Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: SERGU HID Installation  (Read 7675 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
SERGU HID Installation
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »

Finally got around to installing these today...I've had them for a couple of weeks or longer.  The install is easy...the one's I got were totally plug and play.  You don't have to remove the fairing to install these, as there is plenty of room for your hands to get where they need to get in order to mount the digital ballast and relay.  I had not removed the headlights on the bike before, so was a little nervous about prying off the surround for the lights, but it turned out there was no need to be concerned.  Just grab a 6" screwdriver, and old washcloth for padding, and pry the bezel off.  There are four tabs, two on top, and two on bottom, right at the point where the bezel curves around the lights.  Pops right off.

Here's a photo of the kit I got.  There are other kits out there, but I got these:  http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/harley-davidson-road-glide-hid-lights-c-71_137/digital-hid-kit-slim-ballasts-p-209

IMG_1813 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This photo is with the surround bezel removed, showing the four screws on each light that must be removed to get them out of the housing.

IMG_1802 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This photo shows the color of the light of the old bulbs...I had the bike up on the J&S jack, so just rolled the whole thing so the front was sitting in the garage door opening...it's such a pretty day here, I needed the fresh air and the light.

IMG_1803 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This shows the lights removed and what's behind them...the three pronged plugs obviously plug into each headlamp.

IMG_1805 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This photo shows the old bulbs removed and the new one's installed. Do NOT touch the HID bulbs with fingers, or the warranty is voided.  They come in those little tubes seen in the background.  You have to fish the wires through the rubber boot that goes on back of the headlamp.  Not a big deal. The provide a rubber grommet on the wiring, but it's useless for this application. It's not hurting anything, so I left it on the wires rather than fooling with trying to cut if off.

IMG_1806 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This photo shows the wires from the ballast and relay that plug into the wires coming from the bulbs in the picture above.  So, you have four plugs: The pinkish/red goes to the ballast, and the red and blue wire is coming from the relay.  The other is the connection to the original plug.  The two black relays can be seen mounted vertically to the left and right...there is metal there to mount them to.  The ballast for each is mounted to the inner part of the fairing on left and right.  There's plenty of room there...just clean with alcohol and use the 3M double sided tape provided in the kit.  You'll have to cut the tape 2/3 rd's/1/3 rd to have a piece for the ballast and one for the relay. The tape is at least 1/16" thick, so there is some space under the ballast when mounted...a little air circulating can't hurt.

IMG_1807 by TCnBham, on Flickr

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:07:37 PM by Midnight Rider »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Re: SERGU HID Installation
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »

A closer view of each side...I hooked the lights up and tested before mounting them back with the 4 screws each.

IMG_1808 by TCnBham, on Flickr

IMG_1809 by TCnBham, on Flickr

It's a good time to clean a bit in these areas...there was a lot of dust and a few bug guts that had made their way behind the headlamp bezel.  Here's how the lights look not looking directly into them.  Pretty good match to the new Custom Dynamics Ringz I put in a few weeks ago. 

IMG_1811 by TCnBham, on Flickr

Finished...bright azzed lights.  Surely they'll see me coming with all that on the front.  I'm anxious to try them out at night...hopefully they won't need to be realligned!
As you can see, my basement is a basement, not a new car/bike showroom floor, so excuse the obvious signs that it's used in that manner.

IMG_1812 by TCnBham, on Flickr

TTS Mastertune

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »

Nice job!   :2vrolijk_21:  What color?  I'm guessing 6,000.   :nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »

Forgot to mention that!  Yes, 6,000K.  Matches the rings pretty well, IMO.

TTS Mastertune

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:45:53 PM »

Looks good and thanks for the great write up!

What kinda of price are we looking at for that kit?

Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »

Looks good and thanks for the great write up!

What kinda of price are we looking at for that kit?

Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD

$150 bucks for the kit.  There are a bunch of kits out there, but most are sold individually instead of both in one box.  These also have digital ballasts which are very thin and smaller than "regular" ones, so take up less room and are more vibration resistant.  Some of the others may be equal in quality, I don't know.  All the connectors were of very nice quality and the kit seemed to be put together well.  These are German (supposedly) made, for whatever that's worth.  I'm happy with it, so I guess that's all that matters.  One year warranty.  Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than LED's at this point in time, and better than just replacing the bulbs, IMO.

TTS Mastertune

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to conduct the write-up and photos...Looks like a nice add-on and priced within means...

:2vrolijk_21:

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »

Cool, thanks for the info again and that seems like a really good

price too!

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »

Nice setup. Do you have HID highbeam?
124 137HP/147TQ

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »

Nice setup. Do you have HID highbeam?

No...from everything I've read, the HID low beam is plenty of light, and it appears that way to me as well.

TTS Mastertune

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »

Finally got around to installing these today...I've had them for a couple of weeks or longer.  The install is easy...the one's I got were totally plug and play.  You don't have to remove the fairing to install these, as there is plenty of room for your hands to get where they need to get in order to mount the digital ballast and relay.  I had not removed the headlights on the bike before, so was a little nervous about prying off the surround for the lights, but it turned out there was no need to be concerned.  Just grab a 6" screwdriver, and old washcloth for padding, and pry the bezel off.  There are four tabs, two on top, and two on bottom, right at the point where the bezel curves around the lights.  Pops right off.

Here's a photo of the kit I got.  There are other kits out there, but I got these:  http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/harley-davidson-road-glide-hid-lights-c-71_137/digital-hid-kit-slim-ballasts-p-209

IMG_1813 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This photo is with the surround bezel removed, showing the four screws on each light that must be removed to get them out of the housing.

IMG_1802 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This photo shows the color of the light of the old bulbs...I had the bike up on the J&S jack, so just rolled the whole thing so the front was sitting in the garage door opening...it's such a pretty day here, I needed the fresh air and the light.

IMG_1803 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This shows the lights removed and what's behind them...the three pronged plugs obviously plug into each headlamp.

IMG_1805 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This photo shows the old bulbs removed and the new one's installed. Do NOT touch the HID bulbs with fingers, or the warranty is voided.  They come in those little tubes seen in the background.  You have to fish the wires through the rubber boot that goes on back of the headlamp.  Not a big deal. The provide a rubber grommet on the wiring, but it's useless for this application. It's not hurting anything, so I left it on the wires rather than fooling with trying to cut if off.

IMG_1806 by TCnBham, on Flickr

This photo shows the wires from the ballast and relay that plug into the wires coming from the bulbs in the picture above.  So, you have four plugs: The pinkish/red goes to the ballast, and the red and blue wire is coming from the relay.  The other is the connection to the original plug.  The two black relays can be seen mounted vertically to the left and right...there is metal there to mount them to.  The ballast for each is mounted to the inner part of the fairing on left and right.  There's plenty of room there...just clean with alcohol and use the 3M double sided tape provided in the kit.  You'll have to cut the tape 2/3 rd's/1/3 rd to have a piece for the ballast and one for the relay. The tape is at least 1/16" thick, so there is some space under the ballast when mounted...a little air circulating can't hurt.

IMG_1807 by TCnBham, on Flickr

Hi Midnight rider
 I am not blessed with mechanical abilities much less electrical. I have done very minor mods myself including the tour pack turning light relay that JDO had been selling. In your experience, is this something that most of us should be able to do? degree of difficulty 1-10??
Thanks for the awesome instructions!!!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »

This is really easy to install...you really can't plug it in wrong.

TTS Mastertune

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »

I received the same kit yesterday with the Xenon low beam and Halogen high beam from Motorcycle HID Lights. Installation was easy and straightforward especially using your pictures and advice. Thanks Midnight Rider! Also, I can confirm high beam is not really necessary with HID low beam.
124 137HP/147TQ

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »

The only problem I'm having is my garage door opener won't work now.  Working on a solution though, so will post when I get it fixed.

TTS Mastertune

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 10:14:19 PM »

Just checked and I have the same problem.
124 137HP/147TQ
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 24 queries.