Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: They ride among us - but hopefully in front  (Read 2722 times)

SilveRT8

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
Re: They ride among us - but hopefully in front
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »

I just sold my 03 Heritage softail and let me tell you the front brake on those is one of the bike's weakest point, scary in an emrgency situation.
I had the rotor and pad replaced by better parts and it still felt lame.
A night and day comparo with the new 12 CVO Ultra

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »

You're so right.....a few thousand miles a year was a lot.  Fact is, you could ride a bike in todays traffic and speeds without a front brake, but you'd have to be extremely good (and lucky) to survive long.  And, I don't know how this guy is doing it on a softtail unless he's a traffic jam all unto himself.  ??? spyder

Haha, u r so right!

I just sold my 03 Heritage softail and let me tell you the front brake on those is one of the bike's weakest point, scary in an emrgency situation.
I had the rotor and pad replaced by better parts and it still felt lame.
A night and day comparo with the new 12 CVO Ultra

Do u have the ABS with your '12??? That would be like Flintstons vs. the Jetsons - (anything, tires brakes, highways haha)
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

SilveRT8

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »

Yes, the '12 Ultra has ABS and braking power is astonishing for this heavyweight + my 235 lbs on top

mark

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

This is why I dislike going on those HOG rides, etc., with 30+ bikes...I'm not worried about my ability, but have no control of the goofballs around me. 

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »

I agree with you 100%!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »

I have been talking to my neighbor about this same thing, he just doesn't like the front brake. Both his father and I have been telling him that he is going to get hurt if he doesn't use the front brake all the time. Using it only in an emergency you won't know how to handle it... Of course he is only 5 and rocking his little 50  :2vrolijk_21:

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »

OK, who remembers having a bike with a front brake that's primary purpose was to hold you on a hill?   :drink: :huepfenlol2: :pineapple: har.  spyder

Hell, spyder, I remember not even having a front brake on 'nem ol' Springers and 12" over FL's!  I been ridin' Harleys since 1967, and I just don't use it, to speak of.  Hard for Ol' Hub to take advice from somebody that ain't been where I been on a Motorsickle, know what I mean there Dad?  I got my style of ridin', (while it may appear unacceptable to those who don't understand), that's the way I roll, and that's the way I will continue to.  Been in some real bad situations on a Motorsickle, some my fault and some somebody elses, but will still put Ol' Maudie where I want her, as long as she's right side up.  I know the limits of my Machine, and I got a pretty good handle on my own.  I try not to exceed either.  I'll call you when I get to Daytona.  8) Later--HUBBARD     
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »

I grew up on dirt bikes, motorcycles, and snowmobiles.  It was a long time between bikes.  When I was getting ready to buy my first HD, first thing I did was go to the motorcycle safety class.  Best money ever spent!!!!  That bike was a 2002 Softail, and the brakes worked fine if you applied the rule 70-80% front/20-30% rear.  Back tire would lock up in a heart beat if you over used the rear brake.   

Everyone that asks me about getting a MC that has never had one, or it's been a long time since riding one - tell them to do the same thing....invest in the class, learn how to ride.  Then go into a parking lot and practice what you have learned on your new ride.  Better to drop it in the parking lot then on the road.  Better to learn how to stop fast without a car in front/back of you. 

Evasive maneuvers, slow turns, and quick stops were worth every penny!  How they have paid off! I will say that I am now spoiled by the ABS system too - but you still have to follow the rules.

It's incredible that you don't even need a MC license to purchase one.  That's not limited to HD dealerships. Texas has made it mandatory to take the MC Safety Class now to get your endorsement on the license - best thing they have done.  Too bad over 70% of the riders don't have the certification on their license.  That ticket is pricey!
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 07:27:43 AM »

Wait...I thought it wasn't cool to use the front brake...I saw it in that cartoon video. Now I'm really confused. Crap.      ;D
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.