Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What is the lean angle before the bike slides out from under us  (Read 12983 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Re: What is the lean angle before the bike slides out from under us
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »

These bikes are referred to as hogs and road pigs ect. not ballerinas. If your draggin your over riding the bike. I have drug floorboard and it makes me uncomfortable.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »

First thing to drag on my bike it the monster oval heat shields - both sides are eaten up.  Most of the scrapes are at intersections when making a turn and there is a dip in the road. 

Like Jerry says, you can move around on the bike to reduce the required lean angle and avoid hard parts.  I tend to ride very aggressively on our beautiful mountain roads in VA and WV, but hardly ever have a shower of sparks.  However, I'm all over that bike when riding in that manner, and never that fast when 2 up.  These large bike respond better than expected to that treatment, even with the sucky stock suspension.
Spada84
NoSofa!

rocrider50

• Let's Ride

• CVO1: 2011 FLHX SE2 Black Diamond Crimson Tag
    • CVO2: 2008 Ultra 105HP
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:15 AM »

The bike will handle all the way to scraping the boards, no problem.  If you know the police techniques you can do a tight circle at 1 MPH scraping the boards all the way, been there done it.  Be careful not to pogo on the board and unload the rear tire.  Our road captins team (I'm one) is competing in a police handling type competition with other road captins this weekend.  Its all about learning advanced riding techniques, check your local college or dealer for an advanced class, some states will let you take the police training class (Mich does).  Know your torque point and holding there is the key.  If you want to see the posibilities search the web for police skill challenges.  You'll be amazed!
 :orange:
Looking for modification tips for the FLHX SE2 if you have any.

LFMC Pharaoh

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide "Blue Thunder"
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 01:12:17 AM »

These bikes are referred to as hogs and road pigs ect. not ballerinas. If your draggin your over riding the bike. I have drug floorboard and it makes me uncomfortable.

Draggin is not over riding the bike.  Might be over riding ability of the operator but not over riding the bike. 
Having been a Motor Officer for years on a FLH I can tell you these bikes are very nimble for the size and weight in the hands of a capable, trained operator.
2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide
Klock Werks 8.5" Dark Smoke Windshield
PYO 10" Monkey Bars
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
7.25" J&M Speakers w/Amp
HD Center Stand
HD Chopped Tour Pak
RAM Mount w/Ipod MP3 Player
RAM Mount w/Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 09:07:07 AM »

Draggin is not over riding the bike.  Might be over riding ability of the operator but not over riding the bike. 
Having been a Motor Officer for years on a FLH I can tell you these bikes are very nimble for the size and weight in the hands of a capable, trained operator.

Ok I concede, a little dragging is ok. The only real way to determine the limit is to approach it slowly and then exceed it. At the lean angle-board pressure you went down minus a tad is the limit. For me when the boards drag I know that the limit is much closer than before. More important to me are road and tire conditions. Gravel sand and water change the game. ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 20 queries.