Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Hampshire motorcycle noise bill  (Read 2492 times)

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: New Hampshire motorcycle noise bill
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:34:31 PM »

Boy it would seem that the "Popo" and the court system would have better things to do with their money and human resources.

If someone ran for office on a platform that was based on cutting cost this issue would be at the top of the list.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:06 AM »

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20120208-NEWS-202080368

I live in Maine and they have already done that. A LEO can give you a summons for Loud Exhaust based soley on his hearing.
You then have the right to challenge it by going to and approved Inspection Station and having the SAE J2825 Test performed.
However, No Inspection Station is certified to do the test and none want to spend the money for the test equipment. So I have no recourse.
At least you have certified inspection stations setup to do the test. All they have to do is use At Speed = 2000 vs At Speed = 2800.

How to Perform a SAE J2825 Motorcycle Sound Test
and HD it is Idle = 92 DBs and At Speed, 2000 = 96 DBs.
I believe at the moment NH is At Speed 2800 = 106 DBs?

I am not saying I am in favor of it or not. IMHO, if the few continue to go their own way, All of Us will suffer from it.

Seacoast gave my neighbor and i a free test.
My 03 SERK with SE Touring was 91 DBs at speed and Mike.s 09 RK with supertrapps was 92 DBs at speed.
The only aftermarket I have seen addressing this so far has been supertrapp, they offer 9 exhausts that are SAE J2825.
SuperTrapp Stout 4" Slip-Ons are brewed to perfection! Paul Yaffe's Bagger Nation

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »

So Mike,

How are things going?  Last time I remember you sold your SERG for start up capital.  Hope your business venture turns out well and you are back to riding whatever you chose soon. 

Ray G.

TwoToes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide Black
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »

This is so wrong. The burden of proof is on them. You are innocent until proven guilty. You do not have to prove you are not violating the law. They must prove that you are guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt. This law is unconstitutional. You can not be required to go have your bike tested and prove that you are within noise limits.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »

Not good.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »

This is so wrong. The burden of proof is on them. You are innocent until proven guilty. You do not have to prove you are not violating the law. They must prove that you are guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt. This law is unconstitutional. You can not be required to go have your bike tested and prove that you are within noise limits.

It is already part of a NH Inspection for a MC.
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »

Folks are required to have their vehicles inspected or tested for various things all across this country.  For instance, emission system testing is required in areas that are deemed to not be in compliance with EPA air quality standards.  I have to have my cars checked every two years.  Then there are states that require yearly safety inspections where they make sure all your stuff meets standards, like all the required lights are in place and work and are aimed properly, there are no broken windshields, the required mirrors are installed and intact, the catalytic converter is still installed, the exhaust system doesn't leak, the fuel filler pipe still has the restrictor in it to prevent fueling with a leaded fuel nozzle, the brakes have sufficient lining, etc., etc.  So yes you can be required to have your stuff inspected and tested.

Anyone who can't live with a 92 db at idle standard is part of the problem, and definitely not part of the solution.  92 db is much louder than stock.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »

This will probably be more and more common thanks to the "loud pipes saves lifes" crowd  >:(

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »

This will probably be more and more common thanks to the "loud pipes saves lifes" crowd  >:(

It already is common.  People are becoming more and more vocal with their local authorities about the excessive noise and loutish behavior of the one percenters (not that 1%, the biker 1%).  It's the same old story that most of us have seen since grade school.  A small group of jerks create problems, and the rest of us get punished.  Nothing really changes.  Some of the proposed "solutions" in certain jurisdictions were ridiculously severe and most likely unenforceable as well as unconstitutional.  But this solution, based on science versus knee jerk crap, definitely has my support.  Don't be surprised to see this solution spread rapidly as more states and towns hear about it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.