should be care full of when installing one?
Thanks
paul
Ride safe

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: Primary Bearing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »

Baker Drivetrain makes a good inner bearing replacement, but its only available for models up to 07.  I assume you are looking for a bearing for an 09.  You might want to contact them and see if they have anything in the works.  For replacing the race, Georges garage has a tool that will do the job.  Good luck!

hogasm

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:25:50 PM »

There have been some changes made to the mainshaft over the past few years, so some of the aftermarket solutions may not be applicable to your particular bike.  One example is the Baker bearing that only works for 2007 and earlier bikes.  So I'd suggest actually calling before you consider ordering any of the aftermarket parts.  There's nothing worse than ordering a part, waiting for it to arrive, finally getting it, tearing the bike apart, and then finding out the part doesn't fit your application.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »

Sorry guys
I dropped the ball...The bike we are speaking of is a 09 FLHX
I checked with Baker and they are not offering anything at this time but are considering something else
However they feel that the solution is the new chain tensioner system they are about to introduce
The self ratcheting system HD offers is 2 tight and creating undue stress on the bearings and if one was to go back to the older fixed style it would be the answer...
paul
Ride safe

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »

ok, ill bite - WHAT chain tensioner?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:33:02 PM »

ok, ill bite - WHAT chain tensioner?

The primary chain tensioner...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 09:59:20 PM »

thats a picture of the stock one - have had several of those self adjusting units - they can get too tight

the question is what is baker up to

to

cvofbme

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 02:37:47 AM »

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:41:30 AM by cvofbme »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »

Perhaps I've just been lucky.  But I've not had an issue with the ratcheting style tensioner.  Though I do think it's amusing that Baker goes to the trouble of offering an old non-automatic tensioner as an upgrade rather than doing something like the Hayden or HB125 hydraulic units to offer to the market for the newer bikes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:18:42 PM by Twolanerider »

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »

Perhaps I've just been lucky.  But I've not had an issue with the ratcheting style tensioner.  Though I do think it's amusing that Baker goes to the trouble of offering an old non-automatic tensioner as an upgrade rather than doing something like the Hayden or HB125 hydrualic units to offer to the market for the newer bikes.

Would either of those be better than the stock auto one???  I hear some whinning coming from the primary area and I have been told it's the chain making the noise because the tensioner made is slightly too tight :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »

Would either of those be better than the stock auto one???  I hear some whinning coming from the primary area and I have been told it's the chain making the noise because the tensioner made is slightly too tight :nixweiss:

MJ, I don't think the "hydraulic" style aftermarket tensioners were ever released for the six speed bikes.  They were/are common items before.  But since the HD branded tensioner became standard on the newer bikes I've never seen the aftermarket offer a competitor.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »

The folks at Southern Oregon Hot Bikes did release a hydraulic wedge version of their automatic tensioner, but you don't hear much about it or see it promoted much either.  Not sure why, and not sure if it's still available.

http://sohotbikes.com/wedge.html

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »

The folks at Southern Oregon Hot Bikes did release a hydraulic wedge version of their automatic tensioner, but you don't hear much about it or see it promoted much either.  Not sure why, and not sure if it's still available.

http://sohotbikes.com/wedge.html

Jerry

Jerry...wouldn't that do the same as the factory one in terms of over tightening the chain??

Mike

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »

Jerry...wouldn't that do the same as the factory one in terms of over tightening the chain??

Mike

Not necessarily Mike.  The SOHB hydraulic version doesn't have a ratchet like the Harley part, so it can't overtighten and then not back off like the stock piece.  The problem with the Harley part, IMHO, is strictly due to the ratchet.  If it was just spring loaded, and they used the proper strength spring of course, it wouldn't be a problem.  I'm not sure why they thought they needed the ratchet, a simple spring is what is used in the old Hayden M6 tensioner for the 06 and earlier models, and they have been around and performing satifactorily for decades.

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.