Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Hi Beams On During The Day?..  (Read 4346 times)

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
Re: Hi Beams On During The Day?..
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 07:02:17 AM »

Thunder probably said it best--use your high beam while you're on the road, but common courtesy says to switch to low beam when you come up behind someone. On group rides, I tell the 'Tail End Charlie' to keep his high beams on, so I can gauge whether the entire pack is still together.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 07:19:03 AM »

It's MUCH easier for the RC to keep track of everybody. I tell my groups it's either turn them off or get t out of the group.

I guess that's why I ride mostly by myself or with one or two other riders. I just don't like anyone telling me where, when and how I'm going to ride. If I want my lights on bright or if I want them on low beam is my decision. No one can see better from my perspective than I can when I'm on my bike.  Sounds more like these rides are like going on a field trip when you were in elementary school.  Does everybody have to pee at the same time too?  :nixweiss:
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

99fatboy

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »

Theres a couple of reasons I generally use my Hi beam during the daylight and have been doing this for about 15 years,  1 it helps to be seen by oncoming cagers, and 2 if your low beam is always on day and night, it = less bulb life.  If you use your Hi beam during the day it reduces burn time of the Low beam which your using only at night = longer life for low bulb, ....... David
What he said  :coolblue:

BONES - USMVMC

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide Tequila Sunrise
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2012, 09:24:11 AM »

High beams ALL the time. I have never in my many YEARS of riding have anyone flash their lights at me to say they are to bright. Everyone I ride with "ALL" run high beam all the time. If someone told me to turn them on low or get out of the pack. I would have a few choice words for the control freak! Just say'n.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »

High beams ALL the time. I have never in my many YEARS of riding have anyone flash their lights at me to say they are to bright. Everyone I ride with "ALL" run high beam all the time. If someone told me to turn them on low or get out of the pack. I would have a few choice words for the control freak! Just say'n.
:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

hdtrader

• Full CVO Member
  • ...in the motorcycle riding business since 1964.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7 in Electric Orange and Black Diamond accented with H-D's Big City Lights Graphics...how did the MoCo come up with a description like that?
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »

...never gave the high beams on during the day much thought but thanks for posting this thread.  I will start running with high beams from this point on.  thanks...
Randy
North Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »

I don't run my high beams during the day normally.   I did buy a new plug in wiring harness that lets ou run the high beam with the spots on.  I thought that's a pretty good thing to do,  especially on some really dark roads where there's no light available.   Took about 20 mins to install.   And you can always turn off the spots from the switch on the fairing cap.    :2vrolijk_21:

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 01:35:20 PM »

I look at as.... "You can offend them as they come at you, or you can offend them as you fly across their hood when they turn left in front of you"
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Chevy

• 09 CVO Road Glide
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Qualicum Beach V.I.
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »

I don't run high beams on during the day as I have HID lights and they are very white lights and noticable from on coming traffic, even in group rides the ride leader can pick me out from the rest of the bikes with no problem. Very bright lights and recommend them for sure. I use to have PIAA driving lights on my crash bars on my other bike and did run with those on during the day and worked very well . I,m not putting them on this bike but did put them on My girlfriends bike and she loves them and she runs with them on during the day.

Chevy
Klock Werks windshield
SE Race Tuner
Dyno Tuned
Stage One Kit
Vance & Hines
Progresive Suspension
HID Head light Kit
King tour pac
Corbin Gunfither seat

BONES - USMVMC

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide Tequila Sunrise
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »

I look at as.... "You can offend them as they come at you, or you can offend them as you fly across their hood when they turn left in front of you"

Well Said !!!

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »

On the FXDSE I run high beam during the day ( only got one light, better to be seen ) On the SEEG run the spots three lights ( better to be seen) Oh by the way I'd probaly get T out while suggesting a place you could kiss IMHO. Guess thats why I have such a selective group of people I trust to ride with. It is all about me, my BSR AND OUR SAFETY. Fourty years of keeping the rubber side down.  :soapbox:

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »

Since this was my question,  I would  like to comment a bit based on all of your heartfelt and very appreciated comments.

In a group of riders I can definitely see the downside of all the riders having their hi beams on ( downside for the riders in the group)

Bikes that have more than just the single headlight I can see that it could be over kill..

Obviously not to be considered at night with other traffic..The only but I can come up with would be if you are riding alone during the day, your bike has only one headlight, and you want to give yourself the maximum opportunity to be seen.  I don't believe during the day a single motorcycle high beam would really be significantly disturbing to others.

With all the above being said, rider safety is still the responsibility of the rider.  Always, always have your internal radar turned on to Hi Beam! 

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 07:04:42 PM »

Here's what I will do:  Install headlamp modulator.  Whoever posted here they use it could you plz tell me what you are using where I can get it?  Also would like to use the passing lamps with high beam on on my ultra, whoever posted they bought a harness that allowed them to do it: can you plz tell me where you got that too?

Thanks!
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »

I use low during the day and bright's when I am not meeting a car at night. I do have one comment about the modulators, I think they are irrating when someone is following me with one and I am in a car or on the bike, but I ignore that because they do make you much more noticeable. But I have a neighbor who recently asked if I had one of those flashers on my headlamps? I told him no and his reply was "those things piss me off" I always try to make it hard on the guy who has one. I was suprised as this guy is very meek. He had no reason other than he just didn't like them. So everyone that has one keep an eye out, apparently some car drivers do not like the flashing.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 08:50:10 PM »

f

First of all......I never use my high beams for anything

there is no visual advantage for me to use them and I actually lose peripheral light because my passing lights go out

(I have not wired them to stay on yet)

I have Moto lights that give me much more light and have them aimed slightly high and run them 100%.

They are low mounted and I do not get drivers flashing me. (They will flash if I leave my high beams on)

The moto lights work much better than my high beams and I have the Xenon HID's (the real ones).

The low beams do not go out on my setup when you hit the high beams.

I would give up my headlights before giving up the motolights.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.