Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Ok, let's talk cams.......  (Read 5092 times)

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

• CVO1: 2012 CVO RGC "Dirty Skunk"
Ok, let's talk cams.......
« on: May 18, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »

I know god forbid another thread on cams. I did use the search function, but the cams of interest to me which turned up did so on threads from 2010 and earlier so I wanted to see if anything has changed.

I am interested in the Cyclerama 575 cams, they seem to put the power in a useable rpm range for me, and seem to be good bang for the buck without having to take the heads off, but seem like they would also still do the job if heads were pulled later on.

I am not chasing peak numbers, and have no interest racing anyone. Has anyone as of late used these cams? Or is anyone still running them on their bike?

Would like some feedback here, I know the Andrews 54 is also good, but seems they do better with more compression, and like I said I wanted to see how I could avoid that at this time.

Thanks for your time  :2vrolijk_21:

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Ok, let's talk cams.......
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »

A wood 5 will suit you better.

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »

A wood 5 will suit you better.

The 5-6?

Someone recommended the 777 but seems like it would be lacking down low from the sheets I have seen........

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »

Yep TW5-6
with the right pipe and tune 110/120 SAE and on early

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »

Yep TW5-6
with the right pipe and tune 110/120 SAE and on early

How late will it run to? The 255's fall flat at about 4,200.........

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 10:31:21 PM »

The 255's fall flat at about 4,200.........

I think they carry out a little further than that, but that's fairly revving the piss out of it from where they start.  I know I hardly ever see much over 4k with them in my 103.  Just no need for it.

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »

I think they carry out a little further than that, but that's fairly revving the piss out of it from where they start.  I know I hardly ever see much over 4k with them in my 103.  Just no need for it.

We all have different riding styles, and I myself ride completely different when I'm out with the boys ripping it VS being out with my wife on the back for a nice night out. So it would be nice to have something that made some more power and carried out to maybe 5K "for me". I don't do it all the time, but it does happen.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:53:51 PM by Fire-Medic »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:49:09 PM »

5K to 5,200 with stock heads and TB
Racing is fringe and many get sold that menu item when all they really need and are happier with is a fixed torque curve. Bill fold likes the later :orange:

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 01:06:12 AM »

I am interested in the Cyclerama 575 cams, they seem to put the power in a useable rpm range for me, and seem to be good bang for the buck without having to take the heads off, but seem like they would also still do the job if heads were pulled later on.

I am not chasing peak numbers, and have no interest racing anyone. Has anyone as of late used these cams? Or is anyone still running them on their bike?

I was talking on the phone with Herko (John) just prior to picking up my '12 UC.  He suggested those cams, but I wanted to do something "now" and the 255s were available cheap to me and I knew I'd be happy with them.  Plus the dealer installed them so warranty's still intact as far as that goes.  Actually, I'm not really "happy" with them.  More like "elated".  The bike might not have the highest top speed, but it gets very quick very quickly.

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 01:17:04 AM »

I was talking on the phone with Herko (John) just prior to picking up my '12 UC.  He suggested those cams, but I wanted to do something "now" and the 255s were available cheap to me and I knew I'd be happy with them.  Plus the dealer installed them so warranty's still intact as far as that goes.  Actually, I'm not really "happy" with them.  More like "elated".  The bike might not have the highest top speed, but it gets very quick very quickly.

I do not disagree with any of that at all, just looking for something that doesn't make the engine run as hot (high CCP) I live in FL hot enough as is, and something that rides out a bit higher on the RPM range.

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »

Well, I can sympathize with being in the deep south...  Does the higher cranking pressure really produce that much more heat, or are there other factors and/or is that just what you've heard?  It hasn't been a problem for me yet, even with a brand new motor in the height of the heat last fall here in centralish IN.  I leave my lowers on year 'round.

I believe you're signed up at harleytechtalk.  The thread is about a 110 with 255s, but a couple of folks got to talking about how much they loved those cams in their 103, with several folks arguing that it's not a good idea.  Anyway, not entirely pertinent to you, but have a read of this post in that thread.

I looked at both the 54H and the 575s.  For my taste they move the torque too far to the right.  The new Andrews 57 sounds to be promising.  We'll know more as they get onto the road more.

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »

Well, I can sympathize with being in the deep south...  Does the higher cranking pressure really produce that much more heat, or are there other factors and/or is that just what you've heard?  It hasn't been a problem for me yet, even with a brand new motor in the height of the heat last fall here in centralish IN.  I leave my lowers on year 'round.

I believe you're signed up at harleytechtalk.  The thread is about a 110 with 255s, but a couple of folks got to talking about how much they loved those cams in their 103, with several folks arguing that it's not a good idea.  Anyway, not entirely pertinent to you, but have a read of this post in that thread.

I looked at both the 54H and the 575s.  For my taste they move the torque too far to the right.  The new Andrews 57 sounds to be promising.  We'll know more as they get onto the road more.

I will definitely have a look through the thread.

Let me preface this by saying I am no expert and do not pretend to be one, I just try to read and learn and educate myself as best possible, and learn from those who know more than I.

As for the cranking pressure/heat, well you're right it could be a multitude of things including and not to be forgotten the tune.

I have been told by a few I trust that in the 110's the CCP is over 200 and one individual has seen stock motors as high as 230......It's not my personal experience numbers wise.

What I have experienced personally is this. In my old 103 that I owned I never had an issue with one of the cylinders cutting off because of heat, neither stock nor after the stage 1 I did. To be fair the bike always had stock cams.

On this bike (CVO) if it's a clear sunny hot day, normal for this time of year, and I have been on my bike for a good while as soon as I get off the highway the second or third light I catch the bike starts limp mode. On my Ultra I had my lowers on year round, on this bike I don't have lowers, would like to add a set but then what would that do to the bike the way it sits now.

I am happy with the 255's, but like everyone else around here I would just like a little more, for the torque to carry on a little further and the bike to run better. With all the heat issues I have seen with these motors, and my geographical location I have long term concerns about leaving the 255's in the bike.

This bring up the notion of, would getting rid of the cat and a good tune solve my heat issues? I don't know. Obviously heat will be reduced, but what will it mean long term with these cams.

So basically I am in search of a solution to my concern without having to crack the heads open, but I do enjoy the low end TQ the stock bike produces.

Maybe I am asking for too much?  ;)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »

What the factory did with the SE255 and the CVO 110 heads, the whole packaged 110 motor, is an attempt to civilize the motor package, make it past warranty expiration, and meet emissions. There is a reason they make an exhaust port that actually would make a better intake, slow velocity and with the heat generated by the relatively high compression and slow ignition timing they come with, now with the benefit of a cat, the total emission load is greatly reduced, well obviously to legal levels. What we get is a hot running motor, one that still retains good low end torque albeit too hot, and with very retarded ignition, and relatively high cylinder pressures (dynamic compression)
By adding a later close intake cam at first the statisticians among us will have you believing the low end torque just went good-by but the reality is with a proper mixture and added igniting timing all that can be recaptured and now the motor runs cooler and many of the maladies we see with the 110 go away. The heads are very deep breathers stock so the cam choice needs to be done cautiously and the pipe needs to be very functional (really scavenges) to get the benefits and not sending those slow exhaust ports into the better intake that they really are during overlap. The 57 looks good to me on paper but so does Harleys 254E and the Wood TW5-6 (I have much personal experience with this cam) as an easier to tune option and less pipe dependent. There are others that have proven functional already.

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 12:53:48 AM »

What the factory did with the SE255 and the CVO 110 heads, the whole packaged 110 motor, is an attempt to civilize the motor package, make it past warranty expiration, and meet emissions. There is a reason they make an exhaust port that actually would make a better intake, slow velocity and with the heat generated by the relatively high compression and slow ignition timing they come with, now with the benefit of a cat, the total emission load is greatly reduced, well obviously to legal levels. What we get is a hot running motor, one that still retains good low end torque albeit too hot, and with very retarded ignition, and relatively high cylinder pressures (dynamic compression)
By adding a later close intake cam at first the statisticians among us will have you believing the low end torque just went good-by but the reality is with a proper mixture and added igniting timing all that can be recaptured and now the motor runs cooler and many of the maladies we see with the 110 go away. The heads are very deep breathers stock so the cam choice needs to be done cautiously and the pipe needs to be very functional (really scavenges) to get the benefits and not sending those slow exhaust ports into the better intake that they really are during overlap. The 57 looks good to me on paper but so does Harleys 254E and the Wood TW5-6 (I have much personal experience with this cam) as an easier to tune option and less pipe dependent. There are others that have proven functional already.
You know, its funny.
I have changed the cams in every 110 i have owned.
Never left the shop with out new cams in because all I read bad about the 255.
I even pm'ed you for some advise,  I thank you for your response.

Since my last engine let go at 18,000 miles I decided not to mess with this one to much.
I just put my D&D on it and tuned it.
Left the cams in.
Got 2,000 on the new bike and must say after about the forth tune I am loving the cams.
They seem to run great every where except over 5,000, since I do not go there often that was no big deal.

I guess what I am saying, or asking is.
Do we really need to change these cams out if we get a good tune and exhaust.
Just wondering out loud I guess.

Big Dave

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 12:55:25 AM »

You know, its funny.
I have changed the cams in every 110 i have owned.
Never left the shop with out new cams in because all I read bad about the 255.
I even pm'ed you for some advise,  I thank you for your response.

Since my last engine let go at 18,000 miles I decided not to mess with this one to much.
I just put my D&D on it and tuned it.
Left the cams in.
Got 2,000 on the new bike and must say after about the forth tune I am loving the cams.
They seem to run great every where except over 5,000, since I do not go there often that was no big deal.

I guess what I am saying, or asking is.
Do we really need to change these cams out if we get a good tune and exhaust.
Just wondering out loud I guess.

Big Dave

I'd rather change cams and tune once...........

4 tunes at the average rate of $400 each pays for my stage 1........
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.