Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Throttle sensitivity.  (Read 4359 times)

Luckymesscun

• Junior CVO Member
Throttle sensitivity.
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:50:35 PM »

Dont laugh guys because I feel dumb enough as it is. But this is my first bike with fly by wire throttle and I am just used to the feel and feedback of cables. Is there any way to adjust for sensitivity? Seems like if I take a deep breathe the bike throttles up or down. Maybe I'm just a brute like my wife says. Any?

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: Throttle sensitivity.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:38:41 PM »

There are some "software adjustments that can reduce lag.

otherwise you need to make some adjustments to yourself.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »

How about the little but in the road? Hit it and your hand fliks the throttle.

I definitely like the old throttle cable better than the fly by wire stuff. It just makes me fell a little disconnected from the bike. :(

GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »

Dont laugh guys because I feel dumb enough as it is. But this is my first bike with fly by wire throttle and I am just used to the feel and feedback of cables. Is there any way to adjust for sensitivity? Seems like if I take a deep breathe the bike throttles up or down. Maybe I'm just a brute like my wife says. Any?

I was told by the dealership that there was no tweaking to be done, that I just had to get used to it.  

After having my bike tuned, the issue is totally gone - rolling on and off the throttle is smooth.  

One thing the tuner shared with me was to make sure that the position of the throttle is not twisted one bit when turning off the bike.  Easy to do when parking, and turning off the bike as you set the jiffy stand down.  If the throttle is twisted one bit when the bike is shut off, this becomes the new zero position for the throttle until the bike is turned off again.  He recommended that I turn the bike off with the main power, and leave the toggle switch on the handlebar "ON" all the time unless it was an emergency.  Not sure if this is 100% accurate or not, but I'm sure others will add to the thread and either confirm/deny what I was told.

Bottom line, get the bike tuned.  It will run better overall, even if it's 100% stock.  If you plan on adding or changing pipes/mufflers or engine components, wait until you swap those out before tuning.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Luckymesscun

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »

Thanks Possum. I now have 400 miles on her and plan to have the 1000 by Tuesday morning when the shop opens. Pipes and tuner are sitting there waiting on me. Can't wait for my rumble to be back. This is my first brand stanking new chariot and I love it!!!!! Just need to get used her I guess. Thanks guys.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »

I was told by the dealership that there was no tweaking to be done, that I just had to get used to it.  

After having my bike tuned, the issue is totally gone - rolling on and off the throttle is smooth.  

One thing the tuner shared with me was to make sure that the position of the throttle is not twisted one bit when turning off the bike.  Easy to do when parking, and turning off the bike as you set the jiffy stand down.  If the throttle is twisted one bit when the bike is shut off, this becomes the new zero position for the throttle until the bike is turned off again.  He recommended that I turn the bike off with the main power, and leave the toggle switch on the handlebar "ON" all the time unless it was an emergency.  Not sure if this is 100% accurate or not, but I'm sure others will add to the thread and either confirm/deny what I was told.

Bottom line, get the bike tuned.  It will run better overall, even if it's 100% stock.  If you plan on adding or changing pipes/mufflers or engine components, wait until you swap those out before tuning.
Possum,

I'll have to try that throttle position shut off trick.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »

a good tune will do it or there is a vance and hines product called throttle pak ...plug and play seems to work fine on their web video
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:10:29 PM »

a good tune will do it or there is a vance and hines product called throttle pak ...plug and play seems to work fine on their web video
[/quot

I had the same issue until I installed the V&H  throttle pak.  It works GREAT and was worth every penny  ::)
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 05:16:24 PM »

Thanks Possum. I now have 400 miles on her and plan to have the 1000 by Tuesday morning when the shop opens. Pipes and tuner are sitting there waiting on me. Can't wait for my rumble to be back. This is my first brand stanking new chariot and I love it!!!!! Just need to get used her I guess. Thanks guys.

The TTS Mastertune allows you to set the DBW throttle sensitivity/lag.  Makes a big difference.

It is correct that you should turn the bike off with the main switch, preferably with your hand off the throttle so that it will remain zeroed out.  I had to force myself to do that, as I have always used the kill switch to stop the engine, then turned off the main switch.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »

I had two streetglides  09, 10 rode about 25,000 miles on each, then got an 11 CVO SESG which I had a TTS tuner installed with a professional tune. I never liked the throttle response on the TBW bikes, just felt weird.  The TTS corrected all the weird throttle problems,  the bike acts like a cable throttle bike, a night and day difference.  JMO

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »

I posted about this a couple months ago and my dealer also said no adjustment possible.  Not planning to buy TTS and should not have to just to correct this.  I find it very annoying and I always feel like I am fighting with the bike especially in curves where slight changes in speed make more difference than going in a straight line.  Rode my '07 a couple hundred miles yesterday and really like being able to roll off the throttle without feeling like I put on the brakes.

And just my opinion but I still recommend using the engine cut off switch.  It is just much safer to turn engine off with both hands on the bars.  If you can train yourself to use the ignition switch you can train yourself to make sure the throttle is closed before you reach for the engine cut off switch imo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »

The TTS Mastertune allows you to set the DBW throttle sensitivity/lag.  Makes a big difference.

It is correct that you should turn the bike off with the main switch, preferably with your hand off the throttle so that it will remain zeroed out.  I had to force myself to do that, as I have always used the kill switch to stop the engine, then turned off the main switch.
Terry, can you point me to where this is done in the tuning guide and what table in master tune?  Thanks.

IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »

Terry, can you point me to where this is done in the tuning guide and what table in master tune?  Thanks.

Jerry, from my limited knowledge, the base TTS calibration makes the throttle act more like a cable actuator, instead of having the built in lag with the stock HD ECM calibration.  In the TTS Mastertune software, you go to "Table Selection", then sub-menu "Throttle Blade Control".  You can then see that the TTS makes the DBW act like the old cable, thus "better" throttle response, or more what we were accustomed to.  If someone can better 'splain this, please do so.

Here's an older thread about this that shows the stock HD throttle response:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=39937.0

Attached is a graphical representation of the TTS table for the map that's currently in my bike.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:30:07 PM by Midnight Rider »

TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »

Thanks Terry.  I spoke to Steve Cole at TTS earlier today and you are right on the money with what you said.  Of course I have no idea what the throttle blade sensitivity is set to on the stock ECM.  If not too much trouble would you print that table from the map you currently use and PM it to me.  I'd like to compare it to some of the 'canned' maps TTS provides to see if Fullsac or Rod made any changes to what TTS puts in their maps.  Spoke to a 'very helpful' customer no service rep at the moco just now.  Confirmed that no adjustment possible thorough Digital Technician.  I reminded her that back in '07 everyone complained mightily about the heat from the 96s and the 110s and lo and behold the wizards at the moco came up with EITMS.  I said if enough folks complain then there can be a modification made to the ECM to address this.  She agreed and said she would forward my complaint to the appropriate department - to be put in the circular file I imagine.

IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »

Jerry...that old thread I pointed to has a table with the stock ECM throttle response settings, if it's still accurate (that thread was '09, I think).  My Word Doc attachment has a graphical representation of the table...I will try and do a print screen of the actual table later today.  I'm a dummy on the print screen function for some reason...

TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.