Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Full Sac - Sound Tone and Loudness Comparison  (Read 18175 times)

Cruisin

• 2011 CVO Rally in Lake Tahoe
Full Sac - Sound Tone and Loudness Comparison
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »

I don't have any experience with Full Sac baffles.  However I like what I have read about Full Sac on this website.  Before I purchase Full Sac baffles and permanently modify my stock SE mufflers, can some of you experienced guys tell me what you would compare the Full Sac baffles to?  For example:

1.  How does the sound rumble/growl/tone and loudness of the Full Sac baffles compare to the baffles in other aftermarket slip-on mufflers such as Vance & Hines Monster Ovals or Rounds, Rinehart's, Thunder Headers, and etc?  

2. I understand there is a difference in loudness between the 1.75", 2.0", and 2.25" cores, but how much of a difference is there, and is there a difference in sound rumble/growl or tone between the different cores?  

So that I can better relate to your comments please compare the different cores to other aftermarket slip-on mufflers that you know?  

For a apples to apples comparison of mufflers only, let's assume a stock bike with stock header pipes, and etc. The only part you modified is the slip-on mufflers.  I am thinking of a non-complicated, keep it simple comparision.  For example someone could say that in their opinion they thought the 2.0" Full Sac baffles sound similar to V & H Monster Rounds.

I thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:00:31 PM by Cruisin »
Cruisin'

glens

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Full Sac - Sound Rumble/Growl and Tone Comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

You really ought to specify "(X aftermarket complete muffler) vs. (Y fullsac core in stock can) on exact same pipes" or you're not going to get a worthwhile comparison.

I cannot help you, however, because I don't have the CVO cans.  Mine are the "plain" (non-CVO) stock touring cans.  And I can't hardly remember the valid comparison between my 2" fullsac cores and Rush 2" cored mufflers.   I remember that I preferred the stock/fullsac combination but not what the qualities were that made me think so.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:42:08 PM »

Sadly, you will never know what muffler suits you best until you are in the saddle listening to them, I have heard mufflers that I thought sounded trashy, the owners loved them and would have given glowing testimonials, Sound is so subjective that it is impossible to really make a recommendation, that being said I am using 2 in Fullsac replacement baffles at the present time. Largely because I like the look of the stock cans.  No one muffler can do it all, some brands sound better at idle, some under a load and others at cruising speed. over the years I have had mufflers stacked up like cordwood looking for the elusive perfect sound, Good Luck

Cruisin

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »

In your opinion does your Full Sac baffles sound similar to any other aftermarket slip-on mufflers such as V & H, or Rineharts, or Thunder headers, or Rush, or is it a unique sound that you have never heard before?  Can you describe the sound.
Cruisin'

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »

In your opinion does your Full Sac baffles sound similar to any other aftermarket slip-on mufflers such as V & H, or Rineharts, or Thunder headers, or Rush, or is it a unique sound that you have never heard before?  Can you describe the sound.

Haven't heard the Rush or Thunderheader with me on the bike, but I can tell you the loudest Fullsac baffle is quieter than the Rinehart or V&H.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »

I had the Rinehart 4" full system  and their performance baffles on my 2010 CUSE.  I have the fullsac system on this bike with the 2.25 cores.  Not nearly as loud as the Rineharts or tinny, a bit deeper tone but I also have no packing or insulation.  I wouldn't change my current set up for anything other than CFR's, and I won't make that change simply because one of the members sent me a dyno'd map for the current set up and it runs like a champ!  Good luck, hope that helps?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
  • "I fly on the wings of Red Eagle"
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »

Prior to using the 1.75 cores on my 2012 CVO RG I have had extensive use of both Rinehart and Fuel Moto Jackpot mufflers on past bikes that were not CVOs.  They are all different.  And to tell the truth I have liked them all.  Rinehart's have a beautiful sound and may be the most popular muffler out there when it comes to Harleys.  They have what I consider a "raspy" sound to them.  And they will probably be one of the loudest also.  A lot think of the Rineharts as what a Harley should sound like when it comes to the famed "Harley Rumble".  The Fuel Moto Jackpot mufflers are good mufflers in their own right.  FM designed them specifically for the 2-1-2 stock Harley exhaust system.  Where as the left side muffler has a smaller baffle inlet than the right to match up with less exhaust flow from that side.  They sound really good also and because they have quite a bit of packing inside the cans they have a more mellow sound than compared to Rineharts but will still bark pretty good when you hammer down on the throttle.  Then comes the Fulsac cores.  I have the 1.75 and have heard the 2.0.  Pretty much the same sound but just gets louder as you go up.  I find them to be somewhere in between the Rineharts and Jackpots.  Not as Raspy as Rineharts but also less mellow the Jackpots.  It's really a perfect sound to me.  Though you do have the option of using or not using the packing that will be in there from the stock setup.  I tried it at first without packing and thought it sounded a little too hollow and then packed them in with the packing and then thought it was a little to muffled so I went with less packing on the left side and completely took out the packing on the right and ended up with the perfect balance of tone and volume for my tastes.  So as mentioned already, a lot of it is just trial and error.  What suits one will not suit another.  You just have to experiment for yourself and see what works for you.  There are many exhaust systems out there too.  It can be overwhelming sometimes but eventually you'll find what works for you.  Unfortunately finding that will not always be easy on your pocket book.  Good luck with it.

mark

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »

I have Fullsac 2.0 baffles.  Comparing these to the V&H slip-ons I had on my previous bike - the V&H were much louder.  I would describes the 2.0's this way:  nice rumble when idling and nice sound when you twist the throttle open.  A Harley owner would would definitely know the 2.0's were not stock.  However, the 2.0's aren't loud enough to drown-out the stereo or cause any problems with the police for loud pipes, IMO.  BTW, I love my Fullsac setup and would put these on my next bike.   

Cruisin

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:30:35 PM »

Very helpful and good information to know.  Thank you to those who replied to my posting.  Below is the information that I found most helpful.

* “I can tell you the loudest Fullsac baffle is quieter than the Rinehart or V&H”

* “I have the fullsac system on this bike with the 2.25 cores.  Not nearly as loud as the Rineharts or tinny, a bit deeper tone but I also have no packing or insulation.”

* “I have the 1.75 and have heard the 2.0.  Pretty much the same sound but just gets louder as you go up.  I find them to be somewhere in between the Rineharts and Jackpots.  Not as Raspy as Rineharts but also less mellow the Jackpots.  It's really a perfect sound to me.  Though you do have the option of using or not using the packing that will be in there from the stock setup.  I tried it at first without packing and thought it sounded a little too hollow and then packed them in with the packing and then thought it was a little to muffled so I went with less packing on the left side and completely took out the packing on the right and ended up with the perfect balance of tone and volume for my tastes.”

* "I have Fullsac 2.0 baffles.  Comparing these to the V&H slip-ons I had on my previous bike - the V&H were much louder.  I would describes the 2.0's this way:  nice rumble when idling and nice sound when you twist the throttle open.  A Harley owner would would definitely know the 2.0's were not stock.  However, the 2.0's aren't loud enough to drown-out the stereo or cause any problems with the police for loud pipes, IMO."

I really like the looks of my stock SE mufflers and end caps, and I want to keep them. But the sound coming out of the stock mufflers is not a deep enough rumble and growl, nor are they loud enough.  Many of you have solved this problem by installing Full Sac baffles; and by adding and removing various amounts of packing you all were able to achieve the sound level and quality that you wanted from the baffles.  I like a loud muffler with a deep rumble and growl (but not as loud as straight pipes). I like the sound level and sound quality of the 4" V&H Monster Rounds or the 4" Rineharts, but as I said I want to keep my stock SE mufflers and end caps.  

I think I will either install a pair of 2.25" baffles or follow Steve at Full Sac's recommendation of installing one 2.25" baffle and one 2.0" baffle.  Based upon the sound level I want I can experiment with swapping the 2 different baffles from side to side. If I want it louder I can install the 2.25" baffle on the right side and the 2.0" baffle on the left side.  If I want it quieter I can install the 2.0" on the right side and the 2.25" on the left side.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:37:58 AM by Cruisin »
Cruisin'

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
  • "I fly on the wings of Red Eagle"
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:00:56 PM »

Very helpful and good information to know.  Thank you to those who replied to my posting.  Below is the information that I found most helpful.

* “I can tell you the loudest Fullsac baffle is quieter than the Rinehart or V&H”

* “I have the fullsac system on this bike with the 2.25 cores.  Not nearly as loud as the Rineharts or tinny, a bit deeper tone but I also have no packing or insulation.”

* “I have the 1.75 and have heard the 2.0.  Pretty much the same sound but just gets louder as you go up.  I find them to be somewhere in between the Rineharts and Jackpots.  Not as Raspy as Rineharts but also less mellow the Jackpots.  It's really a perfect sound to me.  Though you do have the option of using or not using the packing that will be in there from the stock setup.  I tried it at first without packing and thought it sounded a little too hollow and then packed them in with the packing and then thought it was a little to muffled so I went with less packing on the left side and completely took out the packing on the right and ended up with the perfect balance of tone and volume for my tastes.”

I really like the looks of my stock SE mufflers and end caps, and I want to keep them. But the sound coming out of the mufflers is not a deep enough rumble and growl, nor are they loud enough.  Many of you have solved this problem by installing Full Sac baffles; and by adding and removing various amounts of packing you all were able to achieve the sound level and quality that you wanted from the baffles.  I like a loud muffler with a deep rumble and growl (but not as loud as straight pipes). I like the sound level and sound quality of the 4" V&H Monster Rounds or the 4" Rineharts, but as I said I want to keep my stock SE mufflers and end caps. 

I think I will either install a pair of 2.25" baffles or follow Steve at Full Sac's recommendation of installing one 2.25" baffle and one 2.0" baffle.  Based upon the sound level I want I can experiment with swapping the 2 different baffles from side to side. If I want it louder I can install the 2.25" baffle on the right side and the 2.0" baffle on the left side.  If I want it quieter I can install the 2.0" on the right side and the 2.25" on the left side.

Any thoughts?

You are definitely on the right track if you like loud, like 4" Rineharts and want to keep you stock cans and caps.  And as I mentioned before you can also experiment with either no packing at all or different amounts around each of your baffles.  It changes the tone and volume both but more tone than anything.  I am guessing somewhere in there you will find what you are looking for with the 2.25 or a combo with the 2.0 like you mentioned.

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Candy Cobalt/Twilight BLUE RG
Re: Full Sac - Sound Tone and Loudness Comparison
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »

I really loved the sound of the 2" cores with the stock head pipe, but for me the fullsac X pipe and 2" cores is too obnoxious under throttle and on deceleration.  I don't mind loud, but the poppy sound, when shifting and releasing the throttle is too much for me.  I'm not sure what is next for me, but I've got to figure something out.  Good luck in your search.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »

Go Fullsac stage 1 kit with 2 inch cores you will like it.
DND

260SCRMR

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 CUSE3 Crystal Copper/Black Onyx 105th Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »

I had the 4" Rhineharts installed this winter and have loved the sound since starting to ride this spring, BUT, my wife has done nothing but complain every time we ride. She's tried ear plugs but then can't hear the radio. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I need to do something before we leave for Tennesse in June. I don't want to go back to stock so I'm looking for something in between. From reading this I'm wondering if the Fulsac 2.0" would be a good compromise. Has anyone else had this problem?
True Dual Dresser Headpipes
2" Fullsac Power Cores
Stage 1 Chrome A/C
S.E. Super Tuner
Dyno Tune-Brandts HD

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »

I can't compare the new 4" Rhineharts, but can compare the 3.5" that I had on my '06 SEUC to the Fullsac X pipe and 2" cores with packing left in the cans.  The Rhineharts were much louder. Not obnoxious, but too loud, IMO.  They sounded great, but after a full day on the road, even with a Flip Face helmet, my ears were ringing.  Not good...

I do not want anything louder than the 2" cores...they still "sound like a Harley", whatever that means to each individual, but my ears don't ring at the end of the day, and when you get on the throttle, they bark a good bit.  At idle/cruise, they are just right for me.  And, they are not so loud as to offend other, non-motorcyclists...if you act right.  If we don't want noise legislation shoved down our throats, we all better start paying more attention to how much noise we make, and where.

Every Thunderheader I've ever heard is obnoxiously loud...setting off car alarms tends to piss people off.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

260SCRMR

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 CUSE3 Crystal Copper/Black Onyx 105th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »

Do the Fulsac baffles fit into the '08 stock cans? It seems like everything I see here and on the Fulsac website is '09 and newer. Isn't the cat in the can instread of the head pipe on the '08's?
True Dual Dresser Headpipes
2" Fullsac Power Cores
Stage 1 Chrome A/C
S.E. Super Tuner
Dyno Tune-Brandts HD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 25 queries.