Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 104 Octane Booster  (Read 19631 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
104 Octane Booster
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »

I have run 3 tanks of this 104 Octane booster through BLUU with this Hot Weather and crappy gas we have been getting. It is like my 110 motor is on Steroids!! It is running so smoothly and all my pinging in town and even on the freeway in sixth gear has all but disappeared.Very responsive and better gas milage. :2vrolijk_21: Has anyone else used this product in the summer time?
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: 104 Octane Booster
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »

When we were out west (Colorado, Utah, and Arizona) we used the harley octane booster and never got any pinging on our bikes.   I didn't wait till it happened to try it, just eliminated it to start.   Others did have the problem, but they picked up the octane boost and eliminated it.   In Florida with the 93 octane haven't had the pinging issue myself as of yet even with the 10% ethanol gas.   The only thing that had me initially concerned was whether it was sensor safe, and the Harley one was.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:21:28 AM »

ive had really good results with LUCAS octane booster,only one ive ever tried that actully makes a difference

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »

Its called 104 Octane Booster and you can pick it up at Auto Zone. My Harley shop reccomended it to me and boy does it make a difference!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »

I run the 104 Octane Boost in both of my trucks... But, why does every Fuel Injected Harley Owners Manuals explicitally tell you Never add an Octane Boost to your system.

Something on the lines that "It Will Damage The System".

The best we can get here in my area is 90oct from the Chevron stations.

Getting ready to ride through Canada, and have been told I might get lucky to even find 90oct (although I seem to remember finding it, or better).

So, I guess my question is "What Damage to the System is Harley referring to"?   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »

No problem getting 91 octane in Canada, some stations even have 93 octane. I remember Sunoco having 93/94. Most gas in Canada now has 10% ethanol. FWIW  twinotter  ;D

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »

I run the 104 Octane Boost in both of my trucks... But, why does every Fuel Injected Harley Owners Manuals explicitally tell you Never add an Octane Boost to your system.

Something on the lines that "It Will Damage The System".

The best we can get here in my area is 90oct from the Chevron stations.

Getting ready to ride through Canada, and have been told I might get lucky to even find 90oct (although I seem to remember finding it, or better).

So, I guess my question is "What Damage to the System is Harley referring to"?   8)

I wonder why they would say that as they sell their own under Screamin Eagle brand???? :nixweiss:

"MILWAUKEE (June 27, 2011) Ideal for use in areas where premium fuel is not available, Screamin' Eagle® Super Octane Boost (P/N 94867-10, $4.95) from Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories provides a 3 RON (Research Octane Number) boost to the posted pump gas octane. Use of higher-octane gasoline may reduce engine pinging and heat, and improves performance in higher-compression engines. Formulated with a powerful detergent, Octane Boost effectively cleans fuel injectors, carburetors, and intake valve and combustion chamber deposits with just one treatment. One four-ounce bottle of Octane Boost treats one motorcycle tank of fuel. Safe for use with catalyst and oxygen sensor equipped bikes, Screamin' Eagle® Super Octane Boost is the only octane additive tested and approved by Harley-Davidson Motor Co., for use in Harley-Davidson motorcycles."

HOGMIKE

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »

I use 104 when i have it. It works.

Other brands will "work" but 104 seems to be the most uniform across any fuel i have used anywhere.

Without an additive my bike is literally eating itself from the heat and pinging.

Don't get freaked out when you check your plugs and they are redish brown color from the additive. I prefer to mix slightly less that recommended.
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:52:12 PM »

I use Valvtect Octane Boost....buy in 32 oz container and put 4oz in each tank full when I can....and you are right....it does make a difference.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 05:20:28 PM »

Get your bikes tuned properly to run on the available fuel, as opposed to the typical tune from those dyno jockeys trying to squeeze out the last tenth of a horsepower to impress you with the WOT dyno chart, and you won't need to waste all that money on overpriced cans of toluene.  A more conservative tune will solve the problem, and you will be highly unlikely to ever feel the tiny performance difference.

The octane booster industry is a highly misleading and highly profitable business.  Most boosters won't raise the actual octane level even one full point, but those misleading names like 101 or 104 or 110 plus or whatever all sell like hotcakes in every convenience store and gas station in this country.  Even the more potent mixtures that aren't street legal, like the Lucas stuff, won't increase the real octane rating more than a couple points when used in the prescribed ratio.  If you figure the price over a full season to constantly run this stuff, you will see that it wouldn't take very long to spend more than a good tune would cost.  

Do yourselves a favor and find a good tuner (not necessarily the kid at your local Harley shop) and tell him you want a conservative tune that will let you run ping free on 89 octane gas. And fill it with 89 octane when you take it in for the tune.  Or you could buy racing gas in 55 gallon drums I suppose.  You'll need to deal with the damage the lead will do to sensors and stuff, and you'll need to figure out how to carry enough with you for any trip of more than a one tank range, but I'm sure there's a way.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »

I wonder why they would say that as they sell their own under Screamin Eagle brand????

I didn't know Harley marketed their own brand of boost.  I'm quite fond of the 104, so I may just carry a couple of bottles through Canada.

Thanks. 
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »

So bottom line, is any octane boost ok to run?
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »

So bottom line, is any octane boost ok to run?

Can't answer that, since we don't know exactly what is in all octane boost products.  Most contain toluene, which in the amounts recommended on the label shouldn't harm either the fuel system or the engine.  If Harley sells their own brand, rest assured any warning not to use such products is just more of their never ending attempt to force you to use only the stuff they profit from.  For instance, according to Harley SYN3 is good stuff, but no other synthetic is "certified" for use in a Harley.  That's because Harley purposely refuses to test and certify any brand but their own, even though many are actually superior.  I assume they will eventually start selling Harley branded air for the tires and start warning customers that they should only use Harley air because it's the only stuff certified for use in a Harley tire.  The sad part is there are a lot of people out there who would fall for that like they do for all the other BS Harley puts out.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 08:11:37 PM »

Is the Harley brand of boost good stuff? If i am going to buy some anyway...
Alan

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »

Jerry Thanks for your good feedback on Octane Booster. It seams that Mother Harley gets more complaints out of the southwest during summer because of the high temps 105+ and zero humidity plus poor fuel that we get distributed to us here in Tucson and Phoenix. I have talked to a good tuner and he said he can tune the bike for the high summer heat but that as soon as the temps change in the fall he would have to tune it back. He stated that instead of going through the tunes just use 104 octane booster through the summer time. Jerry my question is will the 104 octane booster harm the motor? Today with it being 103 outside BLUU runs strong and is a real pleasure to ride. (DB) John

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.