Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: S&S power tune duals?  (Read 8688 times)

ohioscooterboy

S&S power tune duals?
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:49:22 PM »

Is anyone running S&S Power tune duals on their bike? If so do they have the sound of true duals, and what do you think of the quality?
I have a new 2012 FLHXSE3 (cirus and gunstock)which should arrive at the dealer within the next 2 weeks. I have started shopping for parts!Thanks for any help!

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
Re: S&S power tune duals?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:10:09 AM »

Welcome.
 I do not have them but I saw a set on a stock 96ci streetglide. They looked good and sounded good. That is all I know about that.
 Sorry could not be more helpful.
 Ray
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:58:25 AM »

I have them on my SESG2 (2011).
They were the hardest header I've ever had the pleasure to cuss during install, but once on they are one of the best looking headers I've seen. They don't sound like true duals, but coupled with Vance and Hines HO slip-ons I'm very, VERY happy with them.

Pics are here:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65150.0

You can click each image for a larger view.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:06:19 PM »

mine showed up :) was torn between the vance hines power duals(had em on my 2010) and these s&s powertune duals lookin at tif 2 bike i think they look cleaner hopin they get as good of numbers as the v&h did we shall see  thanks terry
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:37:48 AM »

Hey Terry

I think you'll really like them once they are mounted up. I spoke with S&S development team after my install and gave them some feedback on install issues (about a year ago) so hopefully they took my pointers to heart. Here are the "challenges" I ran into with install:

1. You have to "spread" the header to mount it. Helps to have a second person for this step, with each one pulling the header apart. I got mine on by myself but it was difficult. Maybe they've improved the distance between the two head pipes so less spread is required.

2. Had to remove the brake lever for install. I couldn't get the angle right to lay the header in without removing the rear brake pedal/lever. Not a HUGE deal, but this is the first header (out of 10 or so) I've installed that required it. Be prepared.

3. I had to lengthen the cuts on the expansion joint for the cross-over pipe. Couldn't get it far enough on the header to allow it to bolt to the frame bracket.

4. I purchased some (just) silghtly longer bolts for the cross-over-pipe-to-frame-bracket mount - made it easier to install. I couldn't get the cross-over pipe close enough to the bracket to start the screws, some slightly longer bolts allowed me to use the bolts to fully seat the cross-over pipe to the header pipe (see item 3).

As I said, I provided all of this feedback to S&S immediately after my install and they were very receptive and appreciative. Have no idea if they've improved things or not. I'd be really interested if you could post-up on how your install goes. Even with the challenges noted above I'm really happy I went with this header. Hope you are to.

Good luck and hope this helps.
TIF2

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:50:22 PM »

wow thanks for the info tif2 ill let u know how the install goes. thanks again terry
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:14:06 PM »

I have them on my SESG2 (2011).
They were the hardest header I've ever had the pleasure to cuss during install, but once on they are one of the best looking headers I've seen. They don't sound like true duals, but coupled with Vance and Hines HO slip-ons I'm very, VERY happy with them.

Pics are here:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65150.0

You can click each image for a larger view.

Great lookin scoot TIF  :2vrolijk_21:

How does the S&S differ from V&H Dresser Duals? Look very similiar
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »

Great lookin scoot TIF  :2vrolijk_21:

How does the S&S differ from V&H Dresser Duals? Look very similiar

Thanks Mr D!!
"Winchester" is looking a little more "refined" now .... I need to post up the latest pics  :)

The S&S header pipe is actually a 2-1-2 setup whereas the V&H Dresser Duals are a true 2-2. I had the Dresser Duals on my 2010 SESG and LOVED them. Let's face it ... NOTHING ... and I mean NOTHING .... sounds like true duals on a Harley. The S&S sound (and look) are as close to true duals as possible while utilizing the "preferred" 2-1-2 setup. I have no idea if the S&S perform on par, exceed, or fall short of the performance of "other brands" x-over headers (2-1-2 design).

Mostly ... I think that unless you have a race motor - all modern exhaust perform within 5hp of each other given the same motor in the same bike. That being said, I look to aesthetics and sound before dyno numbers. Just my opinion though  ;)
TIF2

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 20 queries.