Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Medical issues that impair or restrict your riding?  (Read 14175 times)

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Medical issues that impair or restrict your riding?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 11:32:13 PM »

Yea, I watch 'em like a hawk when the do the shot in my lower back, at least 'till they get me in a position where I can't see what's going on.  They give me Vercet (sp?) for the procedure, but it takes a lot more than they give me to knock me for a loop...I'm wide awake the whole time.  I'm only 5'8", but it generally takes twice as much morphine, vercet, etc to do any good...I attribute it to too many "altered" states of mind in the past.  I'm used to it... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Endo Doc huh?  I've got type II but it is controlled through diet easily.

Keep up the good work on your DM.  Oh, its versed.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member
  • Be responsible of yourself.

• CVO1: "2007"FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: "2004" 3500 Dodge Diesel Long bed DRW 4X4 HD "Laramie'
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2012, 01:17:24 AM »

I had back surgery (two discs removed) about 22 yrs. ago and while I was good to go for a number of years after that, the back pain has gradually creeped back in and progressed to the point where at times, riding is just excruciating.

Couple that with a serious motorcycle accident about six years ago where I was busted up real bad and now have permanent nerve damage in my left leg and left foot.

I often wonder.....just how much longer I'm going to be able to ride.  Mentally, I'm determined to not let it take me down and I just grit my teeth and push on through it.  But physically......I really don't know how much longer I can be able to ride at will.  I'm sure, at some point, there will come a time when I'll not be able to ride for a day (or days) due to pain but can still ride at other times.

I've also wondered who else has physical ailments where they're in the same place.....wondering how much longer.  Or are they already there...at a place where their riding is impaired or restricted in distance or time because of the ailments?  Let's hear it guys......you're not alone. :nixweiss:

Vagabond's recent thread regarding his hearing is what pushed me to go ahead and start this thread.  Vagabond......we're praying that your options will be successful enough that you're able to ride again. :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ,
I thank you for your thought and prayers.
If I were to list all that has happen, I wouldn't be riding at all.
I started riding in 1976 on a Honda CB400F. In 1967, At Kennedy Space Center, I was working the Apollo/Saturn 5 program. The MSS(Mobile Service Structure) and I got to know each other real close and personal at about 200 feet above ground. One of the elevators, not locked out, Caught my helmet and made my spine do a "S" curve the wrong way. I would have been dead if it were not for a "hole"  in the girder structure for the elevator to push me through. From the first visit at a Chiropractor's Office that found 11 vertebrae displaced by using a X-ray machine to the present, approximately 45 years, I've been going to a Chiropractor to manage the spine skeleton. I will be 70 on June 5, 2012. And now a new problem has come on the scene, Meniere's Disease.
And I still will ride.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:45:54 PM by Vagabond6542 »
Expect the Unexpected
For FRIENDS are always welcomed, and ASSOCIATES are somewhat tolerated.  But all are equally rewarded with Karma...Good or Evil.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »

I've told several people that this is probably my last big hoo-rahh ride.....the pain is taking it's toll.

Terrie and I have talked about the pain issue and riding, off and on, over time......even talked about selling the bikes several times.

We set off on this latest road trip a week ago, yesterday.  I told myself that this will be my barometer......hoping to be able to ride at least one day without having to dig off in to the pain meds.  No such luck.....not for me and not for Terrie (her neck/shoulder pain).  I haven't been able to get more than two hours without excruiating pain.  For her, she's good about 4-6 hours but in the end, she ends up in the same place as me......just way to much pain.

So, we've decided to follow through with our back up plan.  When we get home, back in California, both of our bikes will be cleaned up, detailed, and put up for sale.  We're both tired of living in pain and misery just to be able to do what we love to do. 

We'll still travel all over, see things, go places, do things.......but it'll be in the car or truck.  We'll both miss the bikes but it will be nice to be able to do things without being in so much pain.  So, for us, it's a bitter sweet time as we cross this last couple of states heading home.

It's been a great trip (other than the constant pain issues).....one we'll never forget and we were able to ride our last ride with greatest people that we're fortunate enough to have as our friends.  I'm sure, after all of you view the ride reports that we'll be doing over the next week or so, that you'll agree.....this was a world class ride! :2vrolijk_21:

We may, in a fit of insanity, rent a couple bikes from time to time and you just never know when we might show up at one of the GTGs. :nixweiss: 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2012, 10:32:11 PM »

I'm wiping away a tear as I read this JC.  I guess I met you a day late and now my dream of sharing the road with you looks like a distant memory.  I'm not sure this is the best trip (snowy, cold weather) to decide to hang your passion up on.  But, you and Terrie know your limits better than I and if this is something you gotta do, than you do what is best for you both.  The road will be lonely without your knees blowing in the wind and whenever I see a blue CVO, I'm gonna look for you.  Deciding to walk away from something that we are so passionate about is always the hardest thing that we face in life and the struggle emotionally and physically can be so painful.  Your friends will miss you both and me .... well I will always be envious of those that got to share the road with you.

I will keep my fingers crossed that our paths will cross one day ~ even if that means you're rambling down the road in your truck and you better still keep that camera strapped around your neck because I expect pictures from the road!

~Judy
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »

So sorry to read that the pain has reached this point with you and Terrie, JC.  But, maybe 'renting' from time to time to just take a little putt and still get your knees in the breeze will be in your future.  Sure hope so.  ;) You're one of the 'good guys' that's forgotten more about ridin' than most will ever know or experience.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:31:14 AM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »

I'm wiping away a tear as I read this JC.  I guess I met you a day late and now my dream of sharing the road with you looks like a distant memory.  I'm not sure this is the best trip (snowy, cold weather) to decide to hang your passion up on.  But, you and Terrie know your limits better than I and if this is something you gotta do, than you do what is best for you both.  The road will be lonely without your knees blowing in the wind and whenever I see a blue CVO, I'm gonna look for you.  Deciding to walk away from something that we are so passionate about is always the hardest thing that we face in life and the struggle emotionally and physically can be so painful.  Your friends will miss you both and me .... well I will always be envious of those that got to share the road with you.

I will keep my fingers crossed that our paths will cross one day ~ even if that means you're rambling down the road in your truck and you better still keep that camera strapped around your neck because I expect pictures from the road!

~Judy
Yes and Amen.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 01:24:39 AM »

Hey JCZ, sorry to read this. I hope that you and Terrie find something else that gets you as jacked-up as your two wheeled machinery has over the years. Good luck to you both.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2012, 07:04:34 AM »

JCZ there will come a time in all of our lives that we will have to quit riding. I never knew you were in so much pain in the past. I think like all of the rest of us OLD FARTS we keep it to ourselves. I have been off here for a while taking a break for various reasons. One of them being medical. I just took a year off of riding and it has seemed to help. On Memorial Weekend I rode for 5 straight days. It was a little tough the first day but got better as the Weekend went on. What I am saying is maybe some time off will help. In your case I would hope so. You have a REAL PASSION for riding.

I hope you will recover to the point you will be able to get back in the wind some day!!! Wishing you and Terri all of the best.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »

JC,

I was talking with some friends and we were all doing the old age complaint thing. One guy mentioned that he used to run marathons, but at age 62 he said it was getting too difficult and painful. He was rancher and rodeo rider who got beaten up in his younger days and is feeling it all now. He said he was considering giving up running altogether but that it would just break his heart to do so. One of the other guys (who used to be a water polo, swim and rowing coach) said that instead of giving up a passion completely, to first try modifying the event. Instead of running the whole 26.2 miles, just run 10.

I guess what I'm saying is that if two hours is the most you can manage, then maybe ride for only two hours. If we have a rally or GTG somewhere, throw the bikes on the trailer and tow them over to the meet location. Once we're there ride two hours and head back to the hotel. There's nothing wrong with that. Or, like it was suggested earlier, take a long time off and away from riding, maybe 6 months to a year. Use that time to rest, get chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture (I swear by it), massages, physical therapy and time in the gym to strengthen muscles and loosen up joint movement.

These are just suggestions JC, and maybe you have already done them or considered them. I only bring them up because I know how much you and Terrie love to ride.  But you have to do what you must. And if you are thinking of a convertible,........I like that Mustang Shelby convertible.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »

JC...Like Mark suggested, how about getting a nice enclosed trailer and just tow the bikes to the places you want to "explore", then ride the bike as little or as much as you want to in that area.  That is what Judi and I are going to try and do in the next 3-5 years, only do it with a smaller toy hauler and camp out some as well.  My lower back issues come and go...they have been fine for the past couple of years, but I just can't do (or choose not to) those 500+ mile days any more.

Mark brings up another good suggestion...Acupuncture.  It works.  I had a friend who had such severe back pain that she was virtually bed ridden most of the time.  She had been to all kinds of doctors, including some at the Mayo Clinic, all to no avail.  Her husband finally took her to a local acupunturist...after 3 visits, her pain was gone.  He later told me that he finally got his wife back, after years of her being a different person due to the pain and heavy meds she was on to dull the pain.  The last time I talked to them, she was having to go back for a follow up treatment because she had tweaked her back while WHITEWATER CANOEING.  It does work for pain management, with NO drugs involved.  It might be worth a try, at least.

You guys do what's best for you, but I'd hate to see you give up riding all together, and sell off two bikes that are customized for the both of you.

We all have to make hard decsions sometimes though, as life throws curve balls every once in a while...been there, done that, and have several t-shirts.  Regardless, you two have each other, and that enables you to get through whatever challenges lay ahead.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »

JC...Like Mark suggested, how about getting a nice enclosed trailer and just tow the bikes to the places you want to "explore", then ride the bike as little or as much as you want to in that area.  That is what Judi and I are going to try and do in the next 3-5 years, only do it with a smaller toy hauler and camp out some as well.  My lower back issues come and go...they have been fine for the past couple of years, but I just can't do (or choose not to) those 500+ mile days any more.

Mark brings up another good suggestion...Acupuncture.  It works.  I had a friend who had such severe back pain that she was virtually bed ridden most of the time.  She had been to all kinds of doctors, including some at the Mayo Clinic, all to no avail.  Her husband finally took her to a local acupunturist...after 3 visits, her pain was gone.  He later told me that he finally got his wife back, after years of her being a different person due to the pain and heavy meds she was on to dull the pain.  The last time I talked to them, she was having to go back for a follow up treatment because she had tweaked her back while WHITEWATER CANOEING.  It does work for pain management, with NO drugs involved.  It might be worth a try, at least.

You guys do what's best for you, but I'd hate to see you give up riding all together, and sell off two bikes that are customized for the both of you.

We all have to make hard decsions sometimes though, as life throws curve balls every once in a while...been there, done that, and have several t-shirts.  Regardless, you two have each other, and that enables you to get through whatever challenges lay ahead.

I had a difficult night sleeping last night after reading JC's post.  I am so saddened by this lastest news.  JC has been such an inspiration to me since my MC wreck last year.  His encouragement has really inspired me to get back in the saddle.  I agree with your post about putting the bikes on a trailer and once there do some site seeing and load them back up.  It is a great thought you posted and I hope JC and Terri consider this option.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »

JC

I know exactly where you are coming from in regard to riding in pain.. I have an extreme bad left knee that should have been replaced  years ago. However i also have a certain blood disorder and my doctors warn against a knee replacement surgery...  I live on cortisone and pain medication to just to get by.. Since i wont ride or drive while under the influence of pain meds i plan my big rides within a week or two of getting my quarterly cortisone shot. The cortisone shots help a lot but only short term.  
Im getting to point now where i cant move my knee in very 'fast action' after setting in one position for awhile. i learned this recently when i was riding my bike solo and alone on a quick jaunt to Tahoe leaving on a cold morning. When i got up to Auburn realizing i needed gas, i pulled off on Forrest Hill Road and hit the first light red.  When i came up to a slow stop, i barely got my left leg off to support myself and quickly learned i had no strength, my knee just gave out, and my bike went down.  I was lucky that several people were right there to help get my bike up.
After this episode i thought its time to quit riding but the passion kicked in and i soon developed a pattern to trust my stronger right leg and it seems to be working..  However, its not helping the pain i endure on the left leg and it only seems to occur when im in a riding position for several hours.
I've got a couple options, one get rid of the bikes and quit riding or take a chance on a knee replacement. Could i get by with the pain management? probably but as you know, pain meds work to a point but they restrict your riding time due to the intoxication issues. I dont think i can give up my passion at 57 years old after riding for 30+ of those years, so against my wife's desires i've chosen to go through with the surgery. Im taking a bigger risk then normal but i think i would be totally distraught if i was confined from doing things i enjoy.   So this Oct is the big month for me..   and with all luck i'll be back in the saddle without the meds by next summer..  
Now back to you,, Have you and Terry put any thought of keeping one bike and shorten your riding events to just a couple a year? i know its going to be really hard to cold turkey overnight..  I would hate to miss all your ride pictorials and posting you and Terry do, which both my wife and I enjoy.  Have you seen a good pain management doctor? The doctor i have does magic and has me on a program so i wouldn't get into a DWI situation.  I personally would be much happier if you and Terry figured out something to keep the 'riding passion' and im sure everyone here would to....   My prayers are to you and Terry that what you do is really right..   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:02:10 PM by cvobiker »

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »

JC..I agree with Mark..why not try shorter rides and trailering to the ones that are too far to ride to. Then you can ride when you get there and not worry about the long trip home. This has been such a passion for you and Terrie that I would hate to see you give it up completely. Or maybe just a little break is all that is needed. The worst thing would be to clean them both up and get them sold, only to regret it 6 months (or less) from now. But do whatever you feel is right, just think it over hard and long first. I will still hold out hope to share the road with you both someday.

Mike

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »

Short rides are still rides....you guys live in day ride nirvana...I have learned to be happy with what I can do, not with what I want to do...

Peace to you both.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »

JC, sorry to hear that you and Terrie have had to make the hard decision we will all face some day. I have started to look at trikes as my knees and hips don't work as well as they used to.
I'm sure you have looked at many options before you posted. Just know that you have many friends here that support you, some you haven't even met or ridden with. A nice convertible isn't the same as a bike, but it is close. I wish you and Terrie all the best and hope our paths cross someday.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 20 queries.