Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Hi Beams On During The Day?..  (Read 4345 times)

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
Re: Hi Beams On During The Day?..
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »

high beams on in Michigan -seems to be the norm during the day   :nixweiss:

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 05:35:26 PM »

Recently purchased the Truck Lite Phase 7 head light and spots on the way. If I'm running solo them babies will be cranked up (hi and lo work together on this headlamp) and on high. Not sure what LED life is like with alternating cycles but I'll check into that as well. Just have to remember to shut off the wig wag function if I visit Canada. Now that I think about it, the last set of flashing lights I used are only activated when selecting hi beam and in daylight ops.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »

It's illegal here in Ontario, and for good reason... it blinds people when you are approaching from the rear or oncoming from the opposite direction.

The worst is when you have some bike behind blind you at night while you're on your bike in front, your mirrors generally are angled perfectly to nail both your eyes at the same time, too bad for you if you can't spot that debris or pothole ahead!

This is one charge I personally never offer consideration for.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:44:09 PM by murphy »

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »

Maybe it'll get there attention and get them off their cellphones. I do tend to shut down my hi beams when I come up behind someone and if oncoming traffic is on a 2 lane. If it's a 4 lane with a wide median then I'll let them flash if it's too bright. But I do plan on making sure my lights are adjusted properly. I want to be seen but no need to intentionally impede others visual aspect.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »

Interesting replys here.

My wife and I (and most of the Nor Cal members) have HID lights and we both ride with them on bright during the day however, her bright light doesn't bother me during the day.....when I'm leading.  And she's never said anything about my bright light bothering her during the day.  From sundown on......that's a whole different story. :nervous:

I nearly always lead the group rides and even before 2003 (my first CVO and riding with this group) when I was a Road Captain in a club......I've always asked people to ride with their brights on during the day.  When you're in a lot of traffic, it makes it a lot easier to keep track of all the bikes, but I've never found it to be a problem during the day light. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »

I like to keep my passing lamps on all the time on my ultra but they go out when you switch to highbeam.  I wonder if it would be worth it to make the change so I could use passing and highbeam same time?  More light =higher visibility imho.

Think I saw a post somewhere in here about how to do that.

Sledge

ps. don't want to blind anybody though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:53:04 PM by Sledge »
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »

I can not ride with other bikes that are behind me with bright lights on....blinds me in the mirrors.  Only the lead bike should ride with full lights (hi-beams and spots) for this reason.  Spots that are not aimed correctly can blind others also.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 07:57:11 PM »

Here in the land of the midnight sun... I'll switch to high beam (dual housing on the '11 CVO Ultra runs high and low at the same time) when in heavily conjested areas.  I normally run just the low beam but with the passing/spot light on as well... oh yeah, and I've changed the bulbs in the passing/spot lights to a 50W bulb vs. the 27W that came stock.  So far so good... no toasted wiring.

Also have to agree about having those in the middle of the group run just the low beams... as I'm either leading the group, or riding trail... and when riding trail, I run low beam without the passing/spot.  That way if I perceive an upcoming issue with the cages behind us, I have the ability to flash ahead to all the others to put their heads back on the swivel.   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »

I have the H-D leds and just run with the passing lamps and low beam. Never thought I needed to run high beam.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 10:02:55 PM »

It's MUCH easier for the RC to keep track of everybody. I tell my groups it's either turn them off or get t out of the group.

I guess that's why I ride mostly by myself or with one or two other riders. I just don't like anyone telling me where, when and how I'm going to ride. If I want my lights on bright or if I want them on low beam is my decision. No one can see better from my perspective than I can when I'm on my bike.  Sounds more like these rides are like going on a field trip when you were in elementary school.  Does everybody have to pee at the same time too?  :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »

Never, would not do it on my bikes or in my cars.

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »

I guess that's why I ride mostly by myself or with one or two other riders. I just don't like anyone telling me where, when and how I'm going to ride. If I want my lights on bright or if I want them on low beam is my decision. No one can see better from my perspective than I can when I'm on my bike.  Sounds more like these rides are like going on a field trip when you were in elementary school.  Does everybody have to pee at the same time too?  :nixweiss:
[/quote]

LMAO ;D ;D ;D ;D      I agree!
That is why I ride alone most of the time.
I stop when I want, turn when I want, go as fast or slow as I want.
Yes, it's all about me.
there are people telling me what to do every day, at least on the bike I feel like I can do what I want.
Some of my friends don't understand as they ride in packs all the time, if they like that, so be it.
I will not tell them how to ride so they shouldn't tell me.

And to finish, I do not ride with my high's on, lows and spots.
Works for me.
O yea, and keeping a eye on the cages around me at all times has helped also.

Just sayin.

Big Dave

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 11:06:26 PM »

I still have the stock bulbs in my '09 SERG.  I have mine hooked up to a headlight modulator and do they ever get the attention of on coming traffic.

Mine automatically go back to standard low beams when it's dusk outside. Even driving into my garage or stopping under an overpass will kick the modulator off.

I also have the Backoff rear modulator. It's hooked up to the LED tail/brake light chopped tourpak spoiler. This lets my LED stock tail/brake lights function normally.

Flashing four times then holding for about four seconds and then repeating.

I don't think I would have a bike without the headlight modulator again. I feel it's well worth the money and it's a quick install.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 12:56:14 AM »

High beam in the day time.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 01:15:51 AM »

Hi beams on all the time....  :2vrolijk_21:

That way, if you have a headlight burn out you will have low beam to use at night.

You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.