Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Michigan switches to BMW for Cop bikes  (Read 6622 times)

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
Re: Michigan switches to BMW for Cop bikes
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 11:23:04 PM »

Except for this "The issue is not bike/style".  For me the Harley is the perfect bike/style.

I guess I was not as clear as I thought I was.  Members here do not have a problem with the bike and style.  Our gripe is about the quality and treatment issues.

I agree with you guppytrash, I love the styles and and the low end torque.  I have to say, I still think the 2009 Yellow SERG is one of the besting looking bikes I have ever seen.  And I am very pleased to own one.  The other "harley" wannabes just don't have the look I enjoy.  I am sure they are more reliable though.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2012, 01:16:27 AM »

@Twolanerider: I'm fully aware that a bike is a machine and has no "soul" in a religious sense.
When you read my post you'll see that I describe the unique style and "imperfection" of a Harleys as thei soul. You can't explain it to somebody who has never driven such a bike, but we "feel" it - why else would we buy such overprized bikes (and yes, I know HD marketing does a good job, but that wasn't the reason why I bought one.)
You can use different words for it - for me my bike has it's moods, good and bad days, makes me often happy and drives me sometimes crazy. So it must have something like a soul  ::)

Didn't take it that way at all.  Would never impute a religious connotation to the oft used "soul" as it's used to discuss an HD bike.  Just to highlight how bent we all are and how lemming-esque we can be (as we chase our motorcycle individuality in copycat t-shirts and leathers) as we pursue the "idea" of the Harley it's worth noting that the disucssion has touched on religion before though.  In fact the discussion has come to more than one deity (Springsteen and Jesus [though I understand that for some these are the same thing]).

A Philosphy PhD named Randall Auxier wrote an interesting piece on whether Springsteen rode a Harley as his "suicide machine."  In the same piece he postulated whether Jesus would have (or in fact might have or would someday [the whole potential resurrection thing plays hell {pardon me} with the tenses]) ridden a Harley.  After much ontological parsing this august (i.e., someone who spent a lot of time and money getting a Philosophy PhD) personage came to the conclusion that Springsteen and Jesus (assuming they are separate entities) would indeed ride Harleys and that Jesus may in fact have done so in to Jerusalem.  But I digress.... 

What the word (soul, in case everyone else, like me, forgot about what we were talking about) is, however, is a better sounding more expensive way of saying they are significantly imperfect idiosyncratic quirky things that for reasons we don't give enough thought to make us complacent about all the trouble they can cause us and the expenses that are attendant to having them.  Oh chit, they're women ??? .

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2012, 02:05:00 AM »

I have worked most of my career with BMW (and recently Ducati) and I have to assume that the people on this thread that are talking about switching over to BMW or Ducati have never had one before... I see some of the horrible stories with some of the Harley dealers and I am really sorry to see that but I have to tell you that the service I have received from both the dealer in Bend OR (Wildhorse Harley) where I bought the bike and San Diego Harley where I have done all the work have been absolutely world class! There is not a BMW or Ducati dealer that I have ever met or heard of that is even on the same planet as them...
As I said in a earlier thread, I did everything I could this time to not buy a Harley (not to mention that I get employee pricing on BMW which is very compelling and Ducati which is just OK but certainly better than getting no deal with Harley) and was just about to pull the trigger on the new Diavel when I went to the Harley dealer just to "make sure"...
Even though at the end of the day I spent a ton more money on the SERGC then I would have, I am so glad I did!

For those of you that think "the grass is greener" go on their "enthusiasts" forums and check out what they are dealing with and what their bikes are worth when they get "fed up" and and what they are paying to repair/maintain them and hopefully it will help you enjoy what though certainly not perfect, is definitely the funnest (soul?) coolest bike in the world and I am not talking about their marketing (which I personally think is not very effective but what do I know...)

Alan

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2012, 09:20:22 AM »

Interesting thread.

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »

Didn't take it that way at all.  Would never impute a religious connotation to the oft used "soul" as it's used to discuss an HD bike.  Just to highlight how bent we all are and how lemming-esque we can be (as we chase our motorcycle individuality in copycat t-shirts and leathers) as we pursue the "idea" of the Harley it's worth noting that the disucssion has touched on religion before though.  In fact the discussion has come to more than one deity (Springsteen and Jesus [though I understand that for some these are the same thing]).

A Philosphy PhD named Randall Auxier wrote an interesting piece on whether Springsteen rode a Harley as his "suicide machine."  In the same piece he postulated whether Jesus would have (or in fact might have or would someday [the whole potential resurrection thing plays hell {pardon me} with the tenses]) ridden a Harley.  After much ontological parsing this august (i.e., someone who spent a lot of time and money getting a Philosophy PhD) personage came to the conclusion that Springsteen and Jesus (assuming they are separate entities) would indeed ride Harleys and that Jesus may in fact have done so in to Jerusalem.  But I digress.... 

What the word (soul, in case everyone else, like me, forgot about what we were talking about) is, however, is a better sounding more expensive way of saying they are significantly imperfect idiosyncratic quirky things that for reasons we don't give enough thought to make us complacent about all the trouble they can cause us and the expenses that are attendant to having them.  Oh chit, they're women ??? .
You finally figured it out for all the rest of us.
Yes Don they are a lot like women, we want them, we dress them up to make them more beautiful
and more functional, and at the same time they can irritate the piss out of us when the don't
function the way we think they should. :bananarock:

I hope my wife doesn't see this.  :nervous:

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »

About two years ago, the City of San Jose dumped Harleys in favor of Honda ST1300s.  The guys didn't like it at first, but do love the bikes now.  There are still a few hold outs, but most have moved to the new bikes and are enjoying the benefits.

Those stats appear to be a little on the Conservative side or for a base equipped HD.  we all know Harleys can be made to run like a scalded dawg and handle very well, but the additional cost of bringing them up to snuff is what the agencies are looking at.  

If Harley would get smart, they'd produce a 120r equipped Ultra with an upgraded suspension in a "Police Special" edition that can't be bought retail.  The automobile industry did it for years with Crown Vics and other models.  I'd bet MoCo could make those without too much extra cost, saving taxpayers and resecuring the market.  It's a shame foreign companies are getting our tax money.   :nixweiss:
can't do that,..stopping hard and taking off hard would f*** the cranks up.....lol

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »

After much ontological parsing this august (i.e., someone who spent a lot of time and money getting a Philosophy PhD) personage came to the conclusion that Springsteen and Jesus (assuming they are separate entities) would indeed ride Harleys and that Jesus may in fact have done so in to Jerusalem

:worthless:

Just sayin!!  :huepfenjump3:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »

:worthless:

Just sayin!!  :huepfenjump3:

No such luck.  Jesus's dad might have been taking pics.  But the digital camera he commanded forth couldn't be charged in immediate post-BCE Jerusalem.  Always miss the great pics for a dead battery.

jacks

• Full CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHXSEa my new love from Orlando to Melb.

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Streetglide Spiced Rum
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2012, 04:27:59 AM »

The boys in blue here are all on Beemas..., looks like a passing era is taking place over there...
2010 110 w/ S.E.R.T., High flow exh., 585 SE cam...
Developing 112.8 HP and 128.8 FtLb of torque...
Tuned to perfection...
Love of baiting the "Boy Racers"...

GenaroMorra

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 04:06:59 AM »

Did you really read what I wrote? I didn't make a single excuse for HD' s lack of quality. I did say the MOCO rested on the sales momentum of the last two decades (without any forward thinking). Maybe the EPA has looked the other way but they certainly aren't doing that now. And there is no question that tree hugging environmentalists now run your government. They want everyone to drive electric and battery cars, ride bicycles and buy solar panels.            

It sounds good..But practically using renewable sources of energy everywhere is not applicable at all..
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:35:38 AM by GenaroMorra »

mark

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »

Wow.  Just some thoughts:

The police mkt is a small portion of motorcycle sales.  Harley losing some police agencies to other manufacturers is a drop in the bucket.

Govt agencies are about the bottom dollar.  If BMWs are the low bid and cheaper to maintain, then BMW it is.

Suitability for police use:  The MSP official cited the BMW's top speed of 131 mph as a positive.  I can't imagine any police administrator allowing motorcycle pursuits anywhere close to that speed.

Lastly, we ride Harleys because they're cool, not for their advanced engineering or handling.  I doubt if anyone is going to run out and trade their CVO because the MSP chose BMWs.  That'd be like me trading my Expedition for a Tahoe because that's what the police bought.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »

Talked to a motor officer in one of the neighboring cities last summer about the BMWs his department had switched to the year before.  He said the bike was OK but not as easy to handle at low speed.  And he went on to say the city was re-considering their decision as the maintenance costs on the BMWs was much higher than with the Harleys.  I suspect that the BMWs may not have as many out of service conditions but when they do have a problem it is big $$$.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »

Talked to a motor officer in one of the neighboring cities last summer about the BMWs his department had switched to the year before.  He said the bike was OK but not as easy to handle at low speed.  And he went on to say the city was re-considering their decision as the maintenance costs on the BMWs was much higher than with the Harleys.  I suspect that the BMWs may not have as many out of service conditions but when they do have a problem it is big $$$.
I guess someone did not do the full cost analysis on this decision?
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2014, 07:09:13 PM »

tysndys

• Full CVO Member
    • UT

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 (sold)
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »

When anyone find out you have a bike do they ever ask "is it a Honda"? Or any other foreign make.  I get it we spend more but we like them.
Tires just don't last long enough
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 20 queries.