Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Piston "Slap"  (Read 10566 times)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Piston "Slap"
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:39:53 AM »

Would you insinuate a TROLL is on this site :nixweiss:

No... There is no bait on that hook.. :P

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 06:53:19 AM »

. What he believes, is everybody his this problem and if you don't send him your motor to fix then you are in real trouble  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:

Simple discussion in regards to piston noises, and this? Really?
How did you concieve that? A Magic 8 Ball?

SilveRT8

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »

I was told many 110 have piston slap because the pistons have short skirts.
My mechanic told me that even when they rebuild with thight tolerances it will eventually come back. Any alternative piston with longer skirt to cure this once and for all ?

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »

I don't believe the skirts on the 110 actually cause piston slap. My S&S T124 has shorter pistons and it doesn't "slap" with 29000klms and burns no oil.
I believe its another case of piss poor quality and control from Harley, this fits with the out of round cylinders, lifters made of ground up toyotas, parts falling off etc etc.
Most PHD's I've met can't read a bore gauge, would n't know piston slap from a loose wheel bearing!!
I wonder how long it will be before somebody will win a majorlaw suit against Harley for their incompetence, or how many people will die riding their latest junk. Brakes that fail, clutches that don't clutch, compensator sprockets that fall off, steering neck bearings, bolts falling out of transmissions and leaking oil all over the rear tire. The list goes on and on.
Harley has become all about the shareholders profits and could care less about you. I'll be keeping my 01 Dyna, and buying another brand unless HD proves they can actually build a motorcycle again. twinotter

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

I was told many 110 have piston slap because the pistons have short skirts.
My mechanic told me that even when they rebuild with thight tolerances it will eventually come back. Any alternative piston with longer skirt to cure this once and for all ?

You've been told some typical Harley BS.  The pistons on a 110 are slightly shorter than the ones on a TC88/96, but we aren't talking huge amounts.  And no, you can't use longer pistons.  They would tend to hit each other or the flywheels at the bottom of the stroke if the skirts were longer.  btw, since all 110's use the exact same length piston, why would it be that only "many" have piston slap?  If the length of the skirt was the real cause, they would "all" have piston slap, not just "many" of them.

If the cylinders are machined properly and the pistons fit properly to the bores, you will get very little rocking of the piston in the bore.  Eventually, with a lot of miles and wear, clearance will increase and of course there will be more "rock".  But I'm talking about a lot of miles.

With all the various noises these engines make, how do you know you have "piston slap"? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.