Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: The Guy's Ride....Hwy. 33 and Hwy. 58....  (Read 6922 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
The Guy's Ride....Hwy. 33 and Hwy. 58....
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:37:56 PM »

We all agreed to meet to meet at a hotel in Firebaugh, Ca. on Fri. night 2.23.12.  Jon (Jonga) and I rode down from Elk Grove and Stockton and Andy & Danny rode down from Cupertino.  Van rolled up early this morning and met us.

It was a nice ride yesterday, weather was warm.....t-shirt weather.  We were looking forward to this ride.

Got up this morning and had our waffles, juice and coffee, fruit, pastries.....the usual continental breakfast at the BW.  Loaded the bikes.  It must have really been warm last night......our bikes were covered with the Firebaugh bug splatter....

Leaving the hotel, we rode Panoche Rd. to Hwy. 33.

It was a great ride today......nice roads, no traffic, clean air nice scenery in the farm lands of the valley.....it just doesn't get much better...

Soon we hooked up with Van on his new SESG....

A 2010 SEUC converted to a SESG (see those LED tailights and rear fender) and a 2012 SESG.

Next stop was Blackwells Corner.....the last place James Dean stopped for gas just before he was killed.

Around 5pm they stopped at a place called Blackwell's Corner, which still boasts The Worlds Largest Parking Lot.  This would be the last place James Dean's feet touched soil, with his heart still beating.  They purchased apples, and continued to his death.  The building that Jimmy knew, is long gone.  You can still see the foundation, near the building that stands now.  They've made Jimmy an industry there, and they have a fair claim.  This awesome portrait of Jimmy now adorns the property.

We're off again, continuing south on Hwy. 33, aka The Petroleum Highway.  Next stop is the McKittrick Hotel and Saloon and The Penny Bar.

McKittrick has oil and gas wells by the hundreds...even thousands.  The highway is called Petroleum Highway.

In the middle of all the oil fields, McKittrik's only gas station.....

McKittrick Hotel and Saloon.....the world famoun Penny Bar....  http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/23543

Video......   

The floor was solid pennys....

the bar top....

On the roll again.  Hwy 58 west......one of the funnest roads I've been on in years!

Andy, Danny and Jon.....

and here comes Van......

Have to take a break for tonight.....will get more posted tomorrow.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: The Guy's Ride....Hwy. 33 and Hwy. 58....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:46:52 PM »

Sneak preview for tomorrow......more James Dean stuff.  Here's the full story of his last few days....   http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/d/James%20Dean/james_dean.htm
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:32:33 AM »

Thx for taking us along JC! :pumpkin:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

BAGGER 1

• Senior CVO Member
  • Leeco
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:46:36 AM »

Nice pics guys, really enjoyed the James Dean story.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:43:54 AM »

That Penny Hotel is amazing, I had never heard of its existance before.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:06:59 AM »

Thank you so much for the picture's of your adventure JC.  I just got out of the hospital late last night where I spent the last 8 days. I had 3 surgeries on my leg from the mc accident back in June where the cage rearended me going 65 mph. It took a lot of prayers from family and friends to save my leg.  I thought I was going to get that trike sooner rather than later.  But, last surgery went well and skin graft's look real good.  So, I just wanted to send a special "thank you" your way for posting your adventure ride photo's.  They have been an inspiration to me to "get" myself healed and ride my motorcycle once again!  I may be confined to a bed, but your pictures take me to some of the most awesome places.  Thank you again for helping me with the "healing" process.  Judy
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »

I didn't know you were going back in again Judy.  Was I not paying attention or did you keep that secret?  I pray for a quick and complete recovery and no long term side effects for you.....get well girl. :2vrolijk_21:

By the way.....did I mention?  This is a guy's ride......no women allowed.  Sorry. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:00:54 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »

I didn't know you were going back in again Judy.  Was I not paying attention or did you keep that secret?  I pray for a quick and complete recovery and no long term side effects for you.....get well girl. :2vrolijk_21:

By the way.....did I mention?  This is a guy's ride......no women allowed.  Sorry. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

This surgery snuck up on me.  We were trying to avoid it but the pain in my leg from the large hematoma was only getting worse.  I got the hematoma on my right thigh when I was ejected from the mc and my leg hit the handlebar bending it 6". The Dr thought the body would absorb the fluid but it never did, so off to surgery I went. First couple of surgeries didnt go well, so we had to schedule a third and this one looks promising.  Now I just need to start healing so I can start riding!   :pepper: And yes, I know this is a guy's ride only but if I was there, I WOULD HAVE RIDDEN  :lolk: :kiss2: :elvis: :stooge_larry:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »

Really looking forward to today's ride......but have to get the rest of yesterday's pics loaded first.  Come on everybody.....let's ride!

This Hwy 58 from McKittrick to San Luis Obispo is built for motorcycles....absolutely no traffic at all, good asphalt, miles and miles of twisties and switchbacks, miles and miles of sweepers, miles and miles of whop de dos and miles and miles of straight flat roads and miles and miles of a mixture of all the above.  I know some of those guys were hitting 120 mph hour often. :o  But not me.......I always obey the posted speed limit. ???

As my friend Gabe would say......Let's roll! :2vrolijk_21:

Oh yea.....and thousands of tumble weeds that had blown across this valley and up against the fence line.  Damn glad that wind only blows one direction here.

Over a couple more mountains and we drop down into a nice green valley of ranches and farms and a very nice ride this road was.....

Came upon this guy from Pozo, Calif. riding his 850 Norton.  It has less than 11,000 original miles.  I learned all that as I flew by him. ;D

The last mile into Pozo....

We were talkin about this tree......how old it must be and the stories it could tell if it could talk.  Welcome to Pozo Saloon.   You can see the same tree in the picture on their web site that was taken back in the 1800's.....  http://www.pozosaloon.com/

and the Norton again....I believe he said it's a 1975.

The Pozo Saloon.....has charicture......it has attitude......it has flavor....

Take a gander at some of the shows they've had here in the past.  For some reason.....this is where I thought about Dave (Wrongway)......oh, he's probably been here before.

More later.  I've been put on notice.....it's time to roll.

West Coast GTG   

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »

Looks like you guys are having a good time. Great pics.

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 07:20:33 PM »

Thanx for taking me along on your ride great pics and ride report  :2vrolijk_21:

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »

I had to catch up with the norcal boys so it was 358 miles on saturday and 351 miles today. Great frieds and great roads to ride.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »

Leaving Pozo Saloon and heading for San Luis Obispo....

The Mission San Louis Obispo, across the creek....

Jon and I stopped for a milk shake at the Cold Stone Creamery.  This ol' guy was a one man band right down to his shoes.... ;D

and the sales girl from the store next door.....being a university town, this town is full of attractive young ladys....

and some interesting trees.  They almost look fake.  Not sure what kind of trees these are.....

and we even stumbled upon Bubble Gum Ally.  I had read about it on the internet awhile back and forgot about it.  But as Jon and I were walking downtown, just past the strange looking trees, all of a sudden there was a very strong odor of bubble gum.....

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/bubble-gum-alley.html

http://wrybread.com/misc/gumwall/

Jon......don't get lost in there.....he took up studying gum. ;D

The view out the back end of the Best Western....

and that was the end of the day yesterday......today was another great day of riding. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »

Bubblegum alley.

You find the strangest places and things.  :2vrolijk_21:
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 12:33:34 AM »

Leaving the motel......a very nice morning.

We like seeing these signs....especially when they're coupled with the big sweepers....

Soon we're off on Hwy 41, another two lane highway with virtually no traffic.  The last time I was on this road was Terrie, Jock and I going in the opposite direction.....headed to Solvang.

In Cholame, Ca. we stop at the Jack Ranch Cafe for breakfast.  This is also where the James Dean Memorial is as well as a little James Dean Museum in the back of the restaurant.

The little James Dean Museum in the back room is worth a stop by itself.  Here's the 55 Porsche Speedster after the accident (the accident was just a 1/4 mile on down the road)....

Here is the intersection where the accident happened.

James Dean and his mechanic came from down the hill (straight ahead in this photo) and the car that they collided with was traveling in the same direction as the car in the photo (much the same as left turn accidents involving motorcycles), turning left into the path of James Dean.  Supposedly, the conversation was James Dean's mechanic saying "watch out for that car......he's turning in front of you".  Dean replied "no, he sees us....he's going to wait".  Don't know if the driver saw James Dean's car but he turned anyway, causing the accident.  James Dean was conscious and died in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Our next stop is Parkfield, Ca.   Also known as Earthquake Capital of the World....  http://www.seemonterey.com/monterey-county-california/parkfield-california

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 25 queries.