Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Has the CVO Moniker lost it's Luster?  (Read 12616 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Has the CVO Moniker lost it's Luster?
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2006, 10:29:29 PM »

I agree with  RedFXR2 it is about the money to HD and the passion to us...but will we be as passionate with the direction that HD is heading.

I can see an end to the current version of the CVO myself...especially if you can start to custom order your bikes from the factory in the near future.  I myself am wondering if my next touring bike will be a CVO...I can see more potential taking a stock Electra-Glide and completely modifying it painting it and adding engine performance enhancements that would be more "custom".

As mentioned, HD does not even NUMBER these CVOs...my HD Ford F-350 has a number...that little piece of uniqueness would go a long way to change my opinion.

/Bill

Bill
I have read yours and the other post on this thread many times. I have been asked why I got rid of the SEEG by lots of people and wanted to reply.
In the last sentence of your quote above you hit the nail on the head.
It's the uniqueness I want.
I loved my SEEG
It was fast! Faster than Hub's Maude? Probably not!
It was always clean. From a man that believes "what can shine will shine" was it cleaner than "DOODS"? Maybe but probably not.
It was and still is a CVO, but is it a Custom Vehicle? No!
I realized that everytime I saw one just like it at a ride or event.

I decided I wanted a true custom vehicle. Something built for Chip, the way I wanted it.
Enter my Frontier!
Check out the attached pictures of my bike in the paint booth.
Here is a company that is willing to give me "unique" and assign a number to it.
I picked the paint colors.
I designed the graphics.
I selected the motor I wanted.
I selected the wheels.
Mine will be the third one built.
#1 and #2 are display models for Thunder Mountain.
#1 and #2  are production vehicles which because #3 has "Chip" touches, it makes mine unique. As the TMCcycles website states, "no two Thunder Mountains are the same".
Imagine how I feel, the excitement I get during the past few months when I open my e-mail and see that Thunder Mountain has sent me another update or set of pictures documenting the progress of my bike. Anyone believe Harley would do that?

Has the Harley CVO Moniker lost it's luster?
Yes for me it did!
And for those that wonder why I'm here on a CVO site without a CVO,
The priviledge of being on this great site has earned me the right to make many new friends.
And the honor and priviledge of that will never lose it's luster!

Chip

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2006, 10:30:57 PM »

Picture of the saddlebag lid
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:44:21 PM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2006, 10:32:02 PM »

another part

Damn!

Love that silver and black!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2006, 10:40:43 PM »

another part

Damn!

Love that silver and black!
Chip,
Looking good. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I see some flames going on under there, can't wait to see the final product. BTW will it be at MV?

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2006, 10:45:37 PM »

Chip;
That's really cool that they are keeping in touch with you on the progress, The feeling your going to have being the proud papa of this bike will be incredible. Keep us informed on the progress as well.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2006, 10:47:48 PM »

Chip,
Looking good. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I see some flames going on under there, can't wait to see the final product. BTW will it be at MV?

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Absolutely!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SE05

• Senior CVO Member
  • aka - Mrs. SBB
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2006, 11:29:42 AM »

[size=9]
[size=8]I have read yours and the other post on this thread many times. I have been asked why I got rid of the SEEG by lots of people and wanted to reply. In the last sentence of your quote above you hit the nail on the head.  It's the uniqueness I want. I loved my SEEG. It was fast! Faster than Hub's Maude?  Probably not!  It was always clean.  From a man that believes "what can shine, will shine" was it cleaner than "DOOD’S"?  Maybe, but probably not.  It was and still is a CVO, but is it a Custom Vehicle?  No!  I realized that every time I saw one just like it at a ride or event.

I decided I wanted a true custom vehicle. Something built for Chip, the way I wanted it. Enter my Frontier!  Check out the attached pictures of my bike in the paint booth. Here is a company that is willing to give me "unique" and assign a number to it.  I picked the paint colors. I designed the graphics. I selected the motor I wanted.  I selected the wheels. Mine will be the third one built.  #1 and #2 are display models for Thunder Mountain.  #1 and #2 are production vehicles which because #3 has "Chip" touches, it makes mine unique.  As the TMCcycles website states, "no two Thunder Mountains are the same". Imagine how I feel, the excitement I get during the past few months when I open my e-mail and see that Thunder Mountain has sent me another update or set of pictures documenting the progress of my bike.  Anyone believe Harley would do that?

Has the Harley CVO Moniker lost its luster? Yes for me it did! And for those that wonder why I'm here on a CVO site without a CVO. The privilege of being on this great site has earned me the right to make many new friends. And the honor and privilege of that will never lose its luster!

Chip[/size]
[/size]
WELL SAID!!  I loved that SEEG also and it was hard to part with.  When the HD dealer called to say it sold I remember saying, "but wait ... we want to change our mind" (I know, just like a woman) and I actually had tears in my eyes!

But on the other hand ... I am soooooooooo excited about the Frontier.  It has been an experience just watching Chip and TMCC pull it together.  I ABSOLUTELY CAN'T WAIT to be on the back!!!!

LYWAMH    [smiley=yes.gif]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 11:34:34 AM by SE06 »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »

Well here's my take. Most people when they go to buy a bike have a price ceiling. That price is usually a regular production model and maybe a couple grand extra for do dads. The CVO lineup across the board is $7k above and beyond the price of the base models. As such unless you walk in the door of your dealer to buy a CVO, you're not going to. Beags and I have seen so many of our friends by UC's and end up spending $29k. They just can't get beyond that $30k plus CVO price. So to the majority of H-D owners, if you are riding a CVO, you are a cut above the rest. Argue that if you will, but I have found that when you talk bikes with other H-D riders, when you say you own a CVO, you can see the envy in their eyes. As to Johnny on the street, non motorcycle rider or people who ride other brands. Who care what they think. And in the end, they do hold their value a little better. I have a bro with an 05 UC who wants to trade it on an 07. His stealer will only give him 12k for his 05. All of you with 05 SEEG's know what they're worth in relation to what you paid, so I guess that says it all

Adios
         Big B

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2006, 12:01:34 PM »

Well here's my take. Most people when they go to buy a bike have a price ceiling. That price is usually a regular production model and maybe a couple grand extra for do dads. The CVO lineup across the board is $7k above and beyond the price of the base models. As such unless you walk in the door of your dealer to buy a CVO, you're not going to. Beags and I have seen so many of our friends by UC's and end up spending $29k. They just can't get beyond that $30k plus CVO price. So to the majority of H-D owners, if you are riding a CVO, you are a cut above the rest. Argue that if you will, but I have found that when you talk bikes with other H-D riders, when you say you own a CVO, you can see the envy in their eyes. As to Johnny on the street, non motorcycle rider or people who ride other brands. Who care what they think. And in the end, they do hold their value a little better. I have a bro with an 05 UC who wants to trade it on an 07. His stealer will only give him 12k for his 05. All of you with 05 SEEG's know what they're worth in relation to what you paid, so I guess that says it all

Adios
         Big B

Very well said!!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2006, 12:02:26 PM »

Chip,

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Actually DOOD there are no flames,
those are "Tribal Graphics"  [smiley=indian_chief.gif]  [smiley=indian_chief.gif] [smiley=indian_chief.gif] [smiley=indian_chief.gif]

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2006, 04:52:59 PM »

Actually DOOD there are no flames,
those are "Tribal Graphics"  [smiley=indian_chief.gif]  [smiley=indian_chief.gif] [smiley=indian_chief.gif] [smiley=indian_chief.gif]
Kewl. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Was hard to tell with the tape still on them.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

dps4

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »

I have a SE Road King ordered and will get it in March. I read how CVO's are not so "special" anymore. I know when you buy a $40,000 custom, you are lucky to get $25,000 for it one year later. Maybe it would be better to buy a "regular" Harley and totally customize it-truely make it unique?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2006, 07:13:34 PM »

I have a SE Road King ordered and will get it in March. I read how CVO's are not so "special" anymore. I know when you buy a $40,000 custom, you are lucky to get $25,000 for it one year later. Maybe it would be better to buy a "regular" Harley and totally customize it-truely make it unique?
Doing it that way you don't get as good a return on the mods that you add then you do when you buy a CVO to start. I forgot the actual percentage of return on the dollar for each accessory/part you add to a stock bike, but it is not as good as you'll get from purchasing a CVO w/the same accessories.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2006, 07:15:26 PM »

dps4
         If you bought a non CVO H-D and spent $25k extra on it. A year later any dealer in the country would only offer you what the stock model was worth as if it had nothing on it. You buy a CVO which costs an extra $7k over the base model price and in most cases you can sell it outright for almost what you paid. Now that the MoCo is making more and more and more of the CVO line-up and I don't know how this will play out in the future,  but I would never advise anyone I know to buy a stock model and invest more in it than a CVO model cost. As an example, price out a standard model 2005 Electra Glide Classic and then price out a 2005 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide and tell me what you think.

Big B

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2006, 07:32:31 PM »

I have a SE Road King ordered and will get it in March. I read how CVO's are not so "special" anymore. I know when you buy a $40,000 custom, you are lucky to get $25,000 for it one year later. [highlight][/highlight][highlight]Maybe it would be better to buy a "regular" Harley and totally customize it-truely make it unique?
[/highlight]

Only if you plan on keeping it for a long time. When you go to sell or trade any Harley, the value is based on original MSRP, not on how much you have spent on upgrades. If you spend $22000 on a new stock Ultra and then make it a custom by adding, let's say $11000 on paint, motor upgrade, chrome, etc. , then you have $33,000 invested. When you go to sell or trade it, then the bank is going to look in the blue book and it is still a base ultra and it will be worth about the original MSRP of $22000 less at least $1000 per year depreciation.
So if you keep your $33000 "custom" ultra for 2 years, you will be lucky to get $19000 for it ( a loss of $14000 in 2 years!). The ONLY way you might not lose big is if you can find someone with cash to burn that doesn't really care about the resale value and just has to have your "custom" bike.

A CVO bike (if kept stock--HA-HA) will depreciate based on it's original MSRP (which already includes all the extras that you have to add to the base model Ultra). So in two years an '07 CVO SE Ultra w/ original MSRP of $33,500 should only lose about $3000 or so in value. You will still lose most of the money you might invest in upgrades to the CVO just like  you do on any other Harley.

So unless you just can't live without a one of a kind bike, or you have money to burn, then the CVO is a much better value and retains its value much better than a "CVO wanna-be"

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

For those that can afford the one of a kind bikes, more power to you. ;D ;D

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 24 queries.