Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Engine cuts out  (Read 6125 times)

RayMac

Engine cuts out
« on: July 23, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »

My 2005 Road King Classic has recently developed a problem.While cruising engine cuts out for a brief moment,then runs fine.This initially happened on a long run,did it once and not again for a couple of runs later.Yesterday it did it 3 different times than was fine for about a half hour,than died completely.Started right back up and was fine for the rest of the day.No codes,checked all obvious connections.Not sure if it is fuel or electrical. Any ideas?

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Engine cuts out
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »

My 2005 Road King Classic has recently developed a problem.While cruising engine cuts out for a brief moment,then runs fine.This initially happened on a long run,did it once and not again for a couple of runs later.Yesterday it did it 3 different times than was fine for about a half hour,than died completely.Started right back up and was fine for the rest of the day.No codes,checked all obvious connections.Not sure if it is fuel or electrical. Any ideas?

Thinking electrical.........more info needed........cruising? straight road? load? no load? heat? etc........more info would help I think.
 8)
HOGMIKE

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »

Make sure the battery cables are tight.  Seen that on 2 bikes.  Mine was one of them.  Tighten the cables, runs fine.

Brad

RayMac

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »

So far there is really no rhyme or reason for this thats what makes it so frustrating. I happened under different heat conditions meaning both hot and cool air temperatures which effects engine temperature. Happened on straight roadway with both passenger and solo ride.Feels like you shut the ignition off for a split second then turn it back on .What bothers me s that it actually quit alltogether that one time. I'm gonna take a 30 to 45 minute ride a couple of afternoons this week and see what happens .Knowing the problem I will try to take notice any other symptoms that occur

RayMac

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »

I did check cables at battery and starter all good . I also checked most electrical connections. Wiil start with other ones like ign.switch,on/off switch ect..... next. Than maybe fuel lines and filter.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »

If it is electrical and throwing no codes do the simple and free things first.  Clean and tighten cables.  When/if that's not it replace the crank sensor.  Far and away the most common culprit for problems as you describe that don't throw a code.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »

If the handlebar run/stop switch has been used regularly to stop the engine, have a good look at it. These are a DOT required switch that is not meant for continuous service.
I have seen them worn out and becoming intermittent before.

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

RayMac

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 12:10:24 AM »

would a bad crank sensor throw a code?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »

would a bad crank sensor throw a code?

They very often do not.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 03:53:45 AM »

In the past someone mentioned a broken fuel fitting in the tank. Seems like the simptoms would be longer in duration but is this a possible culprit?
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

RayMac

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:38:43 AM »

Guess Ill start with the easy stuff first,check fuel lines ,change fuel filter,check all of my connections ect......Thanks to eveyone for the input Ill keep everyone posted, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »

My '03 SERK did this for over a year with me and the local indie trying to solve it.  Never threw a code either.  I went through the same process of elimination: fuel filter, bad gas?, crank sensor, check connections, etc.  Then, I read about another rider on another forum with the same problem and he finally solved it by replacing the throttle position sensor (TPS).  So, I thought I'd try it since the part is only about $30.00 and very easy to replace.  Problem solved; I was a happy rider again.  I certainly thought a bad TPS would throw codes, but mine did this intermittently for over a year and never did.  Go figure.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

RayMac

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »

For 30 bucks its worth its worth it to at least eliminate that off my check list Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »

For 30 bucks its worth its worth it to at least eliminate that off my check list Thanks

Have seen the TPS behave this way.  But only a couple of times ever.  Have seen numerous crank sensors behave this way.  CPS sensor is easier to change too. 

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »

I have been reading where the 4-5 wire connector at the rear of the throttle body gets loose or comes unhooked from its locks. Vibration the most obvious reason, can cause intermittent problems like you have described. Check the pins for wear/ bent, use dialectric grease. FWIW  twinotter
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.