Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Twin Cam Tensioner, SE 103  (Read 4076 times)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Twin Cam Tensioner, SE 103
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

I'm getting ready to have some work done on my 06, and was thinking of having
my cam tensioner's checked while otheritems were being looked at.
My question is, how long does it take to check them? I plan on a lot more
miles this year and my luck half way into a trip, they would go out!

Taz
The "TAZMUN"

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Twin Cam Tensioner, SE 103
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »

Need to pull the exhaust, open the cam cover, and take a look.  The issue really is getting a good look at the back cam shoe.  It can be done with a mirror, but if it were mine I would want them to pull it all they way out and take a real look at it.   

If you go that far might as well check the run out on the crank too since its open.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »

I'm getting ready to have some work done on my 06, and was thinking of having
my cam tensioner's checked while otheritems were being looked at.
My question is, how long does it take to check them? I plan on a lot more
miles this year and my luck half way into a trip, they would go out!

Taz

Generally speaking, 25-30K, they should be checked.  The wear is pretty inconsistant from bike to bike for some reason, whether it's the chain, the tensioner material, or whatever.  If I were pulling it down, I'd probably switch it all out to the new style tensioners.

If one of the shoes really goes, it can take out the whole engine, more or less.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »

Generally speaking, 25-30K, they should be checked.  The wear is pretty inconsistant from bike to bike for some reason, whether it's the chain, the tensioner material, or whatever.  If I were pulling it down, I'd probably switch it all out to the new style tensioners.

If one of the shoes really goes, it can take out the whole engine, more or less.
Thanks, TC.
I really want to keep the bike and I still have over a year of ESP. I was also think of extending
it for a couple more years. I'm one that is waiting for a water cooled engine.
The "TAZMUN"

yellow103

• 2005 Electra Glide SE
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »

I have an 05 SE 103, had mine changed over to the new hydraulic style at 21m, good thing I did, the shoes were ready to blow apart. I had it done at  my favorite Indy shop, dropped it off that morning, picked it up that afternoon. Huge difference for me perosnally,very quiet in the cam area now, always thought all that racket was just part of the Harley experience, not!!. You could go gear drive and never worry about it again, I thought about it, was all set to buy the parts, and My Indy guy talked me out of it, he had put gear drive in his a few month before, and was changing back, said he didn't like the noise it produced, louder in hotter weather. You will find those that love it, and those who do not, bottom line is what do you want. 
2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
Screaming Eagle 6 speed W/21 tooth primary drive
SE Race Tuner
Rhinehart Tru Dual
Traxxion Front Supension
Rear Sway Control
King Tour Pak
Panacea LED Light's front/rear
Heated Grips
LED trunk spoiler

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:22:04 PM »

I have an 05 SE 103, had mine changed over to the new hydraulic style at 21m, good thing I did, the shoes were ready to blow apart. I had it done at  my favorite Indy shop, dropped it off that morning, picked it up that afternoon. Huge difference for me perosnally,very quiet in the cam area now, always thought all that racket was just part of the Harley experience, not!!. You could go gear drive and never worry about it again, I thought about it, was all set to buy the parts, and My Indy guy talked me out of it, he had put gear drive in his a few month before, and was changing back, said he didn't like the noise it produced, louder in hotter weather. You will find those that love it, and those who do not, bottom line is what do you want. 
Did you use the new HD hydraulic system, with the new oil pump?
The "TAZMUN"

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »

I'm one that is waiting for a water cooled engine.

I was doing the same and stopped holding my breath. Sold my 1995 FLHT for a 2006 FLHTCUSE. Look at some of my previous psts and you'll see what my shoes looked like after 25k miles.  Still looked good, however it's currently sitting in the garage with the heads off and cam cavity gutted. Should have my parts this weekend. Going back together with the new style cam plate and chain tensioner, woods triple nickel cam, woods lifters and SS pushrod.  Hillside Cycles did their majic to my heads and and got me 10 to 1. Factory header pipes are Jet Hot coated with 1300 silver. Can't wait to put a fire in the hole.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 25 queries.