Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: changing the oil for the first time on the fxr4  (Read 2330 times)

ro9beam2002

changing the oil for the first time on the fxr4
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »

Getting ready to do my oil change on the fxr4... did a bit of searching and most people like using the 20/50 dino oil vs the syn on the evolution motors?  Also to use the specific evo oil filters and not the twincam ones....   all this pretty much correct?

I noticed that the previous owner had installed a oil cooler on the front, will this make a difference in quantity of "oil"  or the way the oil should be drained?

This will be my first oil change on a evo model.. done plenty on my twinkie though... any info or tips will be greatly appreciated....

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: changing the oil for the first time on the fxr4
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »

Getting ready to do my oil change on the fxr4... did a bit of searching and most people like using the 20/50 dino oil vs the syn on the evolution motors?  Also to use the specific evo oil filters and not the twincam ones....   all this pretty much correct?

I noticed that the previous owner had installed a oil cooler on the front, will this make a difference in quantity of "oil"  or the way the oil should be drained?

This will be my first oil change on a evo model.. done plenty on my twinkie though... any info or tips will be greatly appreciated....

Yes on the filter...use the one for Evo motors.  The Dino vs Synthetic...there's no valid reason not to use Synthetic oil in an Evo.  Or any engine for that matter.  With synthetic, you can easily go 5K between changes.  There's a bunch of "old wives tales" out there about it, but there is no validity to any of them. The oil cooler will require a little bit more oil in the system, but not a significant amount.  Better to run 1/3 to 1/2 quart low than too much...it'll just blow out the air cleaner if it's overfull.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ro9beam2002

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »

Since it has a oil cooler, should i drain the oil from the cooler line itself instead of the tank?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »

Since it has a oil cooler, should i drain the oil from the cooler line itself instead of the tank?

The small amount of oil that might be left in the cooler is insignificant with regards to total volume.  If the motor was blown up with a bunch of metal floating around in the system, then yea, you'd need to do a thorough drain/flush.  Modern oils, and especially synthetic oil, can go much longer than the "old way" of thinking with regards to change intervals.  As in there are still a lot of people who change their oil in their cars/bikes every 3,000 miles, which is totally unwarranted.  As long as the motor is run long enough, consistantly, to get to full operating temps for a decent period of time, the oil does not get contaminated with moisture and other bad things.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:31:10 PM »

I use the Scavenger and it actually flushes all the oil left which when you see the oil you feel better than leaving it in there.  And I do change the oil every 2500-3000.  Don't have do, but do it anyway.

http://www.roguechopper.com/products/Evolution_Scavenger_Kit_RC101.htm

Any day on the bike is a good day.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »

Hello~

I run my 1999 FXR2 with 3.0 Quarts of oil.

I run my 2002 RKC which holds 4 quarts of oil with 3.5 quarts of oil but I am running an Oil Cooler on that bike so I run an extra .25 quart of oil for that....so essentially I am running 3.75 quarts of oil.

I would probably run your FXR with 3.125 quarts of oil and see if you hit the full mark, if you don't then keep going but not over .25 quarts total for the oil cooler.

Regards,

Tim

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 20 queries.